Screen Presence

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
kingrat

Re: Screen Presence

Post by kingrat »

It's fascinating that Cary Grant isn't yet "Cary Grant" in his early pictures. In Sylvia Scarlett I get the sense that we're seeing someone closer to Archie Leach. In Hot Saturday he doesn't quite have the right look. I once queried on these boards or the TCM site whether he had plastic surgery, but the others thought not. Mae West saw his potential and was smart to ask for him. I'm guessing that the hair, makeup, and lighting people figured out how he looked best on camera, and he became Cary Grant.

Frank Capra wanted to make Jean Arthur a star, and had her hair dyed different shades until they discovered which way she photographed best. I remember tuning in to one of her early pictures, and here is a Jean Harlow-type platinum blonde, but when she opens her mouth, you know it can only be Jean Arthur. Bette Davis (Follies of 1934) and Ida Lupino (Search for Beauty) were others who got the platinum blonde treatment.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Feinberg wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 2:29 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 1:50 pm can anyone post EASY instructions on how to post pictures (& gifs) here??
:? :headbang:
If you go to the full editor option and preview you will see a ruler above. 3 buttons to the left of the Font which reads "Normal" you will see a landscape button. Click on it and it will give you Image then simply copy the image address of the photo you have selected and paste it between the brackets. Check the preview mode to see if it works.
thanks, Bogie
but can't seem to discover a proper 'image address' link that works

ooooooh LOOK I at least did manage a giphy!! :smiley_heartbounce:
:?
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

kingrat wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 7:13 pm It's fascinating that Cary Grant isn't yet "Cary Grant" in his early pictures. In Sylvia Scarlett I get the sense that we're seeing someone closer to Archie Leach. In Hot Saturday he doesn't quite have the right look. I once queried on these boards or the TCM site whether he had plastic surgery, but the others thought not. Mae West saw his potential and was smart to ask for him. I'm guessing that the hair, makeup, and lighting people figured out how he looked best on camera, and he became Cary Grant.

Frank Capra wanted to make Jean Arthur a star, and had her hair dyed different shades until they discovered which way she photographed best. I remember tuning in to one of her early pictures, and here is a Jean Harlow-type platinum blonde, but when she opens her mouth, you know it can only be Jean Arthur. Bette Davis (Follies of 1934) and Ida Lupino (Search for Beauty) were others who got the platinum blonde treatment.
His naive and benevolent church going character in She Done Him Wrong stands out as something he would never play in later pictures. I haven’t seen that picture in a while but I remember him being far more naive and good humored than in his later films.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »