Omega Man

MikeBSG

Omega Man

Post by MikeBSG »

I just watched "The Omega Man" this week. From 1971, directed by Boris Sagal and starring Charlton Heston, I was pretty impressed by it. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I think I like it more than "Planet of the Apes."

It is based on Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend," a book I don't especially care for. I thought the screenplay took the best parts of Matheson's novel and went in a different direction. "The Omega Man" was certainly thought-provoking, as well as action-packed.

Has anyone seen "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price (1964), an earlier adaptation of Matheson's novel. Or what about the recent "I Am Legend" with will Smith?
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Omega Man

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MikeBSG wrote:Has anyone seen "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price (1964), an earlier adaptation of Matheson's novel. Or what about the recent "I Am Legend" with will Smith?
Seen 'em both. Last Man on Earth is definitely the better film, but as you noted, Omega Man has some interesting themes and philosophical ideas that were expanded from the book to create a more in depth look at society. Both are good movies, but if I had to choose one, I'd take Last Man on Earth.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I agree. "Last Man" is quite good. Great, spooky atmosphere, especially on the streets. The Heston film is fine too. But not as neatly constructed. I haven't read anything by Matheson. But there sure were some good movies and TV shows taken from his work.
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

So did the recent Will Smith version adhere closer to the book or did they also expand on certain elements just as the Heston film did?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MikeBSG wrote: Has anyone seen "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price (1964), an earlier adaptation of Matheson's novel. Or what about the recent "I Am Legend" with will Smith?
I seen "I Am Legend" with Will Smith back in 2007. Matter of fact, I actually saw it three times that year and I was in awe of how well its made. This is definitely one of Smith's better roles and I was stunned by the pace of the movie and most importantly the eerie spookiness that surrounds Smith's whereabouts with intense suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat every time I see this film. Many of my friends didn't care for it and matter of fact vowed to never watch it again. It's frustrates me every time I mention this film because I consider this a good movie to watch. I would love to see this film sometimes in the near future; and I would love to see Syfy Channel to show it sometimes with limited commercial interruptions.