Invasion of the Body Snatchers

ken123

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Post by ken123 »

This past weekend saw the release of the fourth version of the Sci - Fi classis " THe Invasion of the Body Snatchers ", starring Nicole Kidman. So far it has been a box - office bomb. Are there any comments on this film, earlier versons, remakes in general, or Nicole. :roll:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I am a huge fan of the 1956 Don siegel film. I think it is one of the best movies of the Fifties and a textbook example of how to make a horror film, starting with "normal" and then adding weird incidents.

I saw the 1978 version when it was in "second run," and it never really appealed to me. In fact, I keep forgetting that it exists. I love "The Right Stuff" and "Unbearable Lightness of Being," but this Phil Kaufman film just doesn't work for me.

I've not seen the 90s version or the new one. The newest version apparently was troubled, with the "Matrix" directors brought in to punch up the movie.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The original 1956 version has been, since I first saw it as a kid, my favorite movie of all time. My viewings of it now are up in the triple digits. I never tire of it. For sheer undiluted terror, it is at the top of the 1950s science fiction list. But, of course, it's much more than that. Great on every level.
That said, I'm a big fan of the 1978 Phil Kaufman version. Terrific visuals, excellent suspense, Denny Zeitlin's awesome score and a wonderfully satirical screenplay. I even enjoy Abel Ferrara's 1994 version; spooky and weird and very worthwhile. I look forward to this new version. Check out the TRAILER PARK thread on these boards for trailers to all four versions!
benwhowell

"They're here already! You're next, you're next..."

Post by benwhowell »

I do prefer the original. It is a horror/sci fi masterpiece of paranoid suspense set in a tranquil small town during the sensational Commie-phobic '50's.
Kaufman's remake takes place 20 years later in a major city. (Love the San Francisco locations.) The paranoid suspense is still there...during a time when people were struggling to "find" themselves...and a great place to eat out. It's very interesting that Bennell (great performance from Donald Sutherland) is now a health inspector-respected by colleagues yet feared/hated by restaurant owners.
I really enjoyed Veronica Cartwright in this. She has had a great (life-long) career playing paranoid characters-from "The Birds" and "The Children's Hour" to "Alien" and TV's "The X Files." And also brief (but effective) performances on a recent ill fated TV show called (what else?) "Invasion." Nobody does it better.
And the cameos from Kevin McCarthy and Robert Duvall!
Ferrara's "Body Snatchers" moves our story to a (early '90's) military base and our lead is now an angst-ridden teenage girl.
I'm sure I'll rent "The Invasion" when it's released on DVD.
I'm a Nicole Kidman fan. Say what you will, but she's proved she can do "paranoid-"see "The Others."
Also-I was thrilled to see Veronica Cartwright in the trailer!
Moraldo Rubini

Re: "They're here already! You're next, you're next...&

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

benwhowell wrote:Kaufman's remake takes place 20 years later in a major city. (Love the San Francisco locations.) The paranoid suspense is still there...during a time when people were struggling to "find" themselves...and a great place to eat out. It's very interesting that Bennell (great performance from Donald Sutherland) is now a health inspector-respected by colleagues yet feared/hated by restaurant owners.
I really enjoyed Veronica Cartwright in this. ... And the cameos from Kevin McCarthy and Robert Duvall!
I loved the Kauffman "remake", though I understand that he thought of it as a sequel to the late 1950's classic. In his mind Kevin McCarthy's small town is lost to the aliens and have spread to the City. McCarthy's cameo just shows the continuation of his journey to spread the word...
benwhowell

Location, location, location...

Post by benwhowell »

I was just checking out the locations used for the original-to see why it took those "aliens" 20 years to get to San Francisco! :wink:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049366/locations
I wonder if there's an "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" tour? Can't think of a better way to spend Halloween.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I was surprised to see mention of a 1994 version of 'Invasion'. I have never heard of it, so I looked it up on imdB and apparently they never have either. Is it the same name? They only list the 1956, 1978 and 2007.

My impression of Nicole Kidman is a little more jaded than johnm's so I wouldn't bother to go out of my way to see it, but when it comes on HBO, I'll probably give it a whirl. No way can it top the original though.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne saud: "I was surprised to see mention of a 1994 version of 'Invasion'. I have never heard of it, so I looked it up on imdB and apparently they never have either. Is it the same name? They only list the 1956, 1978 and 2007."

Look it up under its actual release title, "Body Snatchers." It starred Gabrielle Anwar, Forest Whitaker and Meg Tilly. Directed by maverick filmmaker Abel Ferrara ("King of New York," "Bad Lieutenant"). Visually exciting, but dramatically less satisfying than Siegel's or Kaufman's versions, it is nonetheless a worthy entry in the "Body Snatchers Sweepstakes." It received a very scant theatrical release by Warner Bros back in '94 before going almost straight to home video. It should have fared better.
And yes, you're right, nothing will ever top the original--one of the greatest films ever made.