Victor Jory

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Victor Jory

Post by moira finnie »

Since November 23rd is the anniversary of Victor Jory's birth in 1902 and we have a dayful of Jory movies being featured on TCM, perhaps others might like to post here about this interesting actor, who many of us have praised many times on these boards.
Jory in Gone With the Wind along with Isabel Jewell as Emmy Slattery.

Having seen him play one too many bad guys as a kid, (especially as Injun Joe in Tom Sawyer and as the creepy husband in The Fugitive Kind) I was always frightened and repulsed by him until I began to appreciate his intelligent approach to making even the most threadbare parts something memorable, even when he appeared in serials such as The Shadow and The Green Archer.

I suppose most of us think of him as Jonas Wilkerson, the Tara overseer who couldn't stay away from that "white trash" Slattery girl in GWTW, but his voice, and occasional good guy roles were really intriguing.

An obscure movie from the early '30s, The Devil's In Love (1933-William Dieterle), which shows up on FMC once in awhile seems to have been part of a campaign early in his film career to make him a leading man. Set in the Foreign Legion, we have questions of conscience, sacred and profane love (the first is represented by the seraphic Loretta Young, who later told a writer she did not care for the script or Mr. Jory, the second by Vivienne Osborne, as a loyal, if blowsy born loser from the Casbah), and you have a murder case to solve. All in all, Vic has lots to overcome, and seems a bit perplexed himself to find himself in the lead. I like the way that questions of the elusiveness of truth, and justice are toyed with throughout this movie, as well as Jory's world weary angst.

Do you have a particular favorite of his many roles as a good guy or bad'un?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Re: Victor Jory

Post by mongoII »

Moira, of course I honored the birthday of wonderful character actor Victor Jory in today's CANDIDS thread, and I'm enjoying his tribute on TCM , both good and bad Victor's.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the reminder of your appreciation of Victor Jory, Mongo. I like the picture you chose of him. I believe that it was your recommendation a few years ago that led me to explore his work in serials. I thought he was great as The Shadow. While he excelled at those darker characterizations, I like some of the parts that he played when he had a chance to be a rather ragged, down on his luck or disappointed romantic figure, as he did as the bitter actor in the boarding house in The Lady With Red Hair. I also liked the straight role he played opposite Kay Francis in Woman in the Wind. I always thought that his most tragic role may have been as the father in The Miracle Worker. He's so tormented by his guilt and shame and his need to maintain a facade in his position as the head of his family.

I can't imagine him playing in comedy, though perhaps he could have, given his skill as an actor. When he smiled it was like the sun bursting through a black cloud.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

moirafinnie wrote: I can't imagine him playing in comedy, though perhaps he could have, given his skill as an actor. When he smiled it was like the sun bursting through a black cloud.

If only, if only, I could find a copy of that 78 recording I had as a kid of Jory performing (and singing) Tubby the Tuba. If only, if only I had saved it, but who knew? Of all the Tubby performances I've ever heard, Jory's was by far the best, even trumping my later Danny Kaye version. I'm sure that record is what made me fall in love with Jory's wonderful voice.

Ah, to hear him singing the jolly frog song "By gum, by gum, lovely evening/By gum, by gum," and Tubby's beautiful, melancholy song --- "Alone am I, me and I together . . . . Me and I, oh my/Sigh. " Magic.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

I love him as Oberon in Midsummer Night's Dream. I know it's the costume and I'd love to have a nice photo of him from that film, and have never run across one. :-(
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That would be great, Judith!! Try the NY Public Library next time you're in the neighborhood. I bet they would have it.

With his speaking voice like dark molasses with a hint of rye whiskey, I bet he had a beautiful singing voice.

I can't find even one picture of the man smiling, though I know he did! It was so unusual I had to remember it. Rudyfan, I'll try to get a screen capture of him as Oberon in A Midsummer's Night's Dream. Maybe even one with a smile.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"With his speaking voice like dark molasses with a hint of rye whiskey, I bet he had a beautiful singing voice." - << Moirafinnie >>.

I love Victor Jory's voice. Your description was wonderful
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Well, I found something. YouTube has the George Pal Puppetoon version of Tubby the Tuba (c. 1946), with Jory's narration. Unfortunately, this is not the complete version as I remember it from my 78 record -- most significantly, Tubby's sad song by the riverside is left out, and the final concert is edited as well. I don't know if the original movie is like this, or if it's just an abbreviated version the YouTube poster used.

In any event, it's a bit rushed, but enjoyable -- the piece was intended for children as an introduction to the instruments of the orchestra. The story is by puppeteer and children's TV show host Paul Tripp, and the music is by George Kleinsinger, a prolific composer of scores for documentaries and off-Broadway revues, as well as music for children.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

If you'd given me a choice for a Victor Jory Day, I'd have said, "Why? Naw, no thanks..." But in TCM's wisdom, they showed me how wrong I was - never the star, but he's in so many enjoyable films, and this is one more reason I enjoy TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

SSO member Jacqueline T. Lynch has posted an insightful appreciation of this unsung actor here:
http://anotheroldmovieblog.blogspot.com ... creen.html

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Have a soft spot for Mr. Jory as we share two traits: We're both Canadian and former boxers, though I was an amateur and can't claim championship status. Wonderful actor whose performances I always enjoy; even named a character "Jory" in one of my Westerns after Victor. My only problem was that he was so darn despicable to George Raft in "I Stole A Million" and just as hissable in "Each Dawn I Die". On the other hand, he and Cagney were great friends off the set.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Victor Jory and Rita Hayworth
in The Loves of Carmen 1948 Movie

Victor Jory made a movie with Rita Hayworth in The Loves of Carmen back in 1948. I consider his performance as Garcia was excellent and he did a first class job as a supporting actor back in 1948. I just wanted to share this only photograph that I have of them in that movie and throw in my 2 cents in this thread.

Victor Jory is one of my favorite characters actors and his voice on film is profound, clear, and fabulous ... for being a hard of hearing of which I'm he is quite easy for me to read lips on screen and I love watching any movie and/or television programs when he is in it.

He is a class act. I admire his acting abilities ...
Attachments
Victor Jory as Garcia talking to Carmen ... Rita Hayworth
Victor Jory as Garcia talking to Carmen ... Rita Hayworth
Jory Carmen.jpg (89.13 KiB) Viewed 7290 times
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I liked him very much as Randolph Scott's (laaaaa) shady friend in Fighting Man of the Plains. He's also in the wonderfully cynical Death of a Scoundrel with George Sanders... put those two voices up against each other in a movie and I'm in heaven!

Moira, I also agree about his very touching role in The Miracle Worker, he could have been a one note character but was multi dimensional.
Jacqueline T. Lynch

Post by Jacqueline T. Lynch »

Thanks for the mention and link to my blog post on Victor Jory, Moira. The character actors blogathon was a lot of fun. So pleased to discover many fans of Victor Jory here.
Another Old Movie Blog -- [url]http://anotheroldmovieblog.blogspot.com[/url]
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Oh yes, what a beautiful voice.
Such a pity Victor got typecast as the heavy in so many films. That's why it's such a pleasure to see him in something like FIGHTING MAN of THE PLAINS in a sympathetic role as the saloon owner trying to help Randolph Scott.
I had no idea he did so much TV