Alan Ladd

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Alan Ladd

Post by moira finnie »

I believe that you are thinking of Calcutta (1947), Miss G. I haven't seen that one either. I thought that I saw it on youtube awhile ago but either I'm forgetting where or it was deleted recently. I'll keep hunting of it and let you know if I find it. I like Gail Russell very much too. She's one of those actresses you always want to protect.

Here's the Mitchell Leisen movie I bad-mouthed above. Someone just posted this on youtube. Maybe I was just in a bad mood the day I saw it. See what you guys think:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Gail Russell is an actress I don't see much of. A couple of John Wayne films. THE UNINVITED. She was lovely and gentle. As Moira said, you want to hold her hand. Why have I not see more of this lady?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Alan Ladd fans, take heart! David Ladd, one of the actor's children (and a mover and shaker in Hollywood today) is interviewed by Alan K. Rode about the forgotten gem, The Great Gatsby (1949) and his family history:

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

[Originally posted in the Film Noir Foundation Video Archive area of the SSO]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I was looking at discount videos today. Almost fell down when I came across THE IRON MISTRESS! I haven't seen hide nor hair of that Alan Ladd adventure in fifty years. This turned out to be a different movie. Martial arts, not Bowie knives. Ladd plays Jim Bowie in the other one, a Gordon Douglas film I enjoyed as a child. I would have bought that video simply to be the only person in the world who had it. Or had even heard of it!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I was looking at discount videos today. Almost fell down when I came across THE IRON MISTRESS! I haven't seen hide nor hair of that Alan Ladd adventure in fifty years. This turned out to be a different movie. Martial arts, not Bowie knives. Ladd plays Jim Bowie in the other one, a Gordon Douglas film I enjoyed as a child. I would have bought that video simply to be the only person in the world who had it. Or had even heard of it!
I love the duel in the dark in that movie--but I always yell at the screen for Jim Bowie (Alan Ladd) to smarten up and quit chasing that flashy baggage, Virginia Mayo! This movie is great fun. Glad to know it is around on video at all. Btw, this movie has popped up on the Encore Western and TCM schedules a few times too.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Glad to know it is around on video at all

It may not be. I was looking at something else. When I was literally a toddler, just no bigger than a 12 inch black and white TV, we watched THE ADVENTURES OF JIM BOWIE on TV! That actually is on DVD. I haven't purchased it, but I've seen it in The Dollar Store.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:Glad to know it is around on video at all

It may not be. I was looking at something else. When I was literally a toddler, just no bigger than a 12 inch black and white TV, we watched THE ADVENTURES OF JIM BOWIE on TV! That actually is on DVD. I haven't purchased it, but I've seen it in The Dollar Store.
That tv show is pretty entertaining too. The Iron Mistress is available on DVD from the Warner Archive.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: August 11th, 2023, 7:48 pm It was fun to discover this old thread on Alan Ladd Day, especially when I'd seen the last 45 minutes or so of The Iron Mistress. Far from a great film, not as well acted or directed as it might be, but definitely entertaining. For a gal who, to my mind, looks like a diner waitress, Virginia Mayo did an astonishing number of costume dramas. She isn't a good enough actress to carry a picture, but in the right part she can be very effective, as in White Heat and The Best Years of Our Lives. In The Iron Mistress she gets to play a no-good Creole gal with the remarkable name of Judalon de Bornay.

Alan Ladd is one of those actors who, whatever you thinking of his acting, can carry a picture. Many of his films were from Paramount were rarely seen on TCM for many years.
I had seen all of the Ladd films TCM showed yesterday. I watched the trio of Ladd\Lake pictures. I was really hoping TCM would feature other Paramount Ladd films they rarely if ever show like Lucky Jordan, Salty O'Rourke and Calcutta the last two with the Gail Russell, an actress with a unique screen persona.

Of course, most of us would have welcomed The Great Gatsby but I knew that has right's issues.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:(

Did I hear correctly last night, that Ladd wasn't even a Best Actor nominee for SHANE?????

Damn.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 11:41 am :(

Did I hear correctly last night, that Ladd wasn't even a Best Actor nominee for SHANE?????

Damn.
Shane was made in 1951 by Paramount, the last film Ladd made under his initial long-term contract with the studio.

In 1952 Ladd signed a 10 year non-exclusive deal with Warner (one film per year), thus Ladd could make films for other studios.

During the studio-era studios would provide the nominees and\or highly promote their under-contract talent for nominations.

Thus, there was no logical\financial reason for Paramount to push for Ladd for an Oscar for Shane.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I had no idea, james. Thanks for this crucial info.

(I take nothing away from Bogie who is a delight in THE AFRICAN QUEEN)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 12th, 2023, 12:23 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 11:41 am :(

Damn.
Shane was made in 1951 by Paramount, the last film Ladd made under his initial long-term contract with the studio.

In 1952 Ladd signed a 10 year non-exclusive deal with Warner (one film per year), thus Ladd could make films for other studios.

During the studio-era studios would provide the nominees and\or highly promote their under-contract talent for nominations.

Thus, there was no logical\financial reason for Paramount to push for Ladd for an Oscar for Shane.

Brooklyn-born and Long Island-raised Brandon deWilde was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role of Joey in SHANE.

I'm glad the version of SHANE that aired recently on TCM was not the one where Joey's "Bye, Shane!" at the end of the movie is drowned out by the music.
On one of the re-masters, some sound mixer apparently thought they were doing good by cranking up the score at that point, not realizing there was dialogue.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Goodbye, little Joe"

That always gets me.

I love Alan Ladd.

In more ways than one.