CLAUDETTE COLBERT

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: CLAUDETTE COLBERT

Post by movieman1957 »

"Remember The Day" was recently on HBO one morning. Luckily I got it as it has been years since I've seen it. I remember it being kind of sweet and enjoyable. It's the kind they haven't made in years.

"Three Came Home" does have some great acting. The ladies are wonderful.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Claudette is almost always on one of my favorite 5 or 10 favorite actress lists, depending on what kind of list it is (comedy, drama etc.). I don't even have a favorite movie of hers because as I watch, each one becomes my favorite. I was so sorry she quit after Parrish. She was a great mother image and probably would have worked for years if she wanted but maybe she preferred to be remembered as the younger version of herself. Whatever, all her films are memorable to me. Most likely the best of the whole lot is Since You Went Away.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

She's so good in Since You Went Away and her voice had a warmth that adapted so well to playing mother roles.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Remember The Day" was recently on HBO one morning.

Good for HBO! Do they show classics often?
rerun

Post by rerun »

This is a picture of my mother when she was tested at Paramount by Frank Borzage. Unfortunately,
she photographed like a glamorous Claudette and, yep, Claudette black listed her in the industry.
She had that much power at the time.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

She was stunning. I like Colbert and respect her talent and style enormously, but don't think she was a patch on your Mom in the looks dept. based on this image, Martha. Was the photographer anyone we might know like Clarence Bull or George Hurrell? Was your mother really interested in being an actress? Do you think this disappointment affected her much?

FYI: rerun is our upcoming Guest Author, Martha Crawford Cantarini. You can read more about her here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rerun

Post by rerun »

moirafinnie wrote:She was stunning. I like Colbert and respect her talent and style enormously, but don't think she was a patch on your Mom in the looks dept. based on this image, Martha. Was the photographer anyone we might know like Clarence Bull or George Hurrell? Was your mother really interested in being an actress? Do you think this disappointment affected her much?

FYI: rerun is our upcoming Guest Author, Martha Crawford Cantarini. You can read more about her here.
I don't see any marks on the photo. I know it was taken at the studio. Sam Woods was a big director, stage I believe, at the time and he wanted to put her under personal contract to him for
a second lead in a Broadway play called The Night of January 16th which had quite a successful run in New York I believe. My mother turned him down. She was a full time mother and wife to Carl Crawford the polo player.
She had done some little theater with Alan Ladd and Jack Carson but I truly believe it was just a passing fancy. But, her beauty brought every room to a stand still that she walked into, I do remember that. And, when she came to my school for parents day . . . . well, that was something!
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Martha, I am dying to see your mom's picture up there but I can't. I have tried updating everything on my computer but I still can't see the image, it just says IMAGE where the picture ought to be.

Would it be too much to ask that you post it again, just to see if maybe I might be able to get a glimpse of your stunning mom?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I don't see the photo either.

Remember the Day is one of those movies that makes me sniffly all over.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I can see it and she has lovely eyes.
Chris

rerun

Post by rerun »

JackFavell wrote:Martha, I am dying to see your mom's picture up there but I can't. I have tried updating everything on my computer but I still can't see the image, it just says IMAGE where the picture ought to be.

Would it be too much to ask that you post it again, just to see if maybe I might be able to get a glimpse of your stunning mom?
I will see if Moira can help. I have a very sick dog right now and can't do anything.
on him.[/i][/color]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Don't worry about posting it over again. I'm sending good thoughts your direction.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Here is the image rehosted. I hope your dog is ok, rerun.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sorry if it didn't show up again, but thanks, Lomm for re-posting it.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I can see both of them. She's still lovely.
Chris