MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
laffite

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:31 pm Confession: I have a crush on Leo Genn.

Good actor, too. I especially like him as the ironic Petronius in QUO VADIS. I could definitely understand why that female slave was so ga-ga for him.

(did I just say ga-ga?)
Yes, you did, but you're okay. I doubt you'll be banned. Though we seem to live in the Age of the Ban.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I took my glasses off for a moment and thought you wrote "the Age of the Ben"

Bless his heart.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I often confuse Lauritz Melchior with Jussie Bjorling. I heard the latter sing something from GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST on YouTube. It was beautiful.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Maybe it wasn't THE GIRL FROM THE GOLDEN WEST.

Now I am totally confused.

But that isn't unusual for moi.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 11:14 pm Congrats on your healthy teeth! You must be a superior flosser!

I saw DIABOLIQUE years ago and (without knowing anything about the novel) I detected some definite interest in Vera by Simone. It wasn't just the facade of keeping up a friendship for the sake of deception but honest physical and emotional feelings for the wife.

Paul Meurisse is perfect as the husband. (he resembled Paul Henreid and you wouldn't expect Paul Henreid to be anything other than a wonderful, supportive mate and if he did anything so hideous, we'd be shocked! And we were!)
The electric toothbrush is your choppers best friend. I don't use the old fashioned
thin floss but the ones that are like little brushes.

I really don't see much of an attraction between Simone and Clouzot, though it is
obvious that Simone calls most of the shots and Clouzot mostly goes along. Yes,
Henreid's screen persona is that of the understanding good guy though he did play
a darker role on occasion.

Right now on AHP Dennis Weaver is suffering from Insomnia. This will not end well.
I usually sleep well at night. That probably comes from having a crystal clear conscience. :D
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Can't get used to an electric toothbrush. I'm just an old-fashioned girl, lol. I also use those wood Stim-U-Dents and the rubber-tipped thingies that massage the gums.

I've never seen Paul Meurisse in another movie but if I did I would probably freak out the same way I reacted to Barry Foster after FRENZY. Eeek!

I'm feeling like Dennis Weaver right now. It is four in the morning and I cannot close my eyes. Maybe I'll make myself a large cup of hot cocoa even though it's 90 degrees here in South Florida.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:19 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 6th, 2024, 5:16 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 3:25 pm

Vera Miles as the wife did cross my mind! Conte and Baxter, good choices.
Cary Grant (or Raymond Burr) for the husband; Doris Day for the wife; Eva Marie Saint for the mistress

Could Raymond Burr get into the tub?
LOL! Maybe during his dieting phase.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: June 6th, 2024, 11:33 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:31 pm Confession: I have a crush on Leo Genn.

Good actor, too. I especially like him as the ironic Petronius in QUO VADIS. I could definitely understand why that female slave was so ga-ga for him.

(did I just say ga-ga?)
Yes, you did, but you're okay. I doubt you'll be banned. Though we seem to live in the Age of the Ban.

Why do you keep changing your avatar? It gets confusing.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 3:34 pm Andree, how did your dental apppointment go?

There is an additional frisson at the end of DIABOLOQUE that is almost brilliantly "offhand" yet manages to leave a chill up one's spine...(what the schoolboy says)
YES!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: June 7th, 2024, 12:23 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 11:14 pm Congrats on your healthy teeth! You must be a superior flosser!

I saw DIABOLIQUE years ago and (without knowing anything about the novel) I detected some definite interest in Vera by Simone. It wasn't just the facade of keeping up a friendship for the sake of deception but honest physical and emotional feelings for the wife.

Paul Meurisse is perfect as the husband. (he resembled Paul Henreid and you wouldn't expect Paul Henreid to be anything other than a wonderful, supportive mate and if he did anything so hideous, we'd be shocked! And we were!)
The electric toothbrush is your choppers best friend. I don't use the old fashioned
thin floss but the ones that are like little brushes.

I really don't see much of an attraction between Simone and Clouzot, though it is
obvious that Simone calls most of the shots and Clouzot mostly goes along. Yes,
Henreid's screen persona is that of the understanding good guy though he did play
a darker role on occasion.

Right now on AHP Dennis Weaver is suffering from Insomnia. This will not end well.
I usually sleep well at night. That probably comes from having a crystal clear conscience. :D

No, I didn't mean to imply there was an attraction there, just that Signoret gives off lesbian vibes to me. The haircut; just her whole performance. It's subtle though. It's like she's the "man" in the woman relationship. She takes charge. I'm not sure if it was intended by the director to throw the audience off or what.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 3:59 pm Ben: "Dan Ford has spent his whole life dedicated to the memory of his famous grandfather John Ford"

Dan: "Well, it was shorter than that"
LOL! I"m kinda sorry I missed this.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:39 pm
Hibi wrote: June 6th, 2024, 5:21 pm

Yeah, I imagine it's been out of print for some time. The film sounds like it improved the plot from the book.. The lesbians definitely wouldn't fly in 50s films (though Simone always gave off that vibe to me in the film). The insurance scam sounds less interesting than the film's plotting. Trying to picture the sex change thing. Not quite sure I understand that part. And only one woman not two?
I did a quick check on Amazon. The original French version is easy to obtain and
inexpensive. The English translation has limited options and is pretty expensive.
I'm not that curious.

If one wanted to look at it in that way Simone could be the butch/dominating
party and Vera Clouzot the femme/submissive one. But to me that's a very big
stretch.
Yeah, I figured as much. (the french version would be easier to obtain). Oh, well. Maybe I can find a used copy somewhere sometime. Yeah, that's how it comes across to me. Vera is ultra feminine; Simone just the opposite. I'm not sure if its a subtle joke by the director or just how it comes across to modern audiences.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I went electric and never went back. Use the proxy brushes too. Still get cavities. Old age sucks!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LUCKY ME!!!! I found an English translation (along with another book title) for 8 bucks on ebay!!! Unsure if they knew what they were selling (the other copies were very expensive). Can't wait to read it! (checked local libraries and none have it)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: June 7th, 2024, 7:39 am
laffite wrote: June 6th, 2024, 11:33 pm

(did I just say ga-ga?)

Why do you keep changing your avatar? It gets confusing.
Just an experiment ... of sorts. Thought it might be fun. I am not the first to do this. A way back when a very prominent poster changed his avatar everyday, a different actor everyday. The formula for me is to post a picture of an actor or an actress or a scene from a movie, then identify the movie in the signature section, not usually mentioning the actor as they are readily recognizable by all our esteemed members here. Like Loretta up there. The photos come not from the Net, they are photos that I have photographed with my camera from the movie on screen. The result most of the time is quite good. I have an android phone. As to the sharp frequency, every two or three days, I have dared to think that it might be entertaining.

With due respect, however, why the confusion? If you, Hibi, for instance, did this same thing I should not be confused because I know you are by your screen name at the top of the post. Or maybe it is disconcerting in some way. True, most in fact nearly all avatars are virtually permanent and become identified with the poster.

///