Twins of Evil (1971)

Mr. Arkadin

Twins of Evil (1971)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A thoughtful analysis of Hammer's 1971 TWINS OF EVIL, just in time for the Halloween season:

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_b ... -evil.html
MikeBSG

Re: Twins of Evil (1971)

Post by MikeBSG »

"The Vampire Lovers," the first in Hammer's 'sex vampire' trilogy is a terrific film.

"Twins of Evil" is okay, largely because of Peter Cushing's performance, although I admit there is a lot of interesting material here.

I guess my favorite late Hammer, non-Christopher Lee vampire film, other than "Vampire Lovers," is "Vampire Circus."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I would agree, Vampire Lovers is probably the best of the trilogy, while this one is a close second for me. Hands of the Ripper, Countess Dracula, Captain Kronos, Dr.Jekyll & Sister Hyde, To the Devil a Daughter, and Fear in the Night are other late Hammers' I enjoy. Cushing is great in Twins, but it's all the deeper themes that really interest me. While the idea of vampires has always carried sexual connotations (which Hammer definitely exploits), most modern works simply push this angle to the exclusion of the spiritual aspects, which go hand in hand.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm probably going to have to look at a bastardized version of this movie on YouTube. Won't read the write-up until then. Thanxx for posting the info you do on this thread.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Trailer:

[youtube][/youtube]

Part 1 of 9:

[youtube][/youtube]
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Of Hammer's movies of the Seventies, I think "The Vampires Lovers," "Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde" and "Demons of the Mind" are among the best Hammer ever made.

I'd put "Twins of Evil," "Vampire Circus," and "Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell" at a lower level, but they are still good and worth watching.

I've never warmed to "Captain Kronos." The structure of the film, which feels more like a mystery than a horror film, always rubs me the wrong way. (I have the same reaction to Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow," which might owe a lot to "Captain Kronos.")

The only time I saw "Hands of the Ripper" was on ABC TV back in the Seventies. I'm sure it was badly chopped up and probably had some TV-friendly scenes edited in to make up the running time. I know a lot of people think "Hands of the Ripper" is a great Hammer film, and I probably should give it a second chance.