ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Post by movieman1957 »

Found this item about Holocaust documentary Hitchcock made.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 44945.html
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Found this item about Holocaust documentary Hitchcock made.

While this is missing much of a reel that is being restored, from what I understand from news reports, this is essentially the documentary that Hitchcock made that disturbed him and was largely left in archives to moulder away. It may not be appropriate for children or tender-hearted sensibilities, but is well made and probably important to understanding Hitch and the period:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Found this item about Holocaust documentary Hitchcock made.

While this is missing much of a reel that is being restored, from what I understand from news reports, this is essentially the documentary that Hitchcock made that disturbed him and was largely left in archives to moulder away. It may not be appropriate for children or tender-hearted sensibilities, but is well made and probably important to understanding Hitch and the period:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sorry, I looked at that post last week, but couldn't bring myself to write about it. I stupidly read the comments section below the story and it made me sick to my stomach. I have to say that anything in the movie that was horrifying was matched by those comments. Frightening.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i can't watch stuff like this right now, but wendy you mentioned comments...you mean from people posting on the site? don't tell me. i can imagine. that's why i try never to read comments on news sites, etc. anymore. some real sickos out there.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, that's what I meant, MissG. Horrible, awful things. I think this has finally taught me not to be so OCD about checking the comments section.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I can't tell whether there has been any discussion about it but I watched "Number 17" and it may be one of the strangest films Of Hitchcock's I have seen.

It's a pretty basic story of a group of people hunting down a necklace. Don't ask me how some of the people get involved because if they said it I missed it. (It doesn't help that the sound is awful in some parts.) After congregating at a rundown house and having their own little disagreements things transfer to a train. The excitement builds as this train builds speed while those on it take turns chasing each other back and forth on the outside of the train. This extended sequence does make you think of the big finishes that were to come in his career but there are times where it is pretty exciting and others where the editing seems clumsy and some overused miniature sets (well done but very obvious) detract from the chase.

It's from 1932 and runs about 65 minutes. As a story goes I had to backtrack some and still couldn't quite figure it all out. Based on a play (and a free book for kindles) it was too stark from the good to the clumsy. Interesting camera angles were followed by overly intentioned shots of shadows and slow motion hands and other weird things.

I came to it strictly to see some early Hitch. There are better from around this time. As short as it is you might check it out but if you're looking for a classic you might be disappointed or even a little confused.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Chris, it's been a while since I saw it but I recall similar feelings about it. I wonder if it will be included in the Film Forum's big Hitvh film fest? I have not looked st the schedule in detail but I know they are including early works as well as the recent restored versions of North by Northwest & To Catch a Tjief.

I hope to catch at least one of them. CineMava, will you be attending or is that a silly question?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Konway

Post by Konway »

Speaking of Holocaust documentary by Alfred Hitchcock, I thought I should share this documentary with you all. This is a documentary about Adolf Hitler. I thought it was excellent. I highly recommend it. You can watch it here for free - thegreateststorynevertold.tv

I assure you that you all will love it.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Because the Hitchcock documentary was blocked I went to youtube and was able to watch by typing in Alfred Hitchcock memory of the camps. Initially I wept, then I felt ill and was unable to continue watching.
tinker

Post by tinker »

I just wanted to say that whilst I have always loved this movie, I saw Dial M for Murder today on a big screen and in 3D which is something I have never done before. I rather had my doubts that using 3D on what is essentially a one set movie would really be anything to write home about so to speak. but...... it was FABULOUS.

The whole feeling of being in the room with the actors (combatants!!!!) made the film seem like you were eavesdropping on a very private drama. All of Ray Milland's slimy charm seemed exaggerated, life size. All the sets up and angles of furniture and actors that made the depth of the room and the exchanges seem all the more intimate. That flat stopped being a film set and became a murder site. A bit like hearing a murder in the next room and seeing through a peep hole. Which is of course I realise, is Hitchcock's genius at work.

Also you don't see it mentioned to often in the lists of the most beautiful dresses Grace Kelly wore, but the red dress in the first scene was amazing, especially in 3D. I swear you could almost hear it rustle.

I haven't seen that many old movies in 3D but always thought it was about the tricks like knives plunging at the audience but I cannot believe how much it added to this movie, which has always been a favourite anyway. If you get a chance to see it in 3D, run don't walk to the theatre. It is well worth it.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That does sound fascinating. Sometimes "filmed theatre" is spellbinding.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

1954 Paramount Pictures releases "Rear Window", directed by Alfred Hitchcock 9/1/1954
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith