GLENDA FARRELL

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
hbenthow

Re: GLENDA FARRELL

Post by hbenthow »

Is that Arthur Lake in your avatar? (I hope I get this one right)
Don't worry, you got that one right. It's Arthur Lake.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Are you a Blondie fan?
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Yes. I'm a fan of Blondie, Torchy Blane, The Thin Man, Ma and Pa Kettle, and quite a few other movie series.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I grew up on Blondie. I can't hear Penny Singleton or Arthur Lake's voices without thinking of it. In our area, the only classic films we got were Blondie, The Bowery Boys or Boston Blackie on the weekends!

It's amazing the careers of both Lake and Singleton, outside of the series. They turn up in all sorts of stuff, Penny was even a brunette at one time, as you probably already know. My first thought looking at your avatar was "Dagwood!" :D
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

I grew up watching the Blondie movies, too. I chose Arthur Lake for my avatar because Dagwood is one of my favorite characters, plus, there are a few things about myself that remind me of him, such as my taste in sandwiches. Fortunately, I don't have his tendency of running into mailmen.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That could be harmful to your health!

It's funny, we're having triple decker club sandwiches for dinner tonight.... a pure coincidence.
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

I have some great news!

One of my biggest sources for information about Glenda Farrell is a 1998 article from Classic Images magazine called Glenda Farrell: Diamond in the Rough. It doesn't cover quite everything, of course, (I had to find out quite a few things from some other sources) but it does have a lot of information. Well, I've found it online, so it's now available for all of you to read! Classic Images put the article up on their website back around 1999 or 2000, one or two years after publishing it in their magazine. There's no way to get it through the regular internet, as the article was apparently removed from the website some time ago. However, I did some digging, and managed to find an archived version of it from 2003 on Archive.org's Wayback Machine. For some reason, it's mistitled as a nonexistent article called Glenda Farrell: Film Music Genius by R.E. Braff, but it's actually Glenda Farrell: Diamond in the Rough by Dan Van Neste. Here it is:

http://web.archive.org/web/200303031232 ... rrell.html
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! How lucky that you found it, mislabeled as it was. An absolute treasure trove, plus that interview with Tommy!

So glad you are here at the SSO, you've made my day.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I had to do it...
[youtube][/youtube]

...so I did.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey! Did you make that intro just for us here at Glenda's thread?
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Wow. I'd never heard of the Glenda Farrell-Henry Ross preserve.

What is MovieCHAT?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0040BF]Jack[/color][/u] [u][color=#0040BF]Favell[/color][/u] wrote:Hey! Did you make that intro just for us here at Glenda's thread
Naaaah. This will be an intro to an upcoming MovieCHAT I did with Bob. I went up to his house in Southeast and we stopped by the preserve and filmed the intro. But because I knew there WAS a Glenda Farrell thread...I made sure to film there and give her a bit of a shout-out from classic film fans.
[u][color=#800000]hbenthow[/color][/u] wrote:Image
Glenda Farrell and Dr. Henry Ross.

Wow. I'd never heard of the Glenda Farrell-Henry Ross preserve. What is MovieCHAT?
Hi there HB. I don't think I've welcomed you here to the Oasis. WELCOME! You gave a wealth of info about Glenda. All veddy interesting. Hope to check out more of your thoughts on other films and stars as well.

MovieCHAT? Funny you should ask. MovieCHAT is...is...

Ohhhhhhhkay, before I send everyone here running and screaming, why not click on this foto of Pat Hitchcock which will get you to my thread:

Welcome again to the SSO.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You can see more about the Glenda Farrell-Henry Ross Preserve here:

http://www.pclt.net/view-preserve/glend ... -preserve/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

You can see more about the Glenda Farrell-Henry Ross Preserve here:

http://www.pclt.net/view-preserve/glend ... -preserve/
Thank you for the link. That page has a nice photo, and another page on that site has this interesting piece of information:

In 1977, Dr. Henry Ross donated 38 acres on Milltown Road in Southeast in memory of his life partner, the actress Glenda Farrell. This preserve, named the Glenda Farrell- Henry Ross Preserve contains many historic rock walls and unusual rock formations, and borders a Revolutionary War cemetery. The preserve sits on the area referred to as “The Oblong”, a tract of land between New York and Connecticut that was contested when these states borders were being laid out.

By the way, thanks to all of you for giving me such a warm welcome. I greatly appreciate it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

We're very glad to have your company, HB.

Love the Arthur Lake avatar too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks