MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree, how did your dental apppointment go?

There is an additional frisson at the end of DIABOLOQUE that is almost brilliantly "offhand" yet manages to leave a chill up one's spine...(what the schoolboy says)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:50 am

Surprised to learn how different the film is to the novel. I'm not sure I understand how the novel worked with the little info that was given. I'll have to read it one day.
He did make some significant changes, though that is nothing new. He put in the
setting of the private school, which I always get a kick out of. I would imagine
it might be a bit difficult finding a copy of the novel today, even with all the
sources now available.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Ben: "Dan Ford has spent his whole life dedicated to the memory of his famous grandfather John Ford"

Dan: "Well, it was shorter than that"
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 3:25 pm
nakanosunplaza wrote: June 5th, 2024, 6:51 pm He would have cast Vanel as the dop-he used him in To Catch a Thief,Vera Miles, I would have cast Richard Conte as the villain Anne Baxter as the mistress

Vera Miles as the wife did cross my mind! Conte and Baxter, good choices.
Cary Grant (or Raymond Burr) for the husband; Doris Day for the wife; Eva Marie Saint for the mistress
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: June 6th, 2024, 3:56 pm

Surprised to learn how different the film is to the novel. I'm not sure I understand how the novel worked with the little info that was given. I'll have to read it one day.
setting of the private school, which I always get a kick out of. I would imagine
it might be a bit difficult finding a copy of the novel today, even with all the
sources now available.
Yeah, I imagine it's been out of print for some time. The film sounds like it improved the plot from the book.. The lesbians definitely wouldn't fly in 50s films (though Simone always gave off that vibe to me in the film). The insurance scam sounds less interesting than the film's plotting. Trying to picture the sex change thing. Not quite sure I understand that part. And only one woman not two?
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Hibi wrote: June 6th, 2024, 5:21 pm

sources now available.
Yeah, I imagine it's been out of print for some time. The film sounds like it improved the plot from the book.. The lesbians definitely wouldn't fly in 50s films (though Simone always gave off that vibe to me in the film). The insurance scam sounds less interesting than the film's plotting. Trying to picture the sex change thing. Not quite sure I understand that part. And only one woman not two?
The change of the murderers' roles in the movie was made to ensure Véra Clouzot had a substantial part. In the novel, the wife is drowned by her husband and his mistress to claim her life insurance. However, Henri-Georges Clouzot felt Véra Clouzot wouldn't be convincing as the mistress. Wanting Véra to have a prominent role (since that was one reason for making the movie in the first place), he revised the plot, making the delicate wife (portrayed by Véra) conspire with the robust mistress to drown the husband. In the novel, the husband and his mistress drown the wife, but her body vanishes, leaving her absent for much of the story. The twist is the revelation that the wife and the mistress were also lovers and had plotted to murder the husband for his insurance money so that the two women could be together and live off the insurance money. In the novel, it's the husband who has a weak heart. He has a heart attack when the wife he believed to dead seems to come back to life. In the novel, the wife and mistress get away with the plot and collect the life insurance.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

sources now available.

I also got that same vibe from Simone. It was very subtle but there.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 6th, 2024, 5:16 pm
nakanosunplaza wrote: June 5th, 2024, 6:51 pm He would have cast Vanel as the dop-he used him in To Catch a Thief,Vera Miles, I would have cast Richard Conte as the villain Anne Baxter as the mistress

Cary Grant (or Raymond Burr) for the husband; Doris Day for the wife; Eva Marie Saint for the mistress

Could Raymond Burr get into the tub?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 5th, 2024, 9:41 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 5th, 2024, 2:24 am I missed that. What did he say?
Oh, he said that the premise of Peggy Sue was the age old question that if you would go back in time knowing what you knew, would you go back and change your life, and he said no, because he led a perfect life. It had me grinding my teeth.

I feel your frustration -- and agree with I Love Melvin that it was a (failed) attempt at self-deprecating "humor". Poor Ben, lol, bless his heart.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Confession: I have a crush on Leo Genn.

Good actor, too. I especially like him as the ironic Petronius in QUO VADIS. I could definitely understand why that female slave was so ga-ga for him.

(did I just say ga-ga?)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:19 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 6th, 2024, 5:16 pm

Could Raymond Burr get into the tub?
If Hitch went with Burr, he would have changed the drowning to happen in a a swimming pool or maybe a lake . . .
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Maybe, although Hitch "used" Burr's weight to sinister advantage in REAR WINDOW.

Hey! HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE borrowed from DIABOLIQUE. (I just remembered)
Andree

Post by Andree »

I did a quick check on Amazon. The original French version is easy to obtain and
inexpensive. The English translation has limited options and is pretty expensive.
I'm not that curious.

If one wanted to look at it in that way Simone could be the butch/dominating
party and Vera Clouzot the femme/submissive one. But to me that's a very big
stretch.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 3:34 pm Andree, how did your dental apppointment go?

There is an additional frisson at the end of DIABOLOQUE that is almost brilliantly "offhand" yet manages to leave a chill up one's spine...(what the schoolboy says)
Very well. No cavities. I felt sorry for the person in the next section. Cavities and
needing a new crown. Double ouch.

They might have had to find William Howard Taft's old bathtub for Raymond Burr
to fit into. Paul Meurisse was not that physically imposing, so I don't know if Burr
would be a good choice. Meurisse has a more subtle menace. But that's just speculation.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Congrats on your healthy teeth! You must be a superior flosser!

I saw DIABOLIQUE years ago and (without knowing anything about the novel) I detected some definite interest in Vera by Simone. It wasn't just the facade of keeping up a friendship for the sake of deception but honest physical and emotional feelings for the wife.

Paul Meurisse is perfect as the husband. (he resembled Paul Henreid and you wouldn't expect Paul Henreid to be anything other than a wonderful, supportive mate and if he did anything so hideous, we'd be shocked! And we were!)