THE GOLDEN GLOBES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Re: THE GOLDEN GLOBES

Post by knitwit45 »

Monique portrayed the horrifically abusive mother in Precious. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch this film, but the reviews all rave about both her, and the girl who was chosen to play the daughter.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Doesn't sound like Monique is anyone I'll be runnunig out to see soon....

But, I do know who the Jonas Brothers are and they are really quite talented and nice kids - something positive in entertainment for a change.
Another person I came around to admiring is Donnie Wahlberg from "New Kids on the Block"..
At first I thought he was a nothing twirp & a boozer and druggie, but then I saw him in "Sixth Sense" and TV's "Boomtown" and he is an exellent actor; and also a family man. Bravo Donnie...
His brother, Mark, has also proved to have straightened up and is an actor too, but I haven't really sought him out to say how good he is...

The name of the woman who was in "Dreamgirls" is Jennifer Hudson and she can sing but needs to tone it down a few octives...
Barbra, Mariah, Celine and Donna Summer need to also just sing and not scream... I like them all but, ladies, please my ears, my nerves!!

Larry
Erika1712

Post by Erika1712 »

I just remembered that I have seen Monique in a very small role a few years ago. The film starred Helen Mirren and Cuba Gooding, Jr. I'd need to look the film up for the title, but I will say it was a bit of an odd film. She was good in it though. I've heard such praise for Precious, but I'm unsure whether I can stomach the subject matter so that I'd enjoy a wonderful performance.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

(I have such a venomous dislike for the filmmakers of DREAMGIRLS. I can't understand why they love a story of Motown, but reject the music and betray it with Broadway music numbers instead.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

During its initial Broadway run, the horrendously raucous radio and TV ads for "Dreamgirls," featuring the girls "singing" a song from the show, inspired New Yorkers to re-dub the show "Screamgirls." I'll always think of it that way.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Reading the last four or five comments makes me so happy, I can't fully explain it. Many of my friends and family have told me I'm too critical because all the names mentioned were great singers. My contention was always that "she who screams loudest, is not the best". You may laugh but listen to a copy of Patsy Cline singing 'Sweet Dreams'. Hear how she reaches those high notes and holds them without breaking the sound barrier or your ear drums. THAT is a velvet voice. Nobody has ever sounded like her, and I doubt that anyone ever will, but she could go from one octave to the next with barely a breath taken. If you have to scream to gain audience attention, then you are not singing but yelling "Look at me!!!"

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Ooh, Mrsl, another Patsy Cline fan!! Now there was a voice!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Anne,
Sorry I blabbed on about Monique without telling what I knew about her. She's been around 10 years or so. She was on Moesha, with Brandi (a tv series) and has done a lot of single episodes of series. She has a string of films including Phat Girlz, if that tells you anything. She pops up as a comedic commentator on a lot of shows.

Judith - How did I know you'd be the one to like Stephanie Plum? I'll move to 'what are you reading' so as not to hijack.
Birdy
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Donna (RudyFan):

I've worn out three audio tapes of Patsy's biggest hits. I'm now trying to find a CD that I can afford. I refuse to pay $14.99, just as I refuse to pay $17.99 for Jimmie Stewarts It's a Wonderful Life like they're asking. C&W is not that popular and I've found Alan Jackson and George Strait for $5.00, because department managers don't know who they are, but because Patsy was so well known her CD's are still priced out of sight.

Like I said though, her's was a velvet voice.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************