Robert Regan

Re: FRANK BORZAGE

Post by Robert Regan »

You're most welcome, Kingrat.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I guess it's time for me to discover another Borzage film:

[youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube][youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube][youtube][/youtube]

GLENDA FARRELL appears in this film as well. She's even got her own thread now ----------> GLENDA FARRELL
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Theresa, Man's Castle is wonderful! Loretta never looked more beautiful. And if Spence dallies with Glenda...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I admit Man's Castle is my favorite of all the versions of the "Lilliom" scenario.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Interesting, Goddess, that you cite Lilliom along with Man's Castle. Oddly, I had never made that connection before. I have never liked Molnar's play or any of its adaptations, even the visually beautiful Borzage version. I can accept a great deal of tolerance in the name of love, but in no way does a slap feel like a kiss! On the other hand, Man's Castle has long been one of my many favorite Borzages. Now that I see the similarity between Bill and Trina and Lililom and Julie, I have got to see it again. Why is it that I am not as offended by MC, even though Bill's words and deeds are sometimes far from admirable? Do you have any thoughts on this issue?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Excellent question, Robert, because like you, I have not cared for any of the other versions of this tale, though I admired Boyer's accomplished turn. I might have warmed to Carousel had Sinatra not pulled out, so as you can see, casting the central character is what impacts me the most.

My bias for Man's Castle must have a lot to do with how Tracy delivers and the overall light touch of the film. I feel when Tracy's acting so full of himself and cocky, it comes off as somewhat hollow bravado, a show he puts on of toughness and this makes it seem lighter. It's what he's learned to do to get along in his world. He does and says awful things but I am inclined to laugh more than be upset. Boyer makes me pity his character, and is more complex, but he is heavier (after all, he's French!) Tracy's character doesn't seem as deeply bitter and his womanizing is more playful than snakey. There is optimism in him (except when it comes to commitment) and he buoys Loretta Young's fragile and flagging character. Conversely, in the other versions the women seem to be the ones trying to mitigate the unrelentingly pessimism of their partners.
-- Will Rogers
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Goddess, I think you hit the nail right on the head! Trina does indeed grow from her relationship with Bill. This is one of the things I love most about Borzage's sensibility as an artist. In his films, love is not the end, but the beginning. His couples help and teach each other. They grow and change together. The most vivid and moving example of this is probably Lucky Star where Charlie and Janet swap the role of student. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I still want to see Man's Castle again soon.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lucky Star is one of my favorites.
-- Will Rogers
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Frank, Janet, and Charlie all at their best!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

In his films, love is not the end, but the beginning.
what a lovely thought, and it really captures FB,doesn't it? wow.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Thanks, knit. I think it does. I've been thinking about Borzage a lot for some years now, but that thought never occurred to me. Sometimes talking with another person is stimulating and inspiring. I remember one time about a year ago, our dear Maven and I were talking about Shadow of a Doubt, and after I said something about the close tie between young Charlie and her mother, she said, "You know, Bob, I've seen this movie at least a half dozen times over the years, and that never occurred to me." To which I responded, "Me, neither, Theresa! It came to me just now while we were talking!" There's a time for solitary reflection and a time for swapping views.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

sure glad you're around to swap views with the rest of us! In case I missed saying so before....Welcome!!!!!

Nancy
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Thank you, Nancy. I am really glad to be here and grateful to Theresa for bringing me into the fold!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hadn't fully appreciated the parellel's between Man's Castle and Liliom, both excellent movies, I love Lang's work and Boyer manages to illicit some sympathy as Liliom whilst behaving awfully to Julie, I don't care for Carousel despite a couple of soaring melodies. Loretta Young was never better and pre code chemistry had one of it's peaks here, her and Spence are magic together. Yes, I love Man's Castle, I've watched it many times and it never dims.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin