CARY GRANT

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Birdy

Re: CARY GRANT

Post by Birdy »

Hey, what's left over for the rest of us?
Oh, well.

JackFavell: You're right - I can every word of that dialogue in Cary's accent.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

knitwit45 wrote:DEAL!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
That's settled then :D :lol:

I read in Cary's biography that he was wanted for the role in Ninotchka. Reading those exchanges I can see why. I can't imagine Garbo and Cary together, part of me thinks it would be wonderful and another part can't quite see how their onscreen personas would mix. They'd certainly make a handsome pair. Ninotchka is a film I've yet to see.

I don't know whether it's just me but when I was in my teens I thought the Hollywood male stars were at the peak of their attractiveness in their late thirties early forties and I still do although I stretch it out now until mid fifties. I've never been into teen idols or younger men always slightly maturer man.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ninotchka is a film I've yet to see.
Alison, RUN, don't walk to your local source for movies and rent it.!!!!

I'm going out on a limb here, but the remake, Silk Stockings, with Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse and Janis Paige is a delight in itself. Ms. Charisse was never lovelier, and Fred was terrific, too. Janis Paige was kind of thrown in for comedy, and her part was really not necessary, but that was Hollywood of the 50's.

Be sure to see Ninotchka first, tho...
charliechaplinfan

Now I've finished Jeffrey Wandsell's biography of Cary Grant Haunted Idol and I now know what Dyan Cannon said about him and how their relationship descended into spitefulness. I like my idols untarnished but I bit the bullet and read it through to the end. I'm glad I did, he was a deeply complex man, he took all the blame for the failure of his marriages and happily he found the right girl in the end. This is a biography that I would recommend as the author takes pains to try and understand his subject.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it Alison! :D
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Cary Grant actually got better looking in middle age, IMO. What a handsome, dashing man. His greatest asset as an actor was his innate humor. Always there, under the surface. That's why he could move so easily between comedic and dramatic roles.

My favorite Cary films are Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story and North by Northwest.

Sandy K
charliechaplinfan

Mine too, but I'd add in Sylvia Scarlett and Notorious.

As for his looks I preferred it when he was in his screwball heyday, he got a little too thin for my liking.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I've always thought his transition into his FATHER GOOSE looks were pretty great, too. I enjoy that film but, for me, it's the disembodied voice of Trevor Howard that steals it - "Walter? WALTER?"!!" Never has so little gone so far for so many...
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I didn't realize that was Trevor Howard in Father Goose! How could I not? I've watched Father Goose many times--I don't understand why it's considered a lesser Cary Grant film. I find his performance very believable, even if it was a bit of a departure for him. Honestly, if an unattractive, truly curmudgeonly man was cast in that role, I'd find the love story a bit of a stretch. But, with Grant, it works.

Another Grant fave--The Bishop's Wife. I watch it every December. I love ALL the performances in that film. David Niven is perfect as the pastor having a crisis staying true to his values, Loretta Young is beautiful as his wife, Gladys Cooper--I LOVE her in all her films. Oh, and Monty Wooley, James Gleason--what a wonderful cast.
Sandy K
pvitari

Cary Grant

Post by pvitari »

I wasn't really planning to write anything about Cary Grant. ;)

But I found this photo online and I just had share it with someone. I think it's the, erm, hottest photo I've ever seen of Cary Grant. :) It's from 1932 and the photographer is Imogen Cunningham.

JackFavell

Re: Cary Grant

Post by JackFavell »

whoa!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Actually, I don't like this photo. He looks like he's been barbecued; and kind of puffy-faced, too. I'm not big on chin clefts, but I don't generally mind it on Grant. But this photo -- too much for me. Looks like a Georgia O'Keeffe painting.

Boy, all that sounded really grumpy, didn't it? Not meant that way, but I really don't like the photo.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Cary Grant was the lead with Grace Moore in "When Your In Love" from 1937. In that movie he looked and sounded almost the same as "to Catch A thief" - 1955. He seems to be a visual legend.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The old Cary Grant thread (with a link to an even older CG thread within) for those who might be interested:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =22&t=3402
charliechaplinfan

Thanks, I knew we had a thread here somewhere.

Personally, I prefer Cary Grant all ruffled up in his screwball comedies, I'm thinking Bringing Up Baby, though not in the negligee. No one has floppy hair like Cary Grant.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on June 26th, 2010, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.