Raoul Walsh

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: Raoul Walsh

Post by CineMaven »

I must have drank too much homemade egg nog because your expounding on my riff on Greek Tragedy makes me sound like a genius Jaxxxon. ;-)

You’re right, there’s often the “rise and fall” element in the gangsta journey and “White Heat” is no different. They all have trusted lieutenants, no? I’m thinking of Eddie G. with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. in “Little Caesar.” But Fairbanks wanted nothing to do with being that close to "the power." He'd rather dance with Glenda Farrell. Whoa, Icarus??? You ARE pulling out the big guns. Cody’s hubris is getting him into big trouble. It’s a train wreck. He even brings in a Trojan horse to help with our Grecian metaphor. His men follow him blindly. They obviously think Cody is smarter than they, and he is. He just doesn’t use his smarts for good. I’m loving Steve Cochran making some type of bid for power. He obviously got Virginia Mayo to bump off Ma: ( “I did it for you.” ) There are definitely cracks in the wall around Cody.
It's fated that Cody will go down, but the how and why of it is what we want to see.
Maybe that’s why watching the news doesn’t bother me when I see certain politicos go down boneheaded paths. The thrust of the story is watching what NOT to do. I see it in movies all the time. Those blinding headaches of Cody’s is also a metaphor for how blind Cody is. He can’t see one of his henchmen making moves, he can’t see that Fallon is disingenuous. There are none so blind...

I’ve got to see “Roaring Twenties” again. You and I talked a little about it re: Cagney and Priscilla Lane. I’ve got to see that play out again and how Cagney, not wanting to face a reality ( “She’s just not that into you...” ) goes down a wrong path. D’ya think Boetticher explores Greek tragedy issues too in his westerns. I’m thinking of “The Westerner” ??? Is that with Gary Cooper and Lee J. Cobb ( not a Boetticher film, I know. Westerns are jumbled in my brain. )

Dionysian vs. Apollonian. You’re on fyahhhhh! Your essay is a fantastic read. And you’ve given me even more food for thought! Who says you can’t learn nuthin’ from movies....
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

When I was watching last night, I hurrayed inwardly to myself at the mention of the Trojan Horse story...see? I was right!! Then I inwardly groaned when realized I better brush up on my Greek Tragedy, because The Trojan Horse is a Roman story by Virgil. :oops: :oops:

I don't know about you, but I LOVED yesterday's lineup - forgot how much I enjoy gangster movies. Cagney looking young and racehorse ready for stardom in Doorway to Hell, Bogie in a rather sexy starmaking turn himself (still as a bad guy) in King of the Underworld...did you see that kiss he planted on Joanie Blondell in Bullets or Ballots? Holy cow, I thought I'd faint! These two virile guys and Eddie G. really made the thirties what it was - the original Fast and Furious. There's so much heat in those thirties films, so much anger, so much speed. It's got me primed for Mob City tonight that's for sure, though I honestly can't make up my mind whether to watch it or Flying Down to Rio.... what a decision!
You’re right, there’s often the “rise and fall” element in the gangsta journey and “White Heat” is no different. They all have trusted lieutenants, no? I’m thinking of Eddie G. with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. in “Little Caesar.” But Fairbanks wanted nothing to do with being that close to "the power." He'd rather dance with Glenda Farrell.
I like how all these guys - Rico, Eddie in Roaring Twenties, and Cody - they all have their Achilles Heel.... basically love...whether it be friendship or romantic love. Just like in the myths, just like in Arthurian legend, these guys are taken down by something so simple. It also redeems them somewhat. Tom Powers decides to come home, try to start over... well, he comes home. In a body bag. Gotta give those screenwriters credit, they knew that the only thing that could stop these balls of fire, these hoodlums with explosive temperaments, was the lowliest thing on the planet, and yet the most exalted of emotions.

Watching White Heat again last night, I was impressed not with the scenes of mayhem and violence, but the scene between Cody and Fallon, in the bushes after Fallon has wrestled with the gunsel in order to go into town. Cagney is just a marvel here in this private moment. "Maybe I am nuts" is about the most pathetic, inward and emotionally true moment for Cody. It's so tender a scene, and yet frightening too, because even Cody doesn't understand his own rage.
Whoa, Icarus??? You ARE pulling out the big guns. Cody’s hubris is getting him into big trouble. It’s a train wreck. He even brings in a Trojan horse to help with our Grecian metaphor. His men follow him blindly. They obviously think Cody is smarter than they, and he is. He just doesn’t use his smarts for good. I’m loving Steve Cochran making some type of bid for power. He obviously got Virginia Mayo to bump off Ma: ( “I did it for you.” ) There are definitely cracks in the wall around Cody.
Cody is crazy like a fox. That's why they follow. Those guys, the hoods, well they are all dumb as stumps, but they can sense when someone is a born leader. I like Steve Cochran, a dumb guy, thinking he's a big man, when we know he's really even more full of hubris than Cody. Cochran is just not...smart. He hasn't got the brains of a rock. And besides, you can't win against a hate machine. Machiavelli taught us that, if you are going for power, you've got to cut yourself off from friendship. Unfortunately Cody also has that little kernel of love to bring him down.

Maybe that’s why watching the news doesn’t bother me when I see certain politicos go down boneheaded paths. The thrust of the story is watching what NOT to do. I see it in movies all the time. Those blinding headaches of Cody’s is also a metaphor for how blind Cody is. He can’t see one of his henchmen making moves, he can’t see that Fallon is disingenuous. There are none so blind...
Blinded by love, by emotion. It's the through line of gangster cinema.

I’ve got to see “Roaring Twenties” again. You and I talked a little about it re: Cagney and Priscilla Lane. I’ve got to see that play out again and how Cagney, not wanting to face a reality ( “She’s just not that into you...” ) goes down a wrong path. D’ya think Boetticher explores Greek tragedy issues too in his westerns. I’m thinking of “The Westerner” ??? Is that with Gary Cooper and Lee J. Cobb ( not a Boetticher film, I know. Westerns are jumbled in my brain. )

I have to rewatch The Roaring Twenties, which has been a huge favorite of mine over the years. My first really big cry in the movies if I remember correctly. Walsh plays Cagney and Gladys George like violins... so full of pathos, so emotional. Just like J. Geils says, "He loves her, and she loves him..."

As for The Westerner, that's Cooper and Walter Brennan, and this is another favorite of mine from way back. Obviously this is a story I never get tired of. :D Plus it doesn't hurt to have a cameraman like Gregg Toland to film that dusty wooden framed bar and the landscape around it. What better place to have your best and only friend betray you? Stick the knife in your back while giving you the only thing you ever wanted?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Virgil, Schmirgel...I'll get out of the Trojan Horse and talk movies. JaxxxXxxxon, you are RIGHT:

Loving Priscilla Lane did bring Cagney's Eddie down in "The Roaring 20's" and I hadn't remembered that. I watched the movie last night on my iPHONE from TCM's new streaming app, underneath my covers. And I agree with you that what brings down these gangsters is what redeems them. ( I don't know the J Geils Band well, but I do know Gene Pitney sings: "Only love can break a heart, only love can mend it again." ) It was shocking to see how far Eddie falls...not just because of the stock market crash, but becuz of the torch he carried. He wouldn't face facts. He wouldn't see the signs. It was seeing her again, happy with ( my boy-next-door-cutie-pie: Jeffrey Lynn ) that put him on a bender. I love the shorthand Raoul Walsh uses when he shows Cagney watching Lane perform, squeezing Gladys George's hand while mooning over Lane. Dang, if movies don't make it clear to you WHO you should be with, then Sista, I don't know...

And I got it all bollocked up when I wrote:
D’ya think Boetticher explores Greek tragedy issues too in his westerns. I’m thinking of “The Westerner” ??? Is that with Gary Cooper and Lee J. Cobb ( not a Boetticher film, I know. Westerns are jumbled in my brain. )

I had to relent and go to IMDB to find out what the heck I was talking about. It's ANTHONY MANN who directs Cooper and Lee J. Cobb in “MAN OF THE WEST” and I thought it dealt with some mixed Oedipal loyalties there too. Sheesh...you’d think I’d learn my Westerns by now!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, Actually, Tee, you DID make a good comparison with The Westerner, even if it was by accident. Gary Cooper is Cole Hardin, the younger version of Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean - the man he will eventually topple from the seat of power. it's the same story basically as Man of the West, thought Man of the West is light years deeper.

God, I love that scene with Jimmy Cagney and Gladys George, what a great torch carrier Walsh can be, through his actors. He was a real romantic in the best sense of the word. Except with Ida Lupino. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:
God, I love that scene with Jimmy Cagney and Gladys George, what a great torch carrier Walsh can be, through his actors. He was a real romantic in the best sense of the word. Except with Ida Lupino.
:D
Hey you're right again. Come to think of it...you gave me food for thought. Folks:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You mean abject heartache? yeah, I think she could.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Yes.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I almost picked up MAN OF THE WEST for another look. Decided to go with TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE instead! The Mann film is not a big favorite with me. It's fine. It just doesn't excite me. I'll watch it again someday!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's very dark. I think it's a very good story, a man who's gone straight being confronted by his past in a very physical way, where there's no way out except to face himself.