Star Trek

bryce

Star Trek

Post by bryce »

Any doubts are unfounded. It deserves its 95% on rottentomatoes, its #62/250 on imdb and all of its various A+ and 5 star reviews. It really is that good, and in case there are any non-believers in our mist (cough), sci-fi that makes you think is back. I'll go on record as saying that there hasn't been a sci-fi film that presented such a unique take on the future since Blade Runner.

Oh, the acting is also amazing, which is important I suppose. The script is solid as well and, not only that, is patently sci-fi. What do you know, JJ Abrams finally did it (and, in the process, did something Gene Roddenberry never could). He made a summer blockbuster with loads of mass market appeal that's got heart and soul by the bucket-loads. I've hated his films until now, and I was white-knuckled the whole film literally from the get go (and was that not one of the best ways to open an 'action' film in at least a decade? Surely since The Matrix).

Well, I'll be seeing that one again. (It might not be the best prequel ever, but you'd be hard-pressed to get me to name a better one at 1:30am!)
mrsl

Re: Star Trek

Post by mrsl »

I have been waiting for this one for quite a while and have hoped it held up to most of the previous full length movies from both the original cast and TNG. I have heard it was very good and exciting. I may try to get to a theater to see it, and that's saying a lot for me. Having been a trekkie since the demise of the original show, I think my 40 years in the Star Trek experience will make me a good judge of this movies' merits. In fact, I visited the Startrek experience at the Hilton in Las Vegas twice, and attended two conventions. I always preferred it over the Star Wars series, but found Stargate sg-1 an extremely good substitute. Although the original was comedic in many ways, many of the ideas they played around with have now become reality, as have TNG. I love the Burger King commercial where the Klingons take the young man's B-K glasses and then his girlfriend, and wonder how many heads the inside joke went over with the dog's name.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************