Vivien Leigh

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Rita Hayworth

Re: Vivien Leigh

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:kingme, you can see Vivien in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone and Streetcar Named Desire at the end of April on TCM. And I am sure you will love Waterloo Bridge, which is playing May 5th. It's good to know you are a fan.

Jack, I have seen both Streetcar Named Desire and Waterloo Bridge since you mentioned that time and I forgot to tell you that I do like these pictures and Vivian was great in these two pictures. I have not seen Mrs.Stone yet - and that's on the hit list.

Sorry that its took so long to mention this.

I have seen these two movies and I will write up a review - regarding these two movies when I come back from Vacation - I completely forgot about it. My mind been spinning of lately ... stay tuned everyone! :)
Last edited by Rita Hayworth on September 30th, 2013, 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Glad to hear you liked them both, Erik. Brilliant acting on Vivien's part.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Glad to hear you liked them both, Erik. Brilliant acting on Vivien's part.
It was Jack and rightly so ... I've have a friend who is a Vivien Leigh Fan in Vancouver B.C. and he has the film on DVD and I will be watching it in about 3 weeks from now and I will use this thread - to share what I seen so far.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

THE VIVIEN LEIGH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION - Blu & DVD November 19th.
Vivien's finest British films, restored and remastered: Dark Journey, Fire Over England, Storm in a Teacup, Sidewalks of London. These films have been out of print since 2003 so this is my chance to get them looking their best and in one set!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! I'd love to see any of these movies in a decent print... that's exciting!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm very excited...I have held off buying them piecemeal, with chancy prints and high prices. Though this set is expensive, I am going to set aside my shekels to get it. I haven't bought many DVDs this year, and now I'll be buying two sets (the other being the Columbia Ford collection from TCM).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:kingme, you can see Vivien in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone and Streetcar Named Desire at the end of April on TCM. And I am sure you will love Waterloo Bridge, which is playing May 5th. It's good to know you are a fan.
I will write up a review when I come back from Vacation .. I loved these films and I'm so sorry that its been so long - I will be home on the 2nd Weekend of October and this will be the first thing I do when I come back. I will write them up on two separate posts.

Thanks JF and appreciate your patience!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This set was announced early in September (see my post September 5) -- but now they've released the artwork. Thanks to Rita Hayworth for posting the art! More details can be found at http://www.classicflix.com/vivien-leigh ... 14317.html
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Kendra Bean, the sparkling soul behind VivandLarry.com has her soon-to-be-released book, Vivien Leigh: An Intimate Portrait featured this month as the TCM October Book of the Month. Please click on the image below to see more about this on TCM:

You can also enter to win a signed copy of the book here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

pvitari wrote:This set was announced early in September (see my post September 5) -- but now they've released the artwork. Thanks to Rita Hayworth for posting the art! More details can be found at http://www.classicflix.com/vivien-leigh ... 14317.html

I think you got someone (I don't remember any of this) confused ... and I'm very confused by this post ... Care to explain further please?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Trailer for the Cohen Media Vivien Leigh Collection:

[youtube][/youtube]

Trailers for the individual films:

Fire Over England
[youtube][/youtube]

Dark Journey
[youtube][/youtube]

Storm in a Teacup
[youtube][/youtube]

I can't find one for St. Martin's Lane so if anyone does, please post the link!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rita Hayworth wrote:
I will write up a review when I come back from Vacation .. I loved these films and I'm so sorry that its been so long - I will be home on the 2nd Weekend of October and this will be the first thing I do when I come back. I will write them up on two separate posts.

Thanks JF and appreciate your patience!

Films involved in this discussion are:

1) The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone
2) Streetcar Named Desire
3) Waterloo Bridge

Of the three films here ... I love Streetcar Named Desire the best and then Mrs Stone the 2nd; and Waterloo Bridge the 3rd. I did not care for Waterloo Bridge because of the subject matter of the film of where a young ballerina became a prostitute and although it was one of Vivian's best work as an actress. Mrs. Stone is a surprisingly good film back in 1961 of where she teams up with Warren Beatty to give the film credibility and romance that was fantastic to boot. It is one Warren Beatty's better roles in his younger days as an actor. I liked his performance as Paolo di Leo and I was surprised by it.

On to Streetcar Named Desire - The Powerhouse Combo of Leigh and Brando is tough to beat in this enduring drama back in 1951 and I was intrigued by chemistry that they bring. This is one of the better Leigh's films and I enjoyed the chemistry of these two superstars and I was also surprised by the performance of Karl Malden who played Mitch.

Vivian Leigh is consummate professional and she always brings out the best of her performance and gives all she got into her roles and don't get me wrong - when I think of Vivian Leigh she's dedicated to her craft and commands respect.

Unfortunately, I never really watch much of her in my lifetime and I believe me - I was never, ever really a fan of Gone With The Wind of where she co-starred with Clark Gable. The problem with Gone With The Wind - is that the movie was too long and tedious and the romance angle was too dramatic for me to enjoy. That's why I prefer her in the three movies that I shared here more than GWTW.

Anyway, she is a terrific actress and I loved her work ...
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

If anyone's looking to order Cohen Media's The Vivien Leigh Collection (release date November 19), the place to go is DVDplanet.com. They've got it for a ridiculously low price. $22.53 for the DVD set (55 percent discount), $23.65 for the Blu-ray (61 percent discount). Amazon's prices are double that! DVDplanet will add a minor shipping charge, but it's very small, under $2.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Amazon's prices on everything have been really bad lately.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith