Okay, so what are your favorites and why?

Dewey1960

Favorite Sci-Fi Films

Post by Dewey1960 »

I mostly enjoy 1950s Cold War era science fiction, my two favorites being INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956) and THEM! (1954). Both are extremely frightening (especially when viewing for the first time!) and both benefit from excellent scripting, tight direction and performances that don't stretch the limits of credibility. Howard Hawks' THE THING is quite remarkable as well. I also enjoy the 1961 British film THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Growing up I really enjoyed The Time Machine. I could picture myself with the ability to travel through time and that's a pretty powerful concept. The portrayal of a rather bleak future was the first time I was confronted with the possibility that tomorrow may not be all sunshine and roses. Well acted and really interesting effects for the time. Strangely, it doesn't hold up as well for me today. But it will always be etched in my memory.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The original version of " The Invasion of the Body Snatchers ". I just like it. Dana Wynter and Carolyn Jones add to the enjoyment. :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

When you're talking SiFi, there are a limited number of things I like. Couple of reasons for this:

1.Many times plots are not original or new--they are just recycled.

2.Because of special effects and the like, sometimes the acting is not what it could or should be. There are so many films that want to blow you away with effects, but really don't have much to say.

Films I like (some of these were taken from an old thread I did at TCM):

Metropolis (1927)

The Grandaddy of 'em all. Parts of this film read like a pamphlet for the Communist party and Lang was not really happy with the result: "How can a man with everything have any understanding of a man with very little?"

Still it's an amazing film for it's time. Or any time!

The Invisible Man (1933)

James Whale never showed us so much by showing so little. Amazing studio trickery here that still looks good today. Claude Rains is superb, helping us identify with a man we can only hear.

The Invisible Ray (1936)

Contaminated Boris Karloff kills everything he touches while Bela Lugosi tries to save him--and those around him.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

No surprises here. Most people know this film. Strong performances and a great story make this a film you enjoy watching over and over.

One of those rare message films that actually works as entertainment.

Le Jette (1961)

One of the most unique films ever made, Le Jette is a movie composed of still images. With time travel as it's premise, the pictures give us a sense of time suspended in space.

The Seven faces of Dr. Lao (1964)

A great family film that adults can also enjoy. Features great stop motion animation and Tony Randall is superb playing 6 different characters.

"The whole world is a circus if you stop and think about it."

Slaughterhouse Five (1972)

I actually think this film works better than Vonnegut's book. It still incorporates his dark humor and the time sequences look great.

Soylent Green (1973)

It's made of people! Seriously though, despite a cheesy look, Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson make this film work and play well off one another.

This was Eddie G.'s last performance and his "going home" death scene is one of the most touching moments in all his work.

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

David Bowie plays an alien who has come to our planet seeking a water supply to save his own. Unfortunately, he is overcome by the same vices that plague our own society.

Brillantly shot by Nick Roeg, this is a very beautiful looking film, even if it dwells on the ugliness of our world.

Escape From New York (1981)

This is a nice little flick made on a small budget that works well because all the actors do a credible job. Proof that you don't have to have tons of special effects to make a good movie.

Time Bandits (1982)

One thing often forgotten in SiFi is humor. This film also works on deeper levels as well.

Blade Runner (1982)

Beautiful special effects with a great storyline. Harrison Ford may have hated playing Deckard, but it's hard to imagine anyone else in the role.

His world weary approach provides a centering effect for the film. Is Deckard a repilcant also? And where is the new version box set that was promised?!

Naussica of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Naussica is one of the greatest heroines in film history. She is strong, yet caring. Kind, but can kill. she is loyal to the point of death--who could not fall in love with her?

Robocop (1987)

I was surprised and pleased to see this movie play on TCM recently. It's best looked at as a satire, but there are many heartbreaking moments, and deeper points that the film aspires to as well.

It's also one of the few films of the 80's where the male and female leads are not romantically involved. They are just friends, and good ones at that.

Dark City (1998)

This film combines Noir and SiFi elements in a similar fashion to "Blade Runner". There are also elements of "Metropolis" and some scenes that remind me very much of the clown montages in "He Who Gets Slapped".

An interesting film that was made with great care. Shots look great and there is no computer animation.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on November 11th, 2007, 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've said this before on that other board but I don't mind repeating. My favorite all time sci-fi is 'Them'. I adore James Whitmore in this, and cry every time when he gets killed. Jack Burley, Marco, or Vitini or whatever found cause to tease me because I said the sound of crickets scared me for months afterward. I knew they were ants, but since ants don't make any sound, I deduced the director used the cricket sound to announce their arrival in certain scenes. Since I hadn't mentioned the lack of ants sound, Marco teased me that they were ants not crickets, but we finally came to an understanding, but I still owe him!

Anyway, except for Close Encounters, I watch 'Them' everytime it's on. I guess I'm still hoping Whitmore gets away. I loved the little science lesson about ants, and the huge holes which had been left by the A bomb tests, that were used for the gigantic ants' anthills. James Arness was as stiff as a board, but then he never lost that 'aloofness' even after all those years on Gunsmoke. Fess Parker was great as the poor guy who saw the ants but nobody believed him, and they kept him in the hospital to prevent him letting the secret out.

In all, I love the movie and hope they never get the screwy idea to remake it, thereby ruining it.

Anne
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

As a child of the 50s, I'm especially fond of sci-fi from that period, not the least because I was of an impressionable age and those films have stayed with me subconsciously all this time.

My number one favorite is The Incredible Shrinking Man, for the excellent performance by Grant Williams, and for the ultimately uplifting ending, so rare in any sci-fi, especially of the Cold War period.

I'd say my next favorite would be anything with Harryhausen effects in it, especially The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (it walks in NYC and meets its end at Coney Island in Brooklyn!), and 20,000,000 Miles from Earth, the one with the lizard man from Venus.

I also like the unfortunately named I Married a Monster from Outer Space, which is much better than its title would suggest.
classicmonster

Post by classicmonster »

The Orginal version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers - it is one of the most terrifying movies ever made.