MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
txfilmfan

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by txfilmfan »

There's also a time element involved. All the hosts have other jobs, and hosting TCM intros/outros is just a part-time gig. The hosts record these things in batches as their schedules permit. They might do as many as several weeks worth of intros/outros in one go. Even if they do catch a mistake, there may not be time to re-record.

No film or TV show is perfect. Just take a look at the number of IMDb goof entries.

The goofs are interesting to point out, but life goes on.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Possibly. Joan always made the mistake of trying to correct her mistake instead of just ignoring it and moving on. LOL.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 5th, 2024, 2:48 pm

Dark Shadows had all sorts of mistakes, sometimes by star and one of my favorites, Joan Bennett. E.g. calling a character by the wrong name. They would just keep on rolling!
I recently went through the entire series on Tubi. The biggest blooper I saw was between Carolyn (Nancy Barrett) and Jeb Hawkes (Christopher Pennock). In the scene he kissed her so roughly that her lip was cut. She was wiping the blood from her mouth (and his!) but simply went on with the scene.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 5th, 2024, 12:28 am
Keep the lights on and don't go into the bathroom!
It's a lot less scarier in the mid afternoon. Unfortunately, I had a dentist appointment
today and only watched about the first 45 minutes just to see how good the print was.
Pretty good. I hope it's one of those deals where TCM has to show the movie more than
once cause I would like to see it again. I had an old VHS copy of it, not sure if I still do.
That has to be one of the shabbiest private schools around. Why would the parents of
the rich kid send him there? And that brackish pool. Yuck. Oh yeah there's a murder too.
And if there was anyone who deserved to be killed Michel comes pretty close. Very well
done. Hard to see how Hitchcock could improve this one.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: June 5th, 2024, 4:07 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 5th, 2024, 2:48 pm

Dark Shadows had all sorts of mistakes, sometimes by star and one of my favorites, Joan Bennett. E.g. calling a character by the wrong name. They would just keep on rolling!
I recently went through the entire series on Tubi. The biggest blooper I saw was between Carolyn (Nancy Barrett) and Jeb Hawkes (Christopher Pennock). In the scene he kissed her so roughly that her lip was cut. She was wiping the blood from her mouth (and his!) but simply went on with the scene.
OMG!!!!!!!!! Now that's a pro! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: June 5th, 2024, 4:17 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 5th, 2024, 12:28 am
Keep the lights on and don't go into the bathroom!
It's a lot less scarier in the mid afternoon. Unfortunately, I had a dentist appointment
today and only watched about the first 45 minutes just to see how good the print was.
Pretty good. I hope it's one of those deals where TCM has to show the movie more than
once cause I would like to see it again. I had an old VHS copy of it, not sure if I still do.
That has to be one of the shabbiest private schools around. Why would the parents of
the rich kid send him there? And that brackish pool. Yuck. Oh yeah there's a murder too.
And if there was anyone who deserved to be killed Michel comes pretty close. Very well
done. Hard to see how Hitchcock could improve this one.
The story is so French, I'm kind of glad Hitchcock didn't get the rights. I'm sure it would've been good, but not the same vibe.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

How would Hitchcock have cast the three leads in the mid-50s when Diabolique was made?
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

He would have cast Vanel as the dop-he used him in To Catch a Thief,Vera Miles, I would have cast Richard Conte as the villain Anne Baxter as the mistress
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: June 5th, 2024, 4:47 pm

The story is so French, I'm kind of glad Hitchcock didn't get the rights. I'm sure it would've been good, but not the same vibe.
Though it looked like they were using a bottle of Johnnie Walker, though I wouldn't
swear to that. It does make an interesting what if. I don't see how Hitch could have
improved on it. That shabby school makes the Bates' Motel look like a high end
property. The Wiki entry has some interesting details about the movie. I saw the
1996 remake. Pretty good, but not as good as the original.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Mine:
"Do I know you?"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: June 5th, 2024, 7:25 pm

Though it looked like they were using a bottle of Johnnie Walker, though I wouldn't
swear to that. It does make an interesting what if. I don't see how Hitch could have
property. The Wiki entry has some interesting details about the movie. I saw the
I'll have to go over there and read it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: June 5th, 2024, 7:25 pm

Surprised to learn how different the film is to the novel. I'm not sure I understand how the novel worked with the little info that was given. I'll have to read it one day.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 5th, 2024, 12:37 pm Looks like some folks around here need to practice yoga.

lol, I'm trying but it's not always easy. Thanks for reminding me that I keep needing to breathe out and in very slowly.

I attempted calmness last night as Ben was interviewing Pappy's grandson Dan, and almost succeeded. ("almost" being the operative word, lol) Mank went p.c. immediately re: THE SEARCHERS. But, I should have expected it! Blames all on me for over-reacting I guess...
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: June 5th, 2024, 6:40 pm How would Hitchcock have cast the three leads in the mid-50s when Diabolique was made?

I was thinking the same thing!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

nakanosunplaza wrote: June 5th, 2024, 6:51 pm He would have cast Vanel as the dop-he used him in To Catch a Thief,Vera Miles, I would have cast Richard Conte as the villain Anne Baxter as the mistress

Vera Miles as the wife did cross my mind! Conte and Baxter, good choices.