Thomas Mitchell

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Thomas Mitchell

Post by moira finnie »

Though we have discussed actor Thomas Mitchell a few times in other threads, notably ones on character actors, I think he deserves one to himself. A powerhouse actor, he had the hottest streak of any actor in 1939, (that extraordinary year, seventy years ago, when the Hollywood studio system may have reached its zenith). Now, he's been lucky enough to have our pal Alan K. Rode write a splendid profile about him on his site, which you can read here.

As someone who has been hunting for more information on this private man behind the actor for a long time, this is a welcome addition to Thomas Mitchell's portrait for me. Great job, Alan.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Re: Thomas Mitchell

Post by klondike »

What a great article by our bud AKR, Moira!
Thanks for the link.
The Mrs. & I are devout fans of Tommy Mitchell, whom we often refer to as "The Man Who Never Went Home" (cause when did he ever find time to?), and I must confess we've often warmed up more comfortably to a slow-starting old gem or two or three when TM pops up unexpectedly in one of those scene-stealing supporting roles.
In fact, he seems to have been so much the lunchbox timepuncher [despite being a brilliant performer], even Jack Warner must've had to admit that as film-by-film assets went, Tom Mitchell was a guarantee for box-office returns.
All that notwithstanding, I have to admit that my favorite Mitchell role just might be where I noticed him by name for the first time ever - as Charlton Heston's sweaty, shifty, honey-tongued rival/partner/nemesis in 55's Secret of the Incas.
But wait, no, hold it - what about his memorable patriarch in Three Cheers for the Irish? So tough-minded, so noble, so empathic to his community, so comically irritated by Alan Hale & Frankie Jenks . .
Ohhh . . I don't know . . I can't decide . . . :?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

One of my family's running jokes has to do with Thomas Mitchell's Uncle Billy of It's a Wonderful Life when he's leaving the party for Jimmy Stewart's brother. He's quite drunk, and stumbles off, headed for home. Out of view, you hear trash cans crashing, and he calls out "I'm all right, I'm alllllllll right". Whenever one of us would have a silly accident, that was the call. "I'm all right, I'm ALLLLLL right!"

Loved that man, loved his voice.

Thanks for starting this thread,and especially for the AKR article.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's a great article, I've enjoyed reading it. I think my favorite of his portrayals is as the Kid in Only Angels Have Wings, despite the fact he and Cary Grant look like they've come from seperate generations, the close ties between them and the chemistry work really well.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Knit, you mentioned perhaps my favorite funny Thomas Mitchell... "I'm allllright..." I love that scene's construction. I've always thought its off-camera usage was just perfect.

I've never seen his 1940 SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, one of the films I'm always searching for - about 40% because of him and 60% because of the tale.

When the FORD AT FOX boxset came out, I'd never seen THE LONG VOYAGE HOME, and that may have my favorite performance of his, but he's got so many that I've never seen. He did a lot of TV-theater shows, too. An amazing number.

He's probably not the first actor I envision when I think of "Character Actor" but he's one of the best. I think he took on a lot of central-character roles in films that may have elevated him from my "mere character actor" status.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I was visiting my son in Cologne, Germany 2 years ago, when I had a small accident. The cobblestoned streets are quite uneven, and he always warns visitors to watch their step. We were leaving a lovely restaurant one night, it was quite dark and we had just shared a bottle of wine.. :oops: :oops: Anyway, instead of stepping up to the curb, I missed it, my hands were tangled in my backpack/purse, and I was headed straight for the pavement, face first. Casey turned around just in time to see me pitch forward, and grabbed me, flipped me over on my side and down we both went. Since it was Christmas time, it was cold, and I was bundled up and so was he. It knocked the wind out of me, and as I came back up, laughing (I always do that when I'm nervous, flustered, etc) all I could say was, "I'm all right, I'm allllllll right!". Casey thought I was nuts....probably right, too........
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great stories, all!

Ollie, I know you probably prefer a DVD, but you can see Swiss Family Robinson (1940) here in our "Lost Movies on Youtube" thread.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

It is difficult for me not to enjoy Thomas Mitchell whenever he's on screen (or off, as in the IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE scene), but I particularly like him in DARK WATERS (1944) -- probably because his character seems so un-Thomas Mitchell.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A majestic character actor. One of the best. Always dependable, it's difficult for me to choose a favorite role.

Thomas Mitchell gets attention from Norma Shearer & Edward G. Robinson
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Have you seen Mitchell in Moontide? He was very good as the bullying, hulking pal (named Tiny) of Jean Gabin, jealous of Gabin's interest in Ida Lupino, and ultimately doing some pretty nasty things to poor Ida.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:Have you seen Mitchell in Moontide? He was very good as the bullying, hulking pal (named Tiny) of Jean Gabin, jealous of Gabin's interest in Ida Lupino, and ultimately doing some pretty nasty things to poor Ida.
I've never heard of Moontide, though I love the name, and the cast sounds pretty cinchy; and Boy Howdy, TM's character must've been jam-pack on sheer nerve, to have squared off with Ida Hot-Pistol Lupino!
I wouldn't have dared; that woman always seemed ready to bite off whatever threatened her, and spit it back in yer face!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I watched both Swiss Family Robinson's this weekend -- the 1940 version with Thomas Mitchell and the 1960 version with John Mills. They're both available on YouTube. I liked the 1940 version a lot better, particularly Mitchell's performance. :)
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Moira, "Prefer" is one thing but "It's the only thing we have" answers all other questions. Thanks!!
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Mitchell is one of those actors that if I see his name in the opening credits of an unfamiliar movie, I'm comforted to know that if nothing else, at least he'll be worth watching. He's up there with people like Franklin Pangborn, Edward Everett Horton, John Qualen, Walter Brennan, and Guy Kibbee.

How Mitchell's a bit different in that he's much trickier to pigeonhole, he wasn't typecast as a drunk, foreigner, or a pansy, so he got to appear in much wider variety of roles than most of the great character actors.

I think he's wonderful in The Long Voyage Home, he kind of keeps everything in check, without him John Wayne's Swede could have seemed quite ridiculous, but Mitchell is kind of a sobering presence.

He's also excellent although pretty unlikable in Make Way For Tomorrow (one of the great unsung films of the era), as the doddering son who insists on splitting up his aged parents because there's simply no way he can afford to have them both stay with him.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields