George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: George Raft

Post by JackFavell »

I could see George picking up dancing moves in the speakeasies or clubs, maybe even incorporating the more rhythmic loose jazz movements of black dancers. Of course I don't know, but his style at least in this dance does look like the clip Maven posted. I could see him becoming popular in the late twenties by flouting conventional dancing styles for a more undulating style. it must have been very provocative for it's time.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's provacative for my time. And they say that the arts progress. For me movies, dance and music are mostly better for me from the years before I was born. The kids complain that I don't listen to modern music, no and I never really did and I'm not going to change now. Not for Taylor Swift or anyone.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

This must be the original

[youtube][/youtube]
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know I've seen that clip before. I think we went on a George binge last year at the other website. :D
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

George was showcased on Broadway as "The World's Fastest Charleston Dancer". That, of course, was the beginning of his claim to fame. Lucky for him, too, as he crapped out as a ballplayer and boxer and couldn't quite make it as a pool hustler (though he and Billy Rose teamed up for a spell to take on "suckers" before Billy became a songwriter). He definitely was a self-learned dancer (as was Cagney); they just had a natural aptitude. The clubs where George danced were packed to capacity virtually every night he performed. No less than Fred Astaire was a huge admirer of George's fancy footwork.

Wonder what's happening with that new Raft book. Was supposed to be out in November, then January - then April, and now . . . who knows.

Actually I was planning to do a "Films of George Raft" book as a followup to my biography. Shoulda jumped on the idea but got caught up in other publishing commitments. Depending what's happening with Acker's book . . . well, one never knows. Used to love the Citadel series. Had 'em all.
charliechaplinfan

I love the Citadel series, they didn't get to George Raft first time around but they did include Fredric March which has remained for years the only affordable book about him. How can we persuade you Stone to do a follow up book to your biography, he'd be in the right hands with you. Have you had any dealings with this author at all?

I just love that clip but for some reason it works better for me to Little Richard, I suppose I know the song better. What is that dance? Is there a name for it? Strictly Come Dancing is a rare TV programme that I watch and I still can't tell a rumba from a salsa.

Billy Rose married Fanny Brice and was played by James Caan in Funny Lady. It's great how all these names inter connect. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to write a fact based novel around all these interconnecting, interesting people? How I'd love a time machine to go back to the New York night clubs and speakeasies of the time.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

charliechaplinfan wrote:...The kids complain that I don't listen to modern music, no and I never really did and I'm not going to change now. Not for Taylor Swift or anyone.
:lol: :lol:
You literally made me laugh out loud with that one. Didn't Taylor just break some little British boy's heart in one of your boy bands over there? I might not be crazy about a lot of today's music...but I definitely want to know the names. There's nothing like music to separate the old from the young. My parents didn't like the Beatles! :shock: ( My mother was not swayed by Paul, the cute one. )

I loved watching George dance in those clips Alison. I'm actually glad he became more of a heavy actor than a dancer. I find there's more of a sexual threat for me when he's dark and angry and tough. ( Watched "They Drive By Night" on TCM yesterday, and it thrills me to hear him tell Ida: "You'd better relax!" Though there is something about him doing the bolero that..........)

...And I've no doubt, Wendy, that George trucked it up to Harlem to go to a speakeasy or the Cotton Club or Savoy or some of the other grand clubs uptown, and hoi-polloi it with some of the musicians and dancers ( oooh la la ) that Harlem had to offer.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Thanks Alison. Came very close to doing that "Films of George Raft" book - actually one in a series I was planning. I think, though, that Citadel Press went the way of the dinosaur. I was lucky enough to touch base with another gal who was a HUGE Raft fan and she had an extensive supply of candids and movie stills that she was going to provide for the project. Alas, other obligations (including that "having to make a paycheck") kept interfering so - yada yada - never happened.

No, was never contacted by the author of this new George Raft book supposedly coming out from McFarland. Had to laugh, though. Recently borrowed from the library that Humphrey Bogart book written by that paragon of journalistic integrity Darwin Porter and noticed in the bibliography that he used my George Raft bio as a reference! Don't know if I should feel honored or insulted.

CineMaven: Re The Cotton Club. If you've seen the Coppola movie you'll notice there are startling similarities between Richard Gere's Dixie Dwyer and George Raft. The exceptions: Raft was a dancer not a trumpet player . . . and what was with that incongruous Errol Flynn mustache? But the Owney Madden connection, Dixie Dwyer being sent to Hollywood where he becomes a hit in early gangster movies - that's all Raft. Shoulda kept more true to the character . . . and Al Pacino should have taken on the role. Pacino is an excellent tango dancer and Raft himself said back in '75 that if a movie of his life were to be filmed following the release of the Yablonski book that he would like to see Pacino play him. How great would have that been . . .
charliechaplinfan

It would have been dream casting. I'm not complaining though, I've always had a soft spot for Mr Gere but he doesn't remind me of George Raft at all, I saw The Cotton Club way before I knew much about Hollywood so I didn't really identify him with anyone. Dixie Dwyer despite following George's path doesn't ring that true as to how I imagine George to have been. If I remember rightly Dixie was a bit morose and was attached to one girl, not how I imagine George to be. I see George as a happy man with lots of friends.

I do know what you mean Theresa, that tough guy cuts the mustard with me just as much as the dancer, I'm torn, I like dancers, I like tough guys and I especially love them if they're dark haired :wink:
charliechaplinfan

Theresa I was in bed last night and I remembered, I hadn't replied to you about the boyband. One Direction and the boy's name is Harry Styles but I thought he dumped her? Libby hates One Direction, she calls them One Dimension instead, her class are very polarised about this group. I do see her point as the little girl next door who is 5 has a One Direction T-shirt and lots of the younger classes are crazy about them. I can't remember a boyband marketing themselves at the very young before.

I love The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan, Elvis, Motown all sorts really, mostly from before I was born. The kids have a point but try as I might I just can't like the majority of their stuff.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Alice loves 1D, she and all her classmates are mad about the boys. She is in love with Louis, who if I were guessing, is the one most likely to be uninterested in girls. It's harmless, and the music isn't bad. We all had our favorite pop stars when I was young, it's a fad that will pass, but it seems so innocent to me, Alice has plastered posters and pictures all over her room.

Not to sound pervy, but if I were Alice's age I'd probably go for Harry, he's a cutie, not too good looking and he has that nice head of hair. They all seem like nice kids. That is, until we start hearing about the foolish things they will do when they try to break free of the boy band image....
charliechaplinfan

Harry a thing about older women too, he dated a 32 year old not long ago. Libby doesn't like to go with the crowd but she will do. There could be far worse bands for kids to be into.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought Alice wouldn't go for them, she never likes to go with the crowd either, but good grief there's five of them here, one for every type of girl. She HATED Justin Bieber and all the other popular boy singers. I think at this point the hormones just took over and it wouldn't have mattered who it was, she was going to get a crush on someone and her friends have all gone crazy for them. It's a girl thing.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Stone,

As I've written on a couple of other threads at SSO I'm currently reading Rudy Behlmer's "Inside Warner Bros. (1935-1951)" , which is comprised of the transcriptions of letters and memos regarding some of the most important WB films that were made during those years, and on pages 144 through 149, there is some interesting correspondence related to the making of "Manpower" (1941) and the trouble between Raft and G. Robinson. Probably you have read it already, but I'm pointing it out just in case. Best, FER
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Thanks Fernando. Yes, I quoted from some of that correspondence in my book. Things got pretty testy between the pair; probably the worst on-set experience for either of them, particularly Robinson.

Got me to thinking what would have happened had George accepted the role of Walter Neff in DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Things would not smooth over between the two until 14 years later during the making of A BULLET FOR JOEY, so the enmity surely still would have existed during filming of the Wilder film only three years after their blowup. And to hear Raft (Neff) frequently comment to Robinson (Keyes): "I love you, too" . . . hmmmm.