Nightmare on Elm Street

mrsl

Nightmare on Elm Street

Post by mrsl »

Every time I see an announcement of a new movie coming out, I seem to say this, but my gosh. Can't they find any new stories to make movies out of? Now it's Nightmare on Elm Street which was the last of the good ones, before Halloween, and the others came out. Even though it was scary, it also had some laughs in it. I'm only talking about the original one, not Numbers 2, 3 and 4 or however many there were. I remember my two girls had dates, and my one son also had a date but I had rented it for our two friends and Mr L and me to watch, but it ended up with us adults sitting on the furniture and six teenagers all sprawled around the floor as we all watched it. The kids had all seen it, but they wanted to see it again. That was a fun night.

I just hope nobody ever gets the idea to remake Them, they'll ruin it, to me it is the perfect (Essential), sci-fi/horror movie.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Re: Nightmare on Elm Street

Post by MikeBSG »

The original "Nightmare on Elm Street" is very good. (Apart from the last scene, which sort of undercut everything had had happened before.)

I am still stunned that they remade "the Stepfather." The 1987 film is a good little horror movie/thriller, a smart updating of "Shadow of a Doubt", but did it ever make any money in the first place? Remaking it now strips the story of the political subtext (poking fun of the Reagan era) that gave the original some of its zing.

I'm waiting for them to remake "Terror Train." (What's a train?)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mike:

Good question at the end. :P

I mentioned it to the young fellow who drives me back and forth to therapy every other day. He is 25, my granddaughter is 26, and the guy across the hall is 35, and all three of them say they are sick of nothing but horror movies to go and see. Then I thought they were making fun of me when they all said, if it's not a horror movie, it's a comedy that is only funny for the first half, then it turns into drama. That was my complaint about a year ago after seeing The Family Stone. That was cute for the first 45 minutes, then all of a sudden it turned dark and broody. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm just saying that some young people like to see more than junk when they pay a small fortune to go out on a movie date.
Anne

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, when you think about it, there are no westerns any more, no musicals, the police genre has been surrendered to television.

The only movie theater in the county where I live seems to run comedies and horror movies most of the time. I always assumed that was a calculated pitch to the market. (There is a small college in the town next to the town with the theater.) But maybe it is just a lack of imagination.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

There is an occasional western or musical released, but because, as you say, the market is filled with teens and young twenty somethings, usually only horror is chosen to show, with a few comedies thrown in now and then. The problem is, young people are good spenders, it's true, but they eventually grow up, what was fun and exciting at 17 as a high schooler with no vital obligations, becomes foolish and silly at 27, with family and bills to pay. With the waiting to be older to marry, and the ability to keep the family size down to just 4 in most cases, I would think the teen age population is starting to shrink. That, alone seems like something movie producers should consider, and possibly try to please the other parts of the movie going public, like family, pre-teens, date-night for 30's and 40's, and group night for over 50's. That's a lot of people who are being forgotten.

But that's just my opinion.

Anne

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

MikeBSG wrote: April 12th, 2010, 8:37 am The original "Nightmare on Elm Street" is very good. (Apart from the last scene, which sort of undercut everything had had happened before.)
I love the last scene of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. Ronee Blakley deserved an Oscar nomination for her work in that scene alone.

Last edited by HoldenIsHere on February 25th, 2023, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET also featured Johnny Depp rocking a crop top.

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA would later pay homage to this look (including the headphones).

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

The original trailer for A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET ---- "a new masterpiece in fantasy terror"

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

More of Johnny Depp in a crop top from A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET because, well, one can never have too much of that . . .

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) was pretty good. Quite different for its time and very creepy.

It's sequels were stupid, though - except maybe for number 2 which still provokes some laughter. The other six? Burn 'em.