Who Is Your Favorite Sci-Fi Movie Star?

cinemalover

Who Is Your Favorite Sci-Fi Movie Star?

Post by cinemalover »

I'm curious to know who you would consider to be your favorite star in sci-fi themed movies. You can go back to the likes of Buster Crabbe in the Flash Gordon Serials or a more recent kick-butt leader like Sigourney Weaver in the Alien Films. Is your cup of tea Governor Arnold as a Terminator or Brigtte Helm from the classsic Metroplolis?

I love sci-fi and have always had Alien Nation listed as one of my guilty pleasures. I think James Caan and Mandy Pantinkin are perfect in their roles in that film.

There are many sci-fantastic performances out there, which ones appeal to you?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Since you're so liberal, I have to say my favorite is Richard Dean Anderson of both Stargate SG1, and MacGuyver (which is also pretty sci-fi).

So few actors actually made more than one or two movies in the sci-fi genre, it is hard to say. Richard Carlson at least made Creature from the Black Lagoon and It Came from Outer Space, in addition to several TV episodes in the sci-fi genre.

AS for a favorite single performance, it would have to be be James Whitmore as the cop in THEM.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne said: "As for a favorite single performance, it would have to be be James Whitmore as the cop in THEM."

Dewey sez: Absolutely, positively!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My favorite SciFi character and heroine is Nausicaa.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on April 26th, 2008, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Favorite single performance: Kevin McCarthy in INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

Favorite "star"? I have a warm spot in my heart -- and a soft spot in my head -- for Whit Bissell. He's in some of my favorite films noir, but it is in sci-fi movies where he truly shines. [* = played a Dr. or Prof.]

LOST CONTINENT (1951)
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954)*
TARGET EARTH (1954)*
THE ATOMIC KID (1954)*
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)*
I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957)*
I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN (1957)*
MONSTER ON CAMPUS (1958)*
THE TIME MACHINE (1960)
CITY BENEATH THE SEA (1971) (TV Movie)*
SOYLENT GREEN (1973)
THE TIME MACHINE (1978) (TV Movie)

From 1966-67, Mr. Bissell was in 30 episodes of the TV show The Time Tunnel and, from 1955-1980, he was in 14 sci-fi episodes of various TV shows, including the classic The Trouble with Tribbles (1967) episode of Star Trek.

In 1994, Whit Bissell received the Life Career Award from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films, U.S.A.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry ChiO:

You are definitely correct. I was thinking of 'Starring' roles. Whit was always the professor, or someones husband, or whatever.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hmm, if you're talking a human star who appeared in SciFi films numerous times, I don't know if I have an answer for you. I'm not a huge SciFi fan, and as a result, my knowlege (and favorite choices for a good actor are somewhat limited.

I think Claude Rains does an incredible job in The Invisible Man (1933). His role is made more compilcated by the fact that we cannot see his face and he has only his voice (and sometimes body positioning when we can see him) to make his role believable to us.
classicmonster

Re: Favorite Sci-Fi Star

Post by classicmonster »

I would have to say Charlton Heston of the Original Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man and Soylent Green.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

You can add "The Manchurian Candidate" to the list of science fiction films that Whit Bissell appeared in. I think, to switch to TV, he was also in "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode of "Star Trek."