William Wyler, The Heiress and other movies

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
silentscreen

Re: William Wyler, The Heiress and other movies

Post by silentscreen »

I've never seen The Heiress, but I caught the last parts on youtube. He should've suspected her when she gave him his intended wedding gift right away,(as though she wanted the last reminder of him out of the house.) wanted to run off right away, and then acted so cool to his embraces. Sad that she became so hard over the years.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Brenda, I'm sure it's a movie you'd love. It's quite romantic, it's what my husband would term a woman's picture, even if it's not a perfect romance.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Brenda, I'm sure it's a movie you'd love. It's quite romantic, it's what my husband would term a woman's picture, even if it's not a perfect romance.
8) Plus it has Monty Clift in it. He looks quite young-too young for Olivia's character. As you say, if he had left something of an explanation before he deserted her, it would have made a difference. She had all those years to brood. I shouldn't mind seeing the entire movie.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

If you're a fan of William Wyler, may I add my recommendation to Moira's to see two of his lesser-known films that in recent years have finally been made available via Kino Home Video - the (albeit a bit stagy) drama Counsellor at Law (1933, w/ John Barrymore and Bebe Daniels) and the lighter The Good Fairy (1935, w/ a luminous Margaret Sullavan and a scene-stealing Frank Morgan).

Given the manner in which Kino marketed the films, I expected them to be the sort of mediocre-but-interesting fare that you expect when you pick up a movie that's somewhat marginal in its appeal. I was surprised that I really enjoyed both. If you've a NetFlix queue and are interested in Wyler's oeuvre but have yet to see these, I'd recommend adding both.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Dear Moira,

I tend to find my favorite films in general in the '30s (of Wyler, Cooper, Borzage, Sullavan, Lubitsch, etc.). It is a very special decade for me -now I'd also add the '20s-, nothwithstanding that there are excellent films of the '40s.
While I love Wyler's movies in the 40s too, inevitably, as he changed and Hollywood did, his movies became gradually more ambitious and self-conscious, though they were also more impressive as dramatic spectacles.
I think you nailed it here Moira and that applies to the work of other directors like David Lean (compare his '40s work with his super-productions)

Re. Wyler, I have read very favorable reviews on "Hell's Heroes", but sadly it is difficult to find. I bought the DVD of "The Collector" some time ago and I only have vague memories of it and I plan to watch it ASAP.
charliechaplinfan

I thought The Good Fairy and Dodsworth were a wonderful movies, I really enjoyed Counsellor at Law too. I think from his later films The Heiress and Roman Holiday rank high. I was taken with The Letter. Two I need to see The Best Years of Our Lives and The Little Foxes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

TBYOOL is magnificent Alison!
charliechaplinfan

Another one to move to the top of the queue :wink:
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

feaito wrote:TBYOOL is magnificent Alison!

I second that!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

For anyone within the U.S. who may be interested, Washington Square (1997) is now available on Hulu.
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

The Best Years of Our Lives is in a perennial battle with Holiday and Stage Door for my favorite film. It's marvelous with memorable performances and brilliant camerawork courtesy Gregg Toland. The first hour is probably my favorite hour in all of cinema. It just sucks you in and never really lets go.

Plus it's the film that introduced me to Myrna.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

huh???? where was Myrna in BYOOL??
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

She is Frederic March's wife. Don't you remember the wonderful shot when he comes home and they see each other down the hall? It is very touching.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I was in la-la land, thinking "Since You Went Away".....sigh....see what happens when you blink???? :oops: :oops: