What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Rita Hayworth

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

GODZILLA 2014

I just saw this movie today with a bunch of friends today with lunch to boot and I was stunned by the EPICNESS of this sheer horror magnitude and I was surprised of the HUMAN EMOTION that really captured the SOUL of this movie as well. I was stunned by the special effect, the battle at the end, and most of all this movie was way better than the GODZILLA movie that starred Matthew Broderick back in 1998. Well deserving storyline, captured the grandeur, and it's truly delivered as its should. The acting was genuine and it's was a very fast paced movie that really keeps you on the edge of your seat. Worthy of a 3 star rating that the critics gave it for this movie alone. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

The length of this movie (123 minutes) is just right for this movie. Just Perfect!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If I want to see a raging monster destroy everything in its path, I'll call my brother!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:If I want to see a raging monster destroy everything in its path, I'll call my brother!
:lol:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

THE LAND UNKNOWN ... Review of this SCI/FI HORROR movie is found on SVENGOOLIE thread ... :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can't get enough of the Val Lewton suspense classics. I won't get into the whole Lewton canon; much has been said about that already. But last night, my neighbor had a copy of the disturbing and literate BEDLAM. I was enthralled by that chilling nightmare the first time I watched it. I've seen it several times, and it keeps getting better. It's dramatic, gothic and frightening.

Mr. Karloff is the abusive director of an 18th century "Lunatic Asylum," St. Mary's of Bethlehem, or "Bedlam," as the locals call it. A Quaker and a free spirited actress become concerned with conditions at the facility. The girl investigates, and winds up herself committed. The horrors she witnesses are depicted in harrowing "Lewtonography"! I rarely describe The Look of a Lewton horror film. It's almost impossible! But to see it is truly impressive. And terrifying!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I just had the pleasure of seeing Rodan (making a guest appearance) and a loincloth-clad Cesare Danova (be still my heart, although I do prefer him in more gentlemanly duds) in the cheapjack VALLEY OF THE DRAGONS this afternoon. Lots of poor iguanas getting the you-know-what knocked out of them; shameless Morlock ripoffs; plastic Halloween spider; underwater cheesecake with Joan Staley; Hal Roach's ONE MILLION, B.C. stock footage that comprises most of the movie (which is no doubt why VOTD is filmed in chintzy black & white, which also negates any colorfully charming, quaintly lush (or lushly quaint) Victorian-era sci-fi fantasy ambiance) Jules Verne's name is immediately dropped into the opening narration in an obvious and desperate attempt to impart "high-class" literary credibility a la George Pal's THE TIME MACHINE (but where is Rod Taylor when you need him?) Suave "Frenchman" Cesare and his romantic rival, hearty Irishman Sean McClory, survive comet catastrophe, prehistoric "monsters", tribal aggression, and naturally are able to immediately secure Stone Age female companionship. It helps that the girls are eminently presentable thanks to '60's hair and make-up, and that the rest of their men are all Murvyn Vye lookalikes.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

survive comet catastrophe, prehistoric "monsters", tribal aggression, and naturally are able to immediately secure Stone Age female companionship.

So, it's set in a singles bar?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

RedRiver wrote:survive comet catastrophe, prehistoric "monsters", tribal aggression, and naturally are able to immediately secure Stone Age female companionship.

So, it's set in a singles bar?

lol, yes.

Also any Boca Raton Publix supermarket.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

So...a Jim Jarmusch film about vampires? Seriously? Something called ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE. I haven't seen it, but the video is available!
Joe Macclesfield

Post by Joe Macclesfield »

RR, Re: BEDLAM; It's long been my favourite of the Val Lewton pictures. I love the 18th Century, and the works of the artists who depicted it (not least Canaletto, who lived and worked in London between 1745-1754). Despite it's unsavoury aspects, it remains one of the finest evocations of 18th Century London on film. It's also (next to TARGETS) my favourite Karloff performance. What else? Billy House; perfect as Lord Mortimer. Yorkshire's Skelton Knaggs (as "Barney"). Scots actor Richard Fraser, as the quaker, "Hannay"; dull as porridge (or perhaps buttered toast) some might say, but O.K. with me. The music, by Roy Webb, who provides a delightful (and knowledgeable) pastiche of Barock music based (to my ears) on the symphonies of William Boyce). And--the lovely Anna Lee! Hannay: "Are we lovers, that you thee and thou me?"
"...Then as a bee, which among weeds doth fall,
Which seem sweet floures with lustre fresh and gay,
She lights on that, and this, and tasteth all,
But pleasd with none doth rise and sore away..."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'm a fan of BEDLAM, too, Joe, though I'd give the nod to THE BODY SNATCHER (which I'd have to say is my all-time favorite horror film). Karloff and the great, underrated Henry Daniell both should have received Oscar consideration IMHO. Their acting dual is what acting is really all about. Two pros at the top of their game. Sadly, Bela is pretty much wasted but there is poignancy in his final scene with Karloff. And to this day I find myself quoting Bela's line "I don't understand the song" when I'm unsure about something. Just a quirk.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Karloff is one of those guys that never gives a bad performance & while I love Bedlam & The Body Snatcher, my fave Lewton/Karloff combo would be Isle of the Dead. He's just a little more subtle in the role & the film builds slowly to the climax, where we are uncertain of everything & everyone around us.

[youtube][/youtube]
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I think it's safe to say that in his three Lewton chillers Karloff really got the chance to show off his acting talent. Each film showcased a different villainous side of this great performer.
Joe Macclesfield

Forgot to mention THE BODY SNATCHER. It is a belter! The B.B.C. used to show a cut version--the bit were Karloff's body tumbles out of it's shroud was censored (the imagination boggles!). I read somewhere (can't recall where) that Henry Daniell was every bit as aloof, in real life, as some of the characters he played. Fine actor though (Basil Rathbone's favourite Moriarty). Oh, and there's that great Karloff line: "Why Toddy, come and have a drink with the commonality."
Joe Macclesfield

Mr. Arkadin, ISLE OF THE DEAD; it's the only one of the Val Lewton chillers that I've not seen. I Shall remedy that situation--soon. W.G., I enjoyed THE HAUNTED STRANGLER. While we're on about Boris: I was intrigued, some time back, to learn that he was RKO's first choice for BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE. Can't quite see (or hear) him in that part!