Remake of "Day the Earth Stood Still"

MikeBSG

Remake of "Day the Earth Stood Still"

Post by MikeBSG »

Has anyone dared see the new version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"? Or have the dreadful reviews put everyone off?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I will definitely see it, but not until it gets to satellite. I have to admit I am a Keannu fan.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Some guys at my other forum are discussing it:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... c980c9dd40
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Mr Cutter and I went last evening to see this film. We are very glad we didn't spend any money (the screening was free - a perk of MrCutter's job) to see or rent this film.

It bears no resemblance to the original. The only thing that makes it watchable is Jaden Smith (really) and Jon Hamm and there isn't enough of Jon Hamm.

MrCutter calls Keanu Reeves the Kris Kristofferson of this generation because of his one note acting in this film.

The special effects are good but it's just another reason to blow stuff up. How any of these actors (including Kathy Bates trying to channel Donald Rumsfield) could say the majority of this dialog with a straight face is beyond me.

Almost as laughable was the audience afterwards. The audience was mainly twenty and thirty somethings who either not seen the original or had heard about the original. Those who had heard about the film proceeded to tell their companions about the original and mostly got the information wrong, including Gort's name. One young man called Klaatu, the keeper of Gork.

They, for the most part, seemed to enjoy the film while those of us of a certain age just shook our heads.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

There's the old saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it." That's very often true with orginals.

Words of wisdom from Klaatu:

[youtube][/youtube]
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It seems the words of lzcutter, especially her last sentence, and the old quote of silentscreen's pretty much illustrate the reaction to most (not all, but most), remakes, no matter what genre they may be.

Anne
[/i]
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************