Movies with a Halloween theme

cinemalover

Movies with a Halloween theme

Post by cinemalover »

Well, we're less than a week away from Halloween and I was trying to think of movies that have a Halloween theme, or have Halloween as an integral part of the plot. I have just watched The Nightmare Before Christmas which is an obvious one, but what others are out there? I'm not looking for films like the Halloween slasher series (even though former TCM Underground host Rob Zombie has done a remake of John Carpenter's "classic"). Any thoughts on films that revolve around Halloween in some way, but would preferably be films that could be enjoyed by the whole family?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi there-
There's always that glorious chestnut, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS which has that wonderful segment devoted to Halloween. It obviously doesn't constitute much more than, say 15 or 20 minutes of the entire film, but it certainly is vivid and memorable.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Arsenic and Old Lace takes place at Halloween, doesn't it? There must be at least a few others from the Classic period.

There's Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and in more recent times Hocus Pocus (with Bette Midler). Does I Married a Witch have any Halloween scenes in it? I can't remember offhand. One of the Addams Family movies ends with a Halloween celebration.

I don't recall any TV broadcasts of Halloween-type movies in the old days other than out-and-out horror flicks. I wonder if the studios were consciouly avoiding too many Halloween references, so as not to alienate any religious groups. It's only in more recent memory that Halloween has stopped being just for kids, and become a sort of national carnival day. (I'm going as Ina Balin.)
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I don't remember any Halloween scenes in "I Married a Witch," but I remember the film leads up to Election Day, which is always in early November, so there might be some Halloween references.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Chris:

It's not a Halloween movie per se, but Halloween is an integral part of the story throughout - Practical Magic (Sandra Bullock, Aidan Quinn & Nicole Kidman). It is a love story, but no torrid love scenes, and lots of spells and magic going on. Otherwise, I would say to look up Disney's live action movies for more ideas.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. Maybe I'll have to desperately track down a copy of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
Chris

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Speaking of children's TV specials, there was "Boo to You, Winnie the Pooh," which was enjoyable.

The PBS show "Arthur" has a few spooky episodes from time to time. My favorite is the one in which Fern tells a story that scares her classmates, who then call her the "queen of darkness." It begins with a flashback in which Fern appears as Mary Shelley telling "Frankenstein" to Byron and everybody. A nice sign that the filmmakers have seen "Bride of Frankenstein."
vallo

Post by vallo »

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial loved that they dressed him as a ghost (with a odd shaped head)
and
James and the Giant Peach
And when my son was younger, The Goosebumps Series

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You might enjoy the kid-friendly, genuinely haunting spookiness of Lady in White (1988). You can read more about it here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

How could I have forgotten the Halloween scenes in ET? I am a dunderhead! Please keep those cards and letters coming!
Chris

melwalton

halloqween

Post by melwalton »

Hi Chris.
Not sure this has a Halloween connection. But these posts put me in mind of the scene in 'Pennies From Heaven' where Louis Armstrong sang 'When the skeleton in the closet started to dance'. good topic.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

How old are your kids? My daughter is 13 and loves the Disney "Halloweentown" series, which as a bonus stars Debbie Reynolds as the feisty grandma witch. All three movies are available on DVD.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Mel,
Thanks very much for your suggestion.
Tracey,
My daughter is 15 and has proclaimed herself past the Disney stage for the most part. My son is 9 and I'm sure he would enjoy those. If they've been broadcast on the Disney Channel he may have seen them. That seems to be his favorite channel at the moment. Thanks.
Chris