What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Rita Hayworth

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

See SVENGOOLIE for my write-up

Saw James Whale's Masterpiece ... Invisible Man starring Claude Rains on ME-TV last night.

Trailer of this 1933 Movie ...

[youtube][/youtube]
DavidLanceRoten

Post by DavidLanceRoten »

The last two I've seen in this genre are The Alligator People and Berserk. I guess Berserk would be the horror category. Maybe horror/thriller. Neither would make my list of great movies by a longshot, but The Alligator People had that certain popcorn movie / Saturday afternoon movie type of charm that I like. Standard, for the most part, B-Movie 50's formula but I've seen much worse. Berserk, with Joan Crawford. Umm...Hmm. LOL. Without divulging any spoilers for those who haven't seen it, it's a tough one for me to really grade. I don't think it's as bad as many make it out out to be, but it has enough holes to leave a viewer thinking too much. I could only recommend it for Joan Crawford fans who are looking to watch everything she ever starred in :wink:
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The Alligator People had that certain popcorn movie / Saturday afternoon movie type of charm

You bet it does! You could do a lot worse than this entertaining thriller. When I saw it for the first time about ten years ago, I thought, "How on Earth did I miss this as a child?" I would have loved it!
DavidLanceRoten

RedRiver wrote:The Alligator People had that certain popcorn movie / Saturday afternoon movie type of charm

You bet it does! You could do a lot worse than this entertaining thriller. When I saw it for the first time about ten years ago, I thought, "How on Earth did I miss this as a child?" I would have loved it!

I know right? Same here. I was thinking how did I miss THIS when I used to rent every horror movie possible back in the late 80's / early 90's. Slipped through the cracks :oops:
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

My favorite laugh line comes courtesy of Mr. Chaney at the 1-minute mark:

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I got to see this movie ... The Alligator People someday! ... I have never seen it before!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

My son and I saw "Captain America The Winter Soldier" (2014) today.

I really liked it. It took a little while to get going, but I have to say that it completely won me over by the end. The cast is terrific, and it was fun to see Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Redford together. There are plenty of action sequences, and the movie takes the time and trouble to differentiate between them all, so it never becomes repetitious by the end.

Some people are claiming it is the best Marvel movie yet. I wouldn't go that far, but I think it is better than "Iron Man 3" and "Thor the Dark World."

This movie has a different feel than "Captain America the First Avenger." The new movie is less romantic and less tragic, but it still has heart, and the relationship between Cap and the Winter Soldier is surprisingly well-handled and given a depth I didn't expect.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MikeBSG wrote:My son and I saw "Captain America The Winter Soldier" (2014) today.

I really liked it. It took a little while to get going, but I have to say that it completely won me over by the end. The cast is terrific, and it was fun to see Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Redford together. There are plenty of action sequences, and the movie takes the time and trouble to differentiate between them all, so it never becomes repetitious by the end.

Some people are claiming it is the best Marvel movie yet. I wouldn't go that far, but I think it is better than "Iron Man 3" and "Thor the Dark World."

This movie has a different feel than "Captain America the First Avenger." The new movie is less romantic and less tragic, but it still has heart, and the relationship between Cap and the Winter Soldier is surprisingly well-handled and given a depth I didn't expect.

I will be seeing it this Wednesday MikeBSG ... and thanks for your report here.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The first Captain America movie was pretty good. I like the actor who plays Cap. But I'm so tired of super hero movies I could scream. This from a huge comic book fan in childhood!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

My son and I saw "Amazing-Spider Man 2" on Saturday.

While it isn't a bad movie, it was just "weightless" and lacking in impact. We thought it was a step down from the Andrew Garfield Spiderman movie from a couple years ago.

The movie is badly structured. Too much time is spent worrying about Peter Parker's parents. NOT Uncle Ben and Aunt May, but his parents. I mean, who cares? They had decades of Spiderman comics before they even addressed the "mystery" of Peter's parents. It reminded me how "Man of Steel" was obsessed with Krypton.

For much of the movie, it looks as if Electro is going to be the main villain. He is introduced as this nebbishy guy, then he becomes Electro. The problem is that he starts out as a character played by an actor, and then when he becomes Electro, he becomes more of a special effect, and the issues introduced with the character get overshadowed.

You could argue that the Green Goblin is the real main villain of this film. This is also badly handled. This rich kid with a hereditary disease injects himself with this serum that drives him crazy, so he just finds this Green Goblin armor, gets inside it and immediately knows how to use all the Goblin's special tools and weaponry. In what is probably less than an hour. Heck, people can't figure out their new phones in that amount of time, let alone some flying scooter with no obvious means of steering the damn thing.

Another miscalculation by the filmmaker was that Spiderman occasionally has visions of Gwen Stacey's deceased father. It turns out, these visions are omens of an impending catastrophe. However, they play as if Spiderman is cracking up by seeing people who aren't there.

It isn't a bad movie, but it made "Captain America Winter Soldier" and even "Thor the Dark World" look much, much better.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Mike, as a comic book fan, I find your remarks fascinating. The Spidey films are, by far, my favorites of the genre. The other one with young Garfield is long and complex, but not bad. The added length allowed them to tell the human story as well as the adventure. It sounds like that's the goal with this one as well.

Too much time is spent worrying about Peter Parker's parents

We didn't worry about that in the 60s. Who needs it now?

He is introduced as this nebbishy guy, then he becomes Electro

I might like that. It's good to give the villain a REAL character!

This rich kid with a hereditary disease

Is that Harry Osborne, the son of Green Goblin? Or somebody else? I liked smoky-voiced Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy. I assume she's back! I keep hoping to see The Vulture make it to the screen. That's a sinister bad-guy!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Speaking of Spiderman, I still feel that Tobey Maguire is far more superior than Andrew Garfield. That's my own humble opinion. I do like the last movie of Spiderman of which I saw it Saturday Night in Portland, Oregon.
DavidLanceRoten

Hangover Square count? :D . Pretty cool Cregar/Sanders movie. I prefer The Lodger but this was a pretty good flick in it's own right.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I love "Hangover Square." I love the way there is a flame in nearly every scene of the movie.

It is, I guess, one of those movies that you could say is a horror film or you could say is a film noir. It does have a Jekyll/Hyde type plot, and the music is by Bernard Herrmann, who wrote the music for "Psycho."

The director, John Brahm, had an unlucky career in features, but he directed some great horror TV episodes, such as "The New Exhibit" for Twilight Zone, "The Cheaters" for Thriller, and "The Belero Shield" for The Outer Limits.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

THE APPARITION

Released in 2012, and filmed by Warner Bros, is the only familiar thing about it.

CAST: Ashley Greene - Sebastian Stan - Tom Fulton - Julianna Guill - Luke Pasqualino - Rich Gomez. Who are these people? I truly have never seen any one of them before or since.

Weird events, mold, scientific experiments, and all sorts of unusual behavior, and I have to admit that I'm glad I watched on Saturday late morning in the broad day light. If it had been dark outside, and the lights were dim, I probably would have been more likely to cover my eyes more than I did. It's playing on HBO I believe, and a fairly good choice for a family. scary movie night.

DARK SKIES

I call this sci-fi because it deals with "little grey men" who abduct children, but never return them. It does have it's scary spots and you do see the shadows of the little men,

This one stars Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton and some little grey men. It was just released last year in 2013 and is fairly scary in it's own right and again not a bad choice for family scary movie night. I can't say much because it would give a lot away.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************