Robert Q. Lewis

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
norfious

Robert Q. Lewis

Post by norfious »

For a while I have been hooked on 1950's-1960's game shows, specifically panel shows like "What's My Line" and "I've Got A Secret." Seeing the same folks on the panel each episode, I've become really interested in learning more about these people and the other work they do, listening to their radio broadcasts, etc.

Recently I discovered the show "The Name's The Same," which introduced me to Robert Q. Lewis. I've really been interested in learning more about this gentleman, but there does not seem to be too much out there that I can find, besides episodes of "The Name's the Same" and "What's My Line" on youtube. I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about him? Any videos, pictures, audio, stories, articles, etc? Everyone here always seems to have so much knowledge to share, so I thought I'd inquire here. :)

Thank you!
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Lucky Vassall

Re: Robert Q. Lewis

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Remember him well, including the fact that the "Q" doesn't stand for anything. He added it because there was already an actor named Robert Lewis.

He only made a couple of movies, but did a lot of TV. You can learn a lot about him from imdb.com - here's the URL:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0507691/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Robert Q. Lewis had a fun guest appearance on the season three opener of Bewitched as child photographer Diego Fenman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0523147/reference

Here are some clips from that episode, which include a few moments with the harried 'Uncle Diego' attempting to photograph little Tabitha whose powers have just begun to manifest:

[youtube][/youtube]
norfious

Post by norfious »

Thanks for your response, LuckyVassall! It's interesting to hear about his middle initial; I had heard several stories about it's origin, from it being an accidental slip on one of his radio shows that just stuck, to just adding it for giggles and telling everyone it stood for "quizzical." It makes sense that it was added to differentiate him from another actor with a similar name.

I have checked out his IMDB page and am trying to watch all of the films/tv shows listed there that I can get my hands on! Thus far I've seen him in "Good Neighbor Sam" and a handful of gameshows.
And yeah, I suppose this is more of a "People of TV" question than a "People of FIlm" question. ;)

Professional Tourist, thank you for the info and clip!
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

The only movie I remember Robert Q. Lewis doing was An Affair To Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. He played himself doing a television interview with Cary and his fiancé.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
norfious

Post by norfious »

For anyone who is interested, here is a collection of older news articles about Robert Q that I stumbled upon today.

Also, I am very surprised that he did not do more voice acting work. He had a magnificent voice, and what what I have heard it was really versatile, too.