The Swimmer

mrsl

The Swimmer

Post by mrsl »

As far as I'm concerned, you can have your symbolism - give me a story to watch, thank you. I'm sorry to those who liked it, but I think this was one of the dumbest movies I ever saw. I kept staring out the window hoping something would make it move forward. I'm still not absolutely sure what happened. His wife left him because of his affair, I guess his daughters killed that womans' son while driving. Was the money owed symbolic of it being his fault his girls were so spoiled? Where did he come from dressed in his swimming trunks? The first group seemed to still be his friends, why would they not call for help for him?

If anyone figured this one out, please tell me :!: :!: :!:
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Re: The Swimmer

Post by mongoII »

Anne, I just went with the flow from pool to pool and enjoyed seeing some of the stars (Janice Rule, Kim Hunter, a young Joan Rivers) etc.
No doubt Burt Lancaster was a troubled man and disliked by most for past situations. In any event Mr. Lancaster was outstanding as the swimmer and almost always a joy to watch.
Joseph Goodheart
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

That's basically what I did too Mongo, but I guess I just don't have the correct imagination for a movie like The Swimmer which seems to be filmed in code. I enjoyed seeing those people you mentioned, but what were the underlying reasons for the neighbors attitude? No actual reason was offered, only a wide reference to his daughters being spoiled, and someone in Burt's family killed that woman's son. I wish someone like Lynn or Moira would give their opinions. I might be able to understand better.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Post by ken123 »

mrsl,
This film makes my head hurt. :(
klondike

Post by klondike »

I always felt this film meant to rip your heart in half, and stitch it just halfway back together with tiny little glimmers of hope.