Victor Mature

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
GaryCooper

Victor Mature

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Victor Mature

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Great to see a fine actor like Victor Mature get some credit.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:06 pm Great to see a fine actor like Victor Mature get some credit.
There's a well known story about VICTOR MATURE who realized he was not allowed to join a country club because he was an actor. MATURE supposedly replied "I'm no actor...! And I've got 35 movies to prove it!"
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:06 pm Great to see a fine actor like Victor Mature get some credit.
I agree. In fact, some time ago he really got some flack, saying they didn't like his face. He does have an interesting face. It borders something akin to an ugliness, but an attractive ugliness, not hideous or scary. I have a photo, a candid I believe, where he was chewing the fat with a secretary. She was very ordinary and regular, with a pleasant face. He was laughing and she was smiling and I take that he was amiable person.

He was so powerful in My Darling Clementine, he seem to overwhelm Henry Fonda, not in acting chops, but in sheer physicality. He would make excellent heavy but I'm guessing he preferred not to. And how perfect he was in The Shanghai Gesture. When I was a child I saw The Robe with my parents. I think mom had a little crush on him.

So very fine was he.

:smiley_snoopy: I'll agree with that.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

In Mature noir films for 20th Century Fox, he was very vulnerable without coming off as weak; We see this side of his screen persona regardless of if he was on the wrong side of the law (Kiss of Death), or on the side of the law (Cry of the City. This side of Mature was put to good use by the director of these noir films: In Kiss of Death both the law (as represented by the DA), and the hoods (Widmark in his first role), exploit Mature's vulnerability, viewing this as a sign of weakness, but Mature ends up exploiting both the law and the hoods.

In Cry of the City, the hood, Richard Conte (my favorite role of his), grew up with Mature's detective character, and tries to uses that against Mature. Mature gives Conte just enough rope to trap him and prevail.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:13 pm In Mature noir films for 20th Century Fox, he was very vulnerable without coming off as weak; We see this side of his screen persona regardless of if he was on the wrong side of the law (Kiss of Death), or on the side of the law (Cry of the City. This side of Mature was put to good use by the director of these noir films: In Kiss of Death both the law (as represented by the DA), and the hoods (Widmark in his first role), exploit Mature's vulnerability, viewing this as a sign of weakness, but Mature ends up exploiting both the law and the hoods.

In Cry of the City, the hood, Richard Conte (my favorite role of his), grew up with Mature's detective character, and tries to uses that against Mature. Mature gives Conte just enough rope to trap him and prevail.
Interesting the idea of "being vulnerable without coming off as weak" that parallels my rather lame and surface take as he being "powerful." With Victor it may be that it blends with his natural persona. It must have been because other directors exploited that quality (as you point out). Not to take anything away from Victors action chops. How many of our super-cool actors like Eastwood and McQueen would be loathe to hear a director's say, "I want you to play this vulnerable but don't look weak." To cross over to Baseball, I remember Dizzy Dean telling the story many times on TV, being a manager and talking to a pitcher, "Don't give him anything good to hit. But don't walk him." :smiley_chinrub:
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I love VICTOR MATURE particularly in KISS OF DEATH. My favorite part of his is in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE. But whatever part he's in, he makes the film better.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I have a man crush. Always have.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:17 pm I love VICTOR MATURE particularly in KISS OF DEATH. My favorite part of his is in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE. But whatever part he's in, he makes the film better.
Kiss of Death is one of my favorite noirs. Used to show up on Fox Movie channel often.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

LostHorizons wrote: December 8th, 2022, 5:08 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:17 pm I love VICTOR MATURE particularly in KISS OF DEATH. My favorite part of his is in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE. But whatever part he's in, he makes the film better.
Kiss of Death is one of my favorite noirs. Used to show up on Fox Movie channel often.
I own it on VHS!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I've only seen a handful of his movies but I always enjoy his performance. He comes across as so earnest and genuine. Reviewing what I've seen I apparently REALLY like him in historical epics. :lol: Any essential recommendations beyond these?

The Robe
Demetrius and the Gladiators
The Egyptian
Androcles and the Lion
Samson and Delilah
Violent Saturday
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Lomm wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:11 am I've only seen a handful of his movies but I always enjoy his performance. He comes across as so earnest and genuine. Reviewing what I've seen I apparently REALLY like him in historical epics. :lol: Any essential recommendations beyond these?

The Robe
Demetrius and the Gladiators
The Egyptian
Androcles and the Lion
Samson and Delilah
Violent Saturday
My Darling Clementine and I Wake Up Screaming

GC
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith