ANN HARDING

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

ANN HARDING

Post by feaito »

Since there is not a thread dedicated to this great actress and star, I am going to start one so that the members who like her work and admire her talents may discuss her films and career, including of course her smart namesake at SSO :wink:

Since I participated last year in Scott O'Brien's thread in which his Biography on her was discussed, I had wanted to translate to English an Interview in Spanish by Joaquín de la Horia, which was included in the September 1933 issue of "Cinelandia", a vintage magazine that was published monthly in Hollywood, by the Spanish- American Publishing Co.

The interview is rather naïve and full of awe for the actress, but I think it's an interesting piece of history. Forgive my flaws because I'm no transalator, but I did my best:

Cinelandia September 1933 Published in Hollywood in Spanish

Ann Harding

By Joaquín de la Horia

I had been waiting for Ann Harding for some minutes, in her dressing room at RKO Studios, which because of its size had all the aspect of a small house. Standing with my back towards the entrance I was admiring some engravings hanging on the wall, when behind me a joyous and affectionate voice greeted me in Spanish:

- “Good Day! Enchanted to see you!”

I turned rapidly. Ann Harding was before me. She came from the Set, wearing a flesh colored make-up, almost brick-colored, which enhanced the blue of her eyes. I had two surprises: listening to the famous star speaking in our language and to realize that Ann Harding is much more beautiful in person than which is generally perceived of her.

One thing is undeniable about the famous actress: her talent. She possesses an ability to relate socially which is not common among the people from the cinema scene; always circumspect, especially in the presence of journalists; she has the demeanor of a woman who’s fond of sports, of a modern Amazon who, however, has not lost her femininity; and an extraordinary cerebral quickness to answer, to be ahead of the questions that one’s going to make her, to be aware of what one is thinking.

“There is no doubt that I was well made up this morning” she added smiling maliciously, as an answer to the admiring expression with which I must have looked at her. But since she spoke again in Spanish, this time I could not have any doubt that she was speaking herself, I had to demonstrate her my surprise.

“-I learnt Spanish when I was a small girl –she continued- in Cuba, where my father, Brigadier General George G. Gatley, had to go in mission sent by the US Army. I lived there for two years.”

“-And in two years you learnt it?”

“- I was very intelligent …then”, she added laughing. And then she explained:

“- Since I was born in San Antonio, Texas, the Spanish language wasn’t unknown to me. I heard it around me since I was born, in my neighborhood, among the Mexican servants, among my school classmates. The language had something for me like music in my ears. Then I left for Cuba. I was six years old and my father, who did not have time to take care of me, naturally left my in a Nuns’ Convent. An unforgettable place! I left the Convent when I was eight years old, turned into a Cuban girl. I went back to the US and I’ve never been able, nor have I wanted either, to forget that language which I admire so much.

I’m in the presence of a different Ann Harding. I’ve had the opportunity of meeting many screen stars in Hollywood who speak in Spanish, well or badly, with an accent which always sounds laughable. But in all of them I have recognized the foreigner who continues thinking in his/her native tongue and who speaks the other language out of a mental effort. But Ann Harding “feels” our language to speak it. She pronounces it quickly, with a very slight accent which must be consequence of the years that have passed without practicing it. She composes her phrases perfectly and more than a North American speaking in Spanish, she seems to me a Cuban who has lived many years in the US.

“-Mi vocabulary is very limited –she says to me like if excusing herself- and that’s why I’m afraid to speak in Spanish. I wouldn’t want to forget it so I practice it alone, with myself, or reading newspapers and magazines from your countries.”

I feel proud of having made this “discovery”. Nobody in Hollywood had ever mentioned that Ann Harding spoke Spanish. And naturally a suggestion comes to my head:

“Why don’t you make a film in Spanish?”

Her eyes twinkle. It seems that I have nailed it. She gets passionate like a Latin-American. She speaks now with more warmth and I get convinced that I made an accurate observation.

“-I wish it with all my soul! But we the actresses aren’t the ones who can make such decisions. How interesting it would be to do it.”

And I imagine –because it’s easy to imagine it looking at and listening to her- the magnificent performances that this star could give in our own language. Her emotion, which surpasses the average of the North American actresses, gets more intense in our language and becomes warmer. Her voice, famous on the North American stage and cinema, gives more strength to the Spanish phrase. We mustn’t forget that even in Hollywood, artistically and technically, it has been acknowledged that Spanish is the language which comes off better on screen by the microphone.

“- Would the Hispanic audiences like me to speak in Spanish?”

I assure her in advance that they would, naturally, supposing something that for me is undoubtedly. In all our countries Ann Harding’s films, spoken in English, have been resounding successes. They would be even more successful if she spoke in Spanish, with the truth and sincerity with which Ann speaks it.

She gets enthusiast

“- Something has to be done to achieve it! -She tells me – Why don’t you suggest it?- I’d be delighted… Say that the audiences from your countries know that I speak in Spanish and that they want me to film a movie in Spanish.”

We talk about her latest production “When Ladies Meet” filmed at the Metro-Goldwyn Mayer Studios, in which the star, even at the risk of sacrificing her artistic worth, accepted to portray a character that isn’t strictly the star of the picture. And however, just when Ann Harding appears on screen, the film belongs to her. Surrounded by good actors and with the competition of Alice Brady, who creates a charming character of a worldly woman, as clumsy as she is generous, Ann Harding’s personality shines above all the others. One moment alone of the film is worth the whole movie: when she discusses the wife’s rights over those of the lover, for the love of a man, unbeknownst to her that she is the wife and the woman she has in front of her is the lover. It’s one of those instants of brilliant work, which are enough to give Ann Harding a definitive position. And how better if she could repeat scenes as such in Spanish!

“-Now I understand –I tell her- your frequent travels to Cuba.”

“-Certainly. It’s a blessed land. I’d go each time I could, but unfortunately I’m not able to do it constantly. But it is the best gift I can give myself. I pass there hours of remembrances.”

We look at each other and we think the same thing: her last trip, the talked adventure of the small fishing boat which sank and the fisherman’s death.

“-It was a horrible thing –she says speaking as if to herself- that I will never forget. It’s strange, but here in Hollywood when filming movies, more than once I’ve been immersed in dramatic or dangerous moments, simulated, of course, but of extraordinary naturalness; however, I had never been able to feel even a moment of angst as the many such moments I had during that afternoon. I don’t know if everyone will believe it, but it wasn’t our danger which made suffer the most, but the tragedy of that poor man who sacrificed himself for the sake of us.”

The star and his companion, Alexander Kirkland, before returning gave a sum of money to the fisherman’s widow. I comment the fact. She shrugs, smiling forcedly, as if apologizing for having tried to repair such a disgrace by material means. We change the subject because I know that she feels sad remembering that event.

“-And to think that it happened to me in Cuba – she adds- the land I love the most!”

She puts such dramatic force in the phrase that I dare to say: “-You seem to me a new actress, in Spanish.”

She remains thinking, smiling.

“-There’s an idea! –She says enthusiastic- The new Ann Harding who speaks in Spanish…!”- and she laughs about her childish and sincere enthusiasm.

While biding me farewell she reminds me that I’ve promised to tell about what I’ve just learnt, to create an opinion, to arise interest among our people in order to make possible some day, sooner or later, to listen to Ann Harding in a film speaking our language. That day the North American and Hispanic Cinema will have discovered a new figure.
intothenitrate

Re: ANN HARDING

Post by intothenitrate »

That was pretty darn charming.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Wonderful! Thanks a lot Fernando for putting so much effort into this translation. :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you Christine and intothenitrate for your kind words, it was my entire pleasure. I think it was time that our beloved Ann had a thread of her own :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you, Fernando. I sent a link to this interview to Ann's biographer, Scott O'Brien. I am sure he would appreciate seeing your translation. I love that Ann comes across as much more fun-loving than usual. Joaquín de la Horia must have been quite charming to put her at such ease.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you Moira. I hope Scott will enjoy it. I agree concerning Joaquín de la Horia, he must have been a charming person; and Ann comes across so down-to-earth and attainable in this interview, just as I perceive her from Scott O'Brien's account.
oscotto

Post by oscotto »

Fernando ... you have done a splendid job of translating this wonderful interview. Thanks so much! "Amazon Ann!" She certainly had an earthiness about her. I loved reading about her passion for and ability to speak the Spanish language. It is too bad that the powers that be kept her from fulfilling her wish to do a Spanish-speaking film. I recently introduced her film Double Harness at the Library of Congress film archive in Culpeper, VA. What a treasure! And, it is available on DVD. Ann and William Powell have great charm and chemistry. They had both worked with the Jesse Bonstelle touring company in the 20's. When I introduced the film I mentioned that before production Ann had found herself in a rather precarious situation in Cuba. I gave a few details of this tragedy and Ann's ill-fated rendezvous on the island with her lover, screen-writer Gene Fowler. (This tragedy had actually held up production of Double Harness.)

The Cinelandia interview had an uncanny intimacy that reflected the tragedy and scandal behind her 1933 trip to Cuba--the death of the skipper that manned her boat. I also enjoyed the commentary on When Ladies Meet. Ann's ability to "make the film hers" even though its an ensemble piece is a testimony to her talent.

Bravo! I've sent Ann's niece, Dorothy, a copy of your fine translation of an important interview. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Cheers to you Fernando!

Scott O'Brien [img][img]
Attachments
doubleharnessaosis.jpg
doubleharnessaosis.jpg (22.12 KiB) Viewed 5526 times
Last edited by oscotto on April 30th, 2011, 11:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wow Scott, thank you so much for your kind words. I feel so honored, truly. I am glad that you, Christine, Moira and intothenitrate have enjoyed this interview and I truly had a great time translating it....it kind of flowed, especially because I'm very fond of Ann Harding. I am also honored that you found it worthy enough to be sent to Ann's niece :oops:

I have a copy of "Double Harness". It's indeed a very good film and thank heavens for its recovery and rediscovery; she made a great team with Bill Powell: two class acts together. Well, Bill Powell was such a great actor, he was superb also with Kay Francis, Myrna Loy, Luise Rainer, Irene Dunne and many other ladies.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I loved that article, Ferchu! I could hear Ann's voice even in translation, the way the author described her seems so exactly how she appears to me - a charming woman, skillful at putting people at their ease when she was comfortable.

I recently watched Biography of a Bachelor Girl, and imagined that this was very close to Harding's own personality. It may not be true, but she was so skilled at conveying lightness and warmth with people. She had an open, free-spirited nature in the movie, unknowingly rebellious, tactful, and her character had an ability to twist anyone around to her point without being harsh or too logical. I felt it must be her true personality ad I fell for it, hook line and sinker. The movie was not all it might have been, but I thought Ann was exceptional...it's now my favorite of hers. I look forward to seeing it again.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Wendy, I'm glad you did. I haven't seen that film, but I'm sure that in spite of the Code's restrictions, Ann's skill and talent make this film absolutely worthwhile.
oscotto

Post by oscotto »

Fernando,
I thought you would enjoy reading what Ann's niece Dorothy and her daughter Fay (Ann's grandniece) had to say about the interview you translated. I had also sent them a couple of photos from Double Harness. Ann's sister Edith apparently had the same affinity for Spanish as Ann! The message read:

"Thank you so much for the wonderful interview and photos, and what fun it must have been to introduce the movie! Dorothy was so thrilled to read your email, the interview, and hear about all the "do'ins". She sends her love to you and Joel.

Edie spoke fluent Spanish. My paternal grandfather was a doctor who'd moved his practice to the "wild west" before New Mexico was a state, and also spoke fluent Spanish. When Edie would come out for a visit, she and my grandfather practically spoke Spanish exclusively, as they both loved the language so much. She frequently mentioned how much she loved the language, calling it musical as well.

Extremest Best from all of us,
Fay"

Thanks again Fernando! Un idioma nunca es suficiente. Viva el cine clasico!

Scott
feaito

Post by feaito »

Scott, Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in sharing what Ann's niece and grandniece said about the interview, I am very happy.

And you speak fluently in Spanish as well...¡Excelente!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm late to this thread but nevertheless enthralled. Thank you for taking the time to translate for us. I've only seen Ann Harding in a couple of movies, not enough to see what most of you grsp. I have a couple more films here to watch, maybe after seeing them I'll appreciate her fully.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ali, thanks for your words. You should check Ann's performances -IMO- in at least "Peter Ibbetson" (1935), "The Animal Kingdom" (1932), "Double Harness" (1933), "Holiday" (1930), "When Ladies Meet" (1933) and "Love From a Stranger" (1937).
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched Peter Ibbetsen today, I wrote it up on the films thread, I was underwhelmed by it I'm afraid, I think the main problem was that I felt no chemistry between the couple, I wasn't convinced by them. I have seen the Animal Kingdom, I liked her in that one. She's better suited to Leslie Howard in my opinion.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin