MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
EP Millstone

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by EP Millstone »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:16 pm Why are my answers ending up in the poster's box?

Please forgive my low-techness.
Bronxgirl48,

Place your answer below the last [/quote] code. See my visual aid.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

EP Millstone wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:26 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:16 pm Why are my answers ending up in the poster's box?

Please forgive my low-techness.
Bronxgirl48,

Place your answer below the last [/quote] code. See my visual aid.

Much thanks,EP!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

When I saw Lloyd Nolan in MICHAEL SHAYNE, DETECTIVE yesterday, I actually felt a twinge of....well, you know. Despite the fact I never cared for his laugh nor the resemblance to Bugs Bunny, Lloyd was a fairly attractive man with a decent physique.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:29 am Lafitte brought up a drowning scene in Deliverance. That wasn't the only film around that time with such an agonizing drowning. Another was Sometimes a Great Notion where a logger is partially trapped under a giant cut down tree in the water, and as the tide rises, the water overtakes him and drowns him as his friend is helpless to save him. Very disturbing scene, and one that resulted in an Oscar nod for the actor playing the doomed man.
Barbara Stanwyck did it first in Jeopardy.
laffite

Post by laffite »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:29 am
Lafitte brought up a drowning scene in Deliverance. That wasn't the only film around that time with such an agonizing drowning. Another was Sometimes a Great Notion where a logger is partially trapped under a giant cut down tree in the water, and as the tide rises, the water overtakes him and drowns him as his friend is helpless to save him. Very disturbing scene, and one that resulted in an Oscar nod for the actor playing the doomed man.
The German film Zentropa (1992) opens with a man falling into the water and going down, accompanied by a voice over that describes in precise detail exactly what he is experiencing. I rejected the movie the first time right then and there but believe that I tried it again. The content escapes me at the moment but it was about an American in Germany just following WWII and it was depressing as hell.

Dorothy Malone was trapped in a ship sinking in harbor. Jack Lemmon was with her but could not help her as the water level rose up to her mouth. I checked her filmography and could not find it by title alone. It was in color. I probably saw it in the theater. It disturbed my sleep afterward.

... As we paced along
Upon the giddy footing of the hatches,
Methought that Gloucester stumbled; and, in falling,
Struck me, that thought to stay him, overboard,
Into the tumbling billows of the main.
Lord, Lord! methought, what pain it was to drown!
What dreadful noise of waters in mine ears!
What ugly sights of death within mine eyes!
Methought I saw a thousand fearful wrecks;
Ten thousand men that fishes gnaw'd upon;
Wedges of gold, great anchors, heaps of pearl,
Inestimable stones, unvalued jewels,
All scatter'd in the bottom of the sea:
Some lay in dead men's skulls; and, in those holes
Where eyes did once inhabit, there were crept,
As 'twere in scorn of eyes, reflecting gems,
Which woo'd the slimy bottom of the deep,
And mock'd the dead bones that lay scatter'd by.

Shakespeare : Richard III ; Act I Scene 4 (spoken by Clarence)

Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:33 pm When I saw Lloyd Nolan in MICHAEL SHAYNE, DETECTIVE yesterday, I actually felt a twinge of....well, you know. Despite the fact I never cared for his laugh nor the resemblance to Bugs Bunny, Lloyd was a fairly attractive man with a decent physique.
I think the nasty Lloyd is as his best as a very bad cop in Every Day's a Holiday, but Mae West takes care of him! And the nice Lloyd is at his best as a good cop in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, in which he gives a touching performance.

LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

laffite wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:41 pm Dorothy Malone was trapped in a ship sinking in harbor. Jack Lemmon was with her but could not help her as the water level rose up to her mouth. I checked her filmography and could not find it by title alone. It was in color. I probably saw it in the theater. It disturbed my sleep afterward.
Are you by chance thinking of The Last Voyage (1960) with Dorothy Malone and Robert Stack? Considering how many disaster movies I've caught over the years, that is one I've yet to see. But I recall commercials for it that fit what you are describing.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LiamCasey wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:18 pm
laffite wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:41 pm Dorothy Malone was trapped in a ship sinking in harbor. Jack Lemmon was with her but could not help her as the water level rose up to her mouth. I checked her filmography and could not find it by title alone. It was in color. I probably saw it in the theater. It disturbed my sleep afterward.
Are you by chance thinking of The Last Voyage (1960) with Dorothy Malone and Robert Stack? Considering how many disaster movies I've caught over the years, that is one I've yet to see. But I recall commercials for it that fit what you are describing.
Yes, you are right.

After some research, the movie I was thinking of is Fire Down Below (1957) where it was the Jack Lemmon character who was caught below decks after an explosion and under similar danger as Dorothy Malone in her movie. In FDB, there is a disturbance on the ship that freed Lemmon and in a following scene
we see Lemmon confronting Mitchum for having stolen his girl, Rita Hayworth.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I fancy an ice cold Budweiser for breakfast. And the good news is I’ve got a few cold ones left for lunch.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thompson, are you watching any good movies with the beer?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:05 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:33 pm When I saw Lloyd Nolan in MICHAEL SHAYNE, DETECTIVE yesterday, I actually felt a twinge of....well, you know. Despite the fact I never cared for his laugh nor the resemblance to Bugs Bunny, Lloyd was a fairly attractive man with a decent physique.
I think the nasty Lloyd is as his best as a very bad cop in Every Day's a Holiday, but Mae West takes care of him! And the nice Lloyd is at his best as a good cop in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, in which he gives a touching performance.

I've never seen EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY! Must put that on my Watch List. Does his character make a play for Mae? (hey that rhymes)

Oh I adore Lloyd in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKYN! One of his finest performances.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 12:27 pm Hibi, you were right about CRY WOLF.
LOL!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

It was definitely tough going, Hibi, to be sure, ha! The late '40's had a lot of this ponderous stuff (although I do like THE WOMAN IN WHITE; Sydney Greenstreet is outstandingly villainous). Am trying to think of that dud with Flynn and Ida Lupino where I think they play -- Italian gypsies. Yes. I am afraid to look up the title.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:09 pm It was definitely tough going, Hibi, to be sure, ha! The late '40's had a lot of this ponderous stuff (although I do like THE WOMAN IN WHITE; Sydney Greenstreet is outstandingly villainous). Am trying to think of that dud with Flynn and Ida Lupino where I think they play -- Italian gypsies. Yes. I am afraid to look up the title.
OMG!!!! How did I miss THAT one???? :D
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL

I finally had the courage to look it up -- ESCAPE ME NEVER.