What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Joe Macclesfield

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by Joe Macclesfield »

Rita Hayworth wrote: "Are you talking about the 1952 movie - The Ghost Ship?" No Erik, I should have been a little more specific. I was referring to the Val Lewton production of 1943. It stars Richard Dix.
"...Then as a bee, which among weeds doth fall,
Which seem sweet floures with lustre fresh and gay,
She lights on that, and this, and tasteth all,
But pleasd with none doth rise and sore away..."
Joe Macclesfield

THE WOLF MAN (1941), on DVD, twice. First: to catch Tom Weaver's commentary. Second: to enjoy the film. Mr. Weaver speaks pretty quickly; but he does get through a lot in the 70 minute running time. One thing I learned from Tom's commentary, was the fact that Jack Pierce had not retired (as I had imagined). After all the years of ingenuity, hard work, and dedication to his craft, Universal rewarded him--by firing him!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hollywood studios were notorious for their "loyalty" ethics. Universal did the same to Abbott & Costello after the team's films saved the studio from bankruptcy back in the 40s. Of course the IRS did virtually the same to Bud and Lou to "reward" them for the millions of dollars of war bonds the duo sold during WWII.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE WOLFMAN gets better with age. It's a nearly perfect horror film!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Joe Macclesfield wrote:Rita Hayworth wrote: "Are you talking about the 1952 movie - The Ghost Ship?" No Erik, I should have been a little more specific. I was referring to the Val Lewton production of 1943. It stars Richard Dix.

Thanks Joe ... appreciate this information here! :)
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

RedRiver wrote:THE WOLFMAN gets better with age. It's a nearly perfect horror film!
I also love THE WOLF MAN, but I'd hardly consider it a "perfect" horror film, R.R. In fact, I'd probably consider it the most flawed out of all the Universal classic genre offerings. So many obvious inconsistencies, such as Larry's first transformation, where he goes from clad only in an undershirt to next prowling the foggy woods fully dressed. The mind boggles at the thought of the wolfman's clawed and hirsute hands putting on his clothing and then buttoning up his shirt. This among other scenes in the 70-minute that cause the astute viewer pause.

Of course Universal was expert at such gaffes: THE INVISIBLE MAN's final scene where shoe - not foot- prints are visible in the snow. And that great scene in CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON where a telephone poll is clearly visible in the travels through the depths of the Amazon.

Perhaps I doth protest too much. Then again, maybe it's half the fun of watching these movies.
Joe Macclesfield

THE WOLF MAN DVD contains a documentary about the making of the film, entitled: MONSTER by MOONLIGHT. In Curt Siodmak's original treatment, the wolf man is an American engineer named Larry Gill, employed to install a new telescope at Talbot Castle. With wry humour, Siodmak recalls his dismay at the changes made to his original draft and the "absurd" casting of Chaney Jr. as "the son of an English lord"(!)
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I often have a difficult enough time picturing Lon Jr. as Lon Sr.'s son, let alone accepting him as Claude Rains's cinematic offspring.
Joe Macclesfield

Another touch from Curt Siodmak's original draft, to be jettisoned in the finished picture, was the idea that there be no onscreen transformations. That it would have been left to the imagination of the audience as to whether, or not, Larry Gill actually became a werewolf. To me (at any rate) that would've made a better picture.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

. . . Which soon was to happen with Lewton's CAT PEOPLE.
Joe Macclesfield

Are the Lewton movies available in a single package?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, Joe. You can purchase the whole Lewton collection:

Or:

Or there are also double features.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Western Guy wrote:So many obvious inconsistencies, such as Larry's first transformation, where he goes from clad only in an undershirt to next prowling the foggy woods fully dressed.
It works for comic book characters! The Hulk goes from street clothes to purple pants, every time. Thor taps his magic cane and not only becomes a Norse god, but fully costumed! By "perfect," I meant in terms of story, structure and execution. Everything happens at just the right time, before the scene that preceded it runs out of fuel. Every story element is abundantly satisfying. It's not Universal's best scare fare, but it makes the top five without working up a howl!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Oh, don't get me wrong, R.R. I'm an admirer of THE WOLF MAN, too. But as a nagging perfectionist I take note of those things and really have to pile on my suspension of disbelief. But then again, the concept of a man turning into a werewolf . . . well, I shouldn't be too nitpicky.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It happens all the time. Don't you read The Enquirer?