New Voice on a Traditional Subject

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

New Voice on a Traditional Subject

Post by klondike »

Cary Grant's daughter releasing memoir

Hollywood icon Cary Grant's daughter has laughed off long-running rumors about her father's sexuality in a new memoir.

The British actor's only child, Jennifer, has put pen to paper to reveal all about life with the "To Catch A Thief" star in "Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant," which also includes rare photos and personal mementos of their time together before his death in 1986 at the age of 82.

In the book, Jennifer, now 45, admits her famous father was always intrigued by the gay rumors and may have even played up the reports on purpose.

She writes, "Can't blame men for wanting him, and wouldn't be surprised if Dad even mildly flirted back. When the question arises, it generally speaks more about the person asking.

"[But] Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong."

Jennifer insists she is a living testament to her dad's legendary charm, adding: "OK, I had a crush on Dad. OK, more than a little crush on Dad. My other real crushes were Donny Osmond and [French actor] Jean-Paul Belmondo."

Grant's daughter also touches on her dad's four-year marriage to her mother, actress Dyan Cannon, in 1965, admitting it was never going to work out in the long term because both stars were so headstrong: "Something in me has always felt that my parents came together to make me."

And Jennifer has also taken the opportunity to address claims the actor was tight with money, writing, "In my experience, Dad was neither cheap nor excessive. Which, for a wealthy man, is remarkable."

"Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant" is due for release this week.
mongoII

Re: New Voice on a Traditional Subject

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, Grant's daughter Jennifer was on the Morning Show today in an interview about her father and the book. A beautiful girl, she spoke fondly of her dad with some nice pictures and film clips of home movies. Good stuff indeed.
Joseph Goodheart
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I will admit that those rumors have always annoyed me.

I loved Betsy Drake's response to the gay rumors in the TCM documentary on Grant.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I missed that one. What did she say?
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

intothenitrate wrote:I missed that one. What did she say?
Oh, it's too good to spoil. Perhaps it's available on YouTube (I can't search from work). If not, check out the special edition DVD of Bringing Up Baby, which includes the documentary as a special feature.

I have to say that when I heard it, I was glad I wasn't taking a drink.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw it when TCM ran it. I wasn't drinking anything either.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Will someone find the right link, I'm intrigued as to what she said :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't find it on youtube.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Let me see how I can be a gentleman about this..... Betsy said that he was certainly fulfilling his duties as a husband. She was rather blunt and was bleeped.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I must have seen it on it's premier showing, because she WASN'T bleeped! I think I was drinking something at the time, because I remember choking...with laughter!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

knitwit45 wrote:I must have seen it on it's premier showing, because she WASN'T bleeped! I think I was drinking something at the time, because I remember choking...with laughter!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
It wasn't bleeped when I saw it, either. That's what was so surprising to me.