Fourteen Hours

ken123

Fourteen Hours

Post by ken123 »

Among the actors appearring in tonights TCM lead off evening movie are Howard DaSilva & Jeff Cory, both of whom were soon be to blacklisted. Fourteen Hours was directed by Henry Hathaway, in the 1960's when the blacklisted actors weer getting back into films, one of the first films that Mr DaSilva appearred was Nevada Smith produced & directed by Mr. Hathaway. Later in the decade Jeffy Corey has a featured role, as Tom Cheney, in Mr Hathaway's True Grit the film that won an Oscar for John Wayne . I guess in spite of political differences Mr Hathaway, who I believe was a conservative, liked the two blacklistee's acting ability.

The film is ok, with an over the top performance by Agnes Moorhead ( the role IMHO reguires that type of performance) as the mother of Richard basehart. Ms Moorhead was in real life a republican, Richard Basehart was the voice for Richard Nixon's TV commercials in 1972, and Jan Sterling married to Hours star Paul Douglas later was the paramour of blacklistee Sam Wanamaker.
JackFavell

Re: Fourteen Hours

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! Did Jan step out on Paul with Sam? I have a real soft spot for Paul Douglas, I just love him... but I cannot picture him with Jan Sterling!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

It must be blacklistee night on TCM and not Grace Kelly ioght. High Noon was scripted by blacklistee Carl Foreman. Lloyd Brigdes, a member of the controversial and left wing Actors Lab, also was called before HUAC, but his tesimoney has never been released Roman Bohnen, "Candy" in Lewis Milestones Of Mice & Men, died on stage while performing in an Actors Lad production, he too was HUAC's target. Harry Morgan, also in Noon, was a member of the ultra leftist Group Theatre, which had close ties to the Communist Party USA. In 1972 Mr Morgan was a Nixon supporter. Howard Chamberlain, the hotel clerk, also drew HUAC attention. Mr Camberlain was Burt Lancaster's lawyer in Brute Force and a harassed bookkeeper for Thomas Gomez's number racket in Force of Evil
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It is a terrific film when it is dealing with Basehart and Douglas and everyone in the hotel. Why Hathaway feels the need to interrupt the tension with little asides of other people's part in the day is a puzzle.

Who would ever think Grace Kelly is unnecessary but she and, in another little side story, Jeffrey Hunter are in the way.
Douglas and Basehart are great. As mentioned Agnes Moorhead as the mother is slightly hysterical but who could blame her? Her son is ready to kill himself. Some of the psychology is interesting and watching the policy try to get to Basehart is interesting as they don't condemn him but seem determined to do some pretty dangerous stuff themselves.

More familiar faces than you could imagine are thrown about. There is practically no story but I think it is worth a look.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's absolutely worth a look! I like this psycho-thriller a lot. And I've finally stopped calling it MAN ON A LEDGE! The first time I saw the movie, I assumed that was the title. Then it got stuck!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's as good a title as "Fourteen Hours."

I saw it years ago and really liked it. As I saw the opening titles I thought wouldn't it be interesting if right after they had those city street shots they lifted the camera up and he was already there. It almost, to me, doesn't even need the two or three minutes with Frank Faylen bringing in breakfast. You'll find out all the important stuff anyway.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."