Ernst Lubitsch

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ChiO

Re: Ernst Lubitsch

Post by ChiO »

As Fate would have it, I just read today a summarized account of the same story in "You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet": The American Talking Film, History and Memory, 1927-1949 (1998) by Andrew Sarris. His source: George Cukor: A Double Life by Patrick McGilligan.

So there you go.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

I got hold of a copy of OHWY some years ago and then I bought Eclipse-Criterion's Lubitsch set and saw it again, and I love this film...Liked it even more than the 1924 The Marriage Circle...I also read Cukor's Bio by McGilligan. A very interesting read!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

ChiO wrote:As Fate would have it, I just read today a summarized account of the same story in "You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet": The American Talking Film, History and Memory, 1927-1949 (1998) by Andrew Sarris. His source: George Cukor: A Double Life by Patrick McGilligan.

So there you go.
What a coincidence. The Cukor book is quite good, I'm getting into it just not had the time to devote to it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ERNST"

CAROLE LOMBARD, JACK BENNY with CHARLES HALTON

No full-throated review here. Just bumping up a thread on one of the greats. A brilliant piece of filmmaking. I'm only half-watching "TO BE OR NOT TO BE" while working on my computer, but the incisive lines, comic timing, fantastic acting ( Maude EburnE, Jack Benny and the late great Lombard ) are coming through the ether loud and clear. The satire is devastating...and so is the loss of Lombard. I sometimes wonder if Gable was ever able to watch this movie. TIME has finally caught up with this film. This is truly one of Lubitsch's masterpieces and he had just the right players to pull this off.

That beard pulling scene is hilarious.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love watching Benny put one over again and again on Sig Rumann and other members of the third Reich!

But my heart belongs to Felix Bressart.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh,me,too! Any time darling Felix is in a movie it just has to be good.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yay! Something else we agree on!
Konway

Post by Konway »

Laird Cregar was a great actor. Aside from his performance in Heaven Can Wait, He was great in I wake up screaming, the lodger, and Hangover Square. I believe his performance dominates the entire film "I wake up screaming." I believe this is also the same case with Kathleen Byron in Black Narcissus.

I highly recommend A Royal Scandal (1945). I was laughing throughout the entire film. It was absolutely hilarious. I also like the nice touch expressed throughout the film.