What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Joe Macclesfield

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by Joe Macclesfield »

One of the delightful aspects of Bela's count (and his Armand Tesla) is the ease, even relish, he displays in social situations. Carradine is suave. Chaney, surly. Lederer, condescendingly scornful. Bela radiates both warmth and imperiousness in his portrayal.
"...Then as a bee, which among weeds doth fall,
Which seem sweet floures with lustre fresh and gay,
She lights on that, and this, and tasteth all,
But pleasd with none doth rise and sore away..."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Nice succinct summation of the various Counts, Joe. You could also add cold, aloof and imposing for Sir Christopher Lee.

But I never felt that Bela radiated warmth as Dracula. Maybe a touch of that quality in ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, but it's all an act anyway; he still has a fiendish purpose. It's the same with those who claim he also displays a subtle sympathy in his characterization. Never noticed it - outside of his one line in the original film: "To die. To be really dead. That must be glorious."

Actually the only vampire I ever felt sympathy for was BLACULA.
Joe Macclesfield

Christopher Lee certainly displays that cold, aloof, and imposing quality in his portrayal that you mention W.G. The first Hammer Dracula was the best, in my estimation; never cared much for the sequels. Never seen BLACULA. I might catch it online.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I also read somewhere that Dean Martin's apparent fondness for alcoholic liquid refreshment was a bit of a pose.

But his taste for tobacco was clearly genuine. Dean was my favorite singer.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Mine, too, R.R. Actually Dino and Al Martino, with whom I had coffee in Las Vegas. Sweetheart of a guy.

BLACULA is actually quite a good film with some effective scares. And William Marshall is a commanding presence who even puts Chris Lee to shame. And he's pretty darn frightening, too. I'd like you to check it out to see what you think.

You know, I grew up with Hammer films (often played a Saturday double bill at our Downtown Theatre so that was always something to look forward to and get you through a school week) so I'm pretty tolerant of the Frankenstein and Dracula sequels - for the latter, up until SCARS OF DRACULA. The updated versions and that LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES sounded the death knoll for Hammer as far as I was concerned. But the other earlier ones . . . good memories.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My first Hammer experience was a downtown double. CURSE OF FRANK and HORROR OF DRAC! That's a combo that's hard to beat!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:My first Hammer experience was a downtown double. CURSE OF FRANK and HORROR OF DRAC! That's a combo that's hard to beat!
I couldn't agree with you more! :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy wrote:
BLACULA is actually quite a good film with some effective scares. And William Marshall is a commanding presence who even puts Chris Lee to shame. And he's pretty darn frightening, too. I'd like you to check it out to see what you think.

Very True ... I was stunned when i saw this for the first time!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

During this era, I also saw THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN. And while it doesn't get a lot of acclaim, my friends and I so enjoyed DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS! A clever (at least, if you're 12) little anthology film. To this day, I remember the fun we had!
Joe Macclesfield

Saw LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES, with my dad, at the Majestic Picture House (the only majestic thing about the experience), when it came out. A pitiful waste of Peter Cushing's talent. When the vampires came jogging into view, along a dirt road--everyone broke-up! DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS is a natty little picture.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I rather enjoyed those Amicus multi-story films; my particular favorite is TALES FROM THE CRYPT, which I sat through three times during a Saturday matinee back in '72. Sadly, a lot of Peter Cushing's later films misused his talents. Some, like LAND OF THE MINOTAUR, are just painful to sit through.
Joe Macclesfield

TORTURE GARDEN wasn't bad. A couple of the yarns were a bit weak; the best probably being the one about the collector of Edgar Allan Poe. Interestingly, the American expert on Poe is played by Peter Cushing; the English collector of Poe, by Jack Palance. W.G., I agree about TALES FROM THE CRYPT. The best yarn? For my money, the one featuring Nigel Patrick and Patrick Magee (both ace performers).
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Been a long while since I last saw TORTURE GARDEN but I think it's coming up this month on TCM with another Amicus film omnibus: Might be THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD. Anyhoo, I plan to watch both for a fresh viewing. Sometimes I think horror stories play better in this abbreviated format. Yes, I like the segment you mention from TALES FROM THE CRYPT, but my nod would have to go to the Cushing episode. Definitely one of Peter's most sympathetic characters. I remember how in the theatre how the audience screamed when his walking corpse bared his teeth before throttling the vile villain, then cheered when he got his comeuppance. A fine film.
Joe Macclesfield

Yes, that's the Mr. Grimsdyke episode. I'd forgotten they were both in the same anthology! P.S. One of the best movie put-downs was delivered by Peter Cushing, and occurs in FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED (1969). (I relate from memory) The baron discovers two of his fellow hotel guests, sniggering at a newspaper cartoon (a caricature of the baron and his colleague, Dr. Brandt). I can't recall the lines (!), but nobody beats Peter when it comes to a glacial "tearing-off.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

That's funny, Joe, I think I know the Cushing put-down line you're talking about (must have made an impression): "Had man not been given to invention and experiment, then tonight, sir, you would have eaten your dinner in a cave. You would've strewn the bones about the floor then wiped your fingers on a coat of animal skin. In fact, your lapels do look a bit greasy. Good night."

He also has a funny put-down line in THE MUMMY when, as John Banning, he remarks on the strong physical resemblance between his wife and the dead Egyptian princess, adding that "Princess Ananka was considered the most beautiful woman in the world." His wife smiles demurely but is obviously pleased by her husband's comment, only to have Cushing (jokingly) deflate her when he says: "Of course the world was a much smaller place then."

Cushing could convincingly display a vain arrogance in many of his roles, but he was a dear, sweet, kindly gentle man.