Hairstyles we love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Rita Hayworth

Re: Hairstyles we love

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rita Hayworth in Salome
Elaborate Hairstyles in that Movie back in 1953

Part 2 of 2

More Elegance ... I dig the Elaborate Hair Ornamentation all over Rita's Hair here!
Attachments
RitaSalome (3).jpg
RitaSalome (3).jpg (72.23 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
RitaSalome (4).jpg
RitaSalome (4).jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 8247 times
RitaSalome (5).jpg
RitaSalome (5).jpg (28.87 KiB) Viewed 8244 times
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

How lovely, she had the most beautiful hair of all our movie stars in my opinion. Thick, lustrious and so beautiful.

Have you ever though of publishing a book of her images Kingme? I'm sure it would sell well, her beauty is timeless.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CCFan ... What an intriguing thought ... I may have to think about that. You gave me food for thought here.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Erik,

It might be a great idea, if only to show the celebrities and fans of today what a real star is!
And one who was not full of plastic....

Larry
charliechaplinfan

I wholeheartedly agree, I wish fashions would change back to the shape of Rita, Ava etc. Today's sizes are impossible and unhealthy.

An aside, our little puppy that we are getting needs a very beautiful name, Rita would be wonderful but here we have a soap opera called Coronation Street that features another red head called Rita, I couldn't stand the comparison of the soap Rita. It would help if the puppy was a redhead, she isn't but a beautiful gal she certainly was.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rita Hayworth
Unusual Hairstyles ... Early 1940's

I think these photos were done before she did "My Gal Sal" with Victor Mature, John Sutton, and Carole Landis.

Extra Bonus Feature: Her side profile ... I don't have many of these too.
Attachments
Side Profile 1.jpg
Side Profile 1.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
Side Profile 2.jpg
Side Profile 2.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 8154 times
charliechaplinfan

They are beautiful, thanks for posting.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love all the hairstyles mentioned here! And I have to agree about Dana Andrews longish, curly locks, Maven, but then I'm a fan of the wavy hairstyles men had in the forties.

One hairstyle I haven't seen mentioned is the one Garbo initiated in 1930's ROMANCE. You know the one, many stars wore this exceedingly feminine, pretty look, with the ringlets. Some, like Marlene, sported looser versions, depending on the story being filmed. It came into it's own about 1934, and I just love it, it's so flattering (pictured- Garbo, Carole Lombard, Heather Angel and Leslie Howard, Elizabeth Allan, Dolores Del Rio, Irene Dunne, Maureen O'Sullivan, Rochelle Hudson, Marlene Dietrich, Jeannette MacDonald, Olivia de Havilland and Norma Shearer.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Merle Oberon really made this look her own, as far as I'm concerned, she NEVER looked better, and frankly, no one else with ringlets ever did either.

I've tried all day to get these to resize, so I guess I'll just post them and hope that they make nice sometime tomorrow, and that they are placed so as to take up a lot less room. Sorry!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lovely Pictures ... Jack Favell!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote:I love all the hairstyles mentioned here! And I have to agree about Dana Andrews longish, curly locks, Maven, but then I'm a fan of the wavy hairstyles men had in the forties.
I like 40's hairstyles better than the marcelled look of the thirties. But again, you've persuaded me to give something another look. ( Dang your hide! ) I like your ringletted screencaps of 30's heroines, Wendy. ( Yeah...I did forget about them. ) That style definitely accentuated their femininity. My favorite 'cap of this bunch is the one you posted of Dietrich. And I do think Merle Oberon, in general, had one of the most unique looks of all Movie Stars.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I always love seeing this style for some reason, and I agree, Loose Dietrich and Oberon had it all over the more tightly coiffed ladies. I specifically chose that one photo over the more curled and beribboned Dietrich versions from Scarlet Empress, because the looser flowing curls are so stunning.

I see my photos are still too big. Why is that, when I went to the trouble of shrinking every picture IN MY OWN COMPUTER, before I copied them, so they would fit right? I do not understand.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I always love seeing this style for some reason, and I agree, Loose Dietrich and Oberon had it all over the more tightly coiffed ladies. I specifically chose that one photo over the more curled and beribboned Dietrich versions from Scarlet Empress, because the looser flowing curls are so stunning.

I see my photos are still too big. Why is that, when I went to the trouble of shrinking every picture IN MY OWN COMPUTER, before I copied them, so they would fit right? I do not understand.
The images look fine to me on my computer, JF. Maybe you should hit your "refresh" button to see if your images appear to be the smaller size that you made them?

Btw, do you think that most of the hair styles admired in this thread might be wigs?

I often think that the "natural look" started around 1939, when Ingrid Bergman hit town with her own tresses (and eyebrows, though that was another thread), though Kay Francis occasionally let the hair flow au naturel in the '30s. One other hair style I always liked from this period was the Sydney Guilaroff 'do that I believe was originally created for an actress who is still around (and looking lovely in her 90s), Marsha Hunt. It was that cap-like look with straight hair on top and a ruffle of soft curls framing the face, a bit like the the classic Claudette Colbert style, but softer looking.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nope the ones that were originally big are still big on my computer, Moira, even after a refresh.

Wigs! I never think of that, except in films like Saratoga Trunk... (though I actually love Ingrids look in that one, and the clothes! oh...the clothes!

I love that 'cap' look, though I'm not averse to the 30's styles at all. I just like the soft straight hair on the back of the head, and the curl ruffled around the edges like a frame, I've even tried to get that look for myself to no avail. I have no idea how they were able to curl just the edges. Medium length or longer, I think it's most attractive.

I have to add another pic of Jeannie Crain's hair, her's is my absolute favorite, with Susan Hayward coming in a close second. they always looked like they just brushed out their tresses, and flipped it over, very natural, very sexy. You could run your fingers through that hair without getting them stuck.

ImageImage
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Your pix look fine on my computer, Wendy. But I know what you mean. That happens to me sometimes, and then by the next day, things look fine on my computer.

Marsha Hunt. I remember that haircut. It was very becoming on her. But she was beautiful in any event.

The exquisite Marsha Hunt.

I love her look in the above foto. As for Susan and Jeanne...yes to all you wrote. Dreamgirls even Rapunzel could envy.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »