3 Christian films with a message

stuart.uk

3 Christian films with a message

Post by stuart.uk »

i was just wondering what folk thought about these three religious films, though i hope that no one takes offense by the thread.

being a Christian myself i know one feature film shown in Churches in the UK was The Cross And The Switchblade with Pat Boone as a real life Pastor who persuades a gang to turn over their knifes and convert to Christianity. However, while the film was used to bring folk into the Church, i think i'm right in saying the film, particulary Pat Boone was slated by the critics and failed at the box office.

Billy Graham wanted in the 60s to make a British film about a two-bit gangster, who falls for a Christian girl. as it happens shortly before Cliff Richard coverted to Christianity and was approached to play the bad boy lead, in Two A Penny, who coverts in the end. sadly, because it was Cliff's only non-singing dramatic performance, the film never really saw the light of day at the cinema, though my church hired a theatre to air the film in the late 60s.

possibly this doesn't belong here as it was made for all members of the cinema going public, but i think Elvis' Change Of Habit has the feel of a Christian made movie. i enjoyed the film when i saw it first as a kid, but as an adult went of it, thinking the plot, of Nuns wearing mini-skirts and going under cover in New York, was plain daft. however, on another film forum which i used to belong, a Catholic film buff told me that the film in that aspect was realistic. that made me want to see the film again and although i've only seen bits of it on You Tube, i've been very impressed.

as a footnote, i'm begining to realise that while it's accepted that Elvis' early movies were his best, that while the mid 60s films were largely junk, it looked like he was begining to make decent films again with the likes of this and Charro at the end of the decade. i remember composer Tim Rice saying that instead of working like a dog on his concert shows, he should have continued to make the occassional movie along with more limited concerts
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

While I'm not a fan of many overt Christian dramas, there are a couple I like:

The Hiding Place (1975)

Maximilian: Saint of Auschwitz (1995)

Both films are true stories of heroic acts by everyday people living under the Nazi regime. The performers all do a great job. The Hiding Place is a very well shot film, while Maximilian was made on a shoe-string budget with one actor playing all the characters of the movie.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

It might be an idea to delete the thread, but i'm not sure how to do it
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

JohnM wrote:What would be an example of an overt Christian drama, and why aren't you a fan?
When I say "Christian drama", I am usually speaking in context of a film made by the Christian church for the explicit use of delivering the Christian message to unbelievers. I have no problems with the propagandist nature of such films (indeed many films are a writer or director's interpretation of life and what is important therein), but in many cases they are poorly made, have bad plots, or the acting is not what it should be. I think in some cases many churches are afraid to make daring films that might alienate their parishioners so they stick to simple, bland fare. Other films such as Left Behind seek to interpret a very dense book in a simplistic way. While their motivations might be good ones, I see no value in frightening people with the Gospel--Jesus never did.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

stuart.uk wrote:It might be an idea to delete the thread, but i'm not sure how to do it
Why would you want to delete it? All films are welcome for discussion here. 8)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I don't think that this thread needs to be deleted as long as each of us remembers to treat each other's differences with respect, Stuart. So far, I have no problem with this discussion and I hope that no one else does.

It's just my perception, but I'm always reminded of the line from St. Paul's Epistle 1 Corinthians 13 when seeing these discussions:
"For now we see through a glass, darkly." Perhaps films might be one attempt to see a bit more clearly through each other's eyes.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I am not a Christian. I've seen many films with a Christian, or at least a religious theme (which, 9.99 times out of 10, is a Christian theme). Many have been good, and many have been entertaining, or at least, interesting.

I do, however, have a problem with proselytizing when it becomes smug, self-righteous and/or heavy-handed. I am usually interested in hearing about and considering any workable system of beliefs and moral codes, but I don't appreciate being hit over the head with it, or being told that it's the one and only way to go, and that I'm just plain wrong/stupid/naive/damned, if I don't agree.

I find that this is the problem with much of the cinema that likes to think of itself as "Christian:" such films think far too much of their own message, and far too little of the people the message is intended for. They lay it on us until we're smothered, because they don't trust us to get it, or maybe because they don't trust themselves to make us get it.

I agree with Mr A that far too many of these "message" movies are of a threatening nature. There are many who adhere to faiths that use the fire and brimstone approach, but there are many more of us who do not. Personally, I resent being threatened by anyone about anything; and that approach is certainly not going to win me over. I strongly believe that my relationship with the Higher Powers is no one else's business.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Christian films that are produced by Christian film organizations are probably going to sound that way as they are targeted to a Christian audience. I can imagine how they may sound too harsh to non-Christians.

I don't mean this to sound contrary but are there any you could share that you think heavy-handed? I'm a Christian and if we've seen the same films I probably see them in a different light. I'm interested because it would make a difference on my suggesting anything. There are different ways to approach the same end. I certainly don't want to run anyone off.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I'd be interested in hearing where people would classify my three favorite Carl Th. Dreyer films: THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC, DAY OF WRATH, and ORDET. Each overtly uses Christian themes to drive the narrative, which at least in part deals with transcendence, but each approaches transcendence somewhat differently -- and from a director who claimed (so I understand) not to be religious and that his films were not really about religion.

Then we can tackle Robert Bresson.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I tend to resent films that present faith as an all or nothing deal, but if a movie is made specifically for only those whose faith is certain, then it doesn't bother me, though I may not share their belief system.

I think I have a strong streak of faith personally and 13 years of formal Catholic education, though that is now leavened with a good deal of learned perspective and humility from my own life as well as some understanding (I hope) on the uses and abuses of established religious belief in this world, (which is often separate from the reality of spirituality).

The most effective spiritual or religious movies often seem to be those that make you think, not necessarily just believe, whether they are real works of art such as Passion de Jeanne d'Arc or commercial entertainment such as Strange Cargo, or any other film that touches on spiritual longing, (which, despite its topical popularity at various moments in movie history, can sometimes be a dicey gamble with audiences, though a showman like De Mille certainly seems to have hit on a whale of a formula blending sex and sin profitably for decades :wink:).

Speaking of Robert Bresson, especially his adaptation of Georges Bernanos' The Diary of a Country Priest (1950) and other films examine the loneliness and uncertainty that goes hand in hand with faith, or at least that's how I see his movies. When his characters try to live according to what they believe in this imperfect world they may have moments of transcendence, but each of them inevitably comes up against the limits of their perception and understanding. There's also a subtle comic element in his movies, seeing his characters as holy fools who deny themselves all the sweet things in life to pursue an ideal. Sometimes after seeing his movies, I don't believe that the director really sees God as a wholly compassionate figure in the universe. I'm also reminded of this in Ingmar Bergman's sometimes bleak, sometimes funny and warm movies, from The Seventh Seal to Fanny and Alexander to Cries and Whispers. The fascination with the question God's existence & the unattainable certainty all human beings experience make Bresson & Bergman's movies pretty powerful for me, (though I also get fed up with their intellectual navel-gazing too. I can only watch their films occasionally).

I often think that directors like Carol Reed, John Ford (at his best, not when he trots out the all too familiar "scratch an Irish-Catholic and you'll find a scared pagan" stuff), F.W. Murnau and Frank Borzage tried to explore the underlying spiritual aspects of life throughout their careers, in their best work. They usually did it in less explicit ways than a Bresson & a Bergman, but it's there.

I'm curious about the opinion of those who are strongly commited Christians regarding the movie The Rapture. What did you think of it?
Last edited by moira finnie on May 8th, 2008, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

thanks for all the responses

i agree with Moira it's okay as long as we respect each others views. though i don't agree with the faith, it didn't stop me enjoying two movies with a Mormon theme The Wagonmaster and the more recent Georgia Rule

Michael Landon on mainstream televison used the Christian messege in several episodes of Little House On The Praire. my own favourite was Make Them Proud. Landon's Charles Ingles adopted son Albert accidently with some friends started a fire, which saw Mary Ingles son killed along with the wife of Johnathon Garvey.

filled with remorse Albert does a runner. though having found out the truth Charles and Johnathon go after the boy to bring him back home. it's Johnathon who finds him first and tells him to make those who were killed in the fire to Make Them Proud. i thought it was a terrific message about forgiveness. on the other hand, while some of Landon's Christian themes worked, others didn't.
Last edited by stuart.uk on May 8th, 2008, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I also like movies that show the potential down side of Christianity. in How Green Is My Valley, Arthur Shields Deacon Mr. Parry is downright bigoted and judgemental, as he publically shames the innocent Maureen O'Hara, accused of having an affair with the Minister and the poor girl, who found herself pregnant out of wedlock