Movie trivia?

MilesArcher

Re: Movie trivia?

Post by MilesArcher »

Raymond Chandler's classic mystery "Farewell My Lovely" was filmed as "Murder My Sweet" with Dick Powell and later with the original title with Robert
Mitchum. However, before either of those movies were made, another version, a "B" movie version, was made. It was shown on TCM recently. What
was the name of the movie and who was the star?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

The Falcon Takes Over (AKA The Falcon Steps Out)

This chilling Southern Gothic thriller about a killer pursuing two children was the only movie directed by the British actor.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

MilesArcher wrote: December 20th, 2022, 12:50 pm Raymond Chandler's classic mystery "Farewell My Lovely" was filmed as "Murder My Sweet" with Dick Powell and later with the original title with Robert
Mitchum. However, before either of those movies were made, another version, a "B" movie version, was made. It was shown on TCM recently. What
Don't forget this question. The movie was shown on TCM last Saturday, Dec. 17th.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

MilesArcher wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:39 am Don't forget this question. The movie was shown on TCM last Saturday, Dec. 17th.
Sorry! George Sanders was "Gay Lawrence" (Really?) AKA "The Falcon."

As you undoubtedly know, Gay Lawrence (Boy, with a name like that, I bet he hadda lotta fights in school!) was replaced by his sibling Tom Lawrence (portrayed by Sanders' real-life brother Tom Conway) in The Falcon's Brother.

Next: This chilling Southern Gothic thriller about a killer pursuing two children was the only movie directed by the British actor.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

To make this easier to understand, the answer is George Sanders in The Falcon Takes Over.
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

Thank you, Kay. I apologize for not seeing Millstone's initial response to my question about "The Falcon Takes Over". It showed up in blue letters
against a blue-grey background and I didn't notice it. Now, I think that Millstone's latest question refers to "The Night Of The Hunter", which starred
Robert Mitchum and was directed by Charles Laughton.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

MilesArcher wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 1:40 am . . . Now, I think that Millstone's latest question refers to "The Night Of The Hunter", which starred Robert Mitchum and was directed by Charles Laughton.
Correct, MilesArcher!

Your turn!
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

One of the children in "The Night Of The Hunter" had a sister who was a regular on a TV series in the fifties.
Who was she and what show was she on?
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lauren Chapin was the sister of Billy Chapin (who was Joe in THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER).
She played Kathy ("Kitten") Anderson on the TV series FATHER KNOWS BEST.

ElCid

Post by ElCid »

MilesArcher wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:39 am
MilesArcher wrote: December 20th, 2022, 12:50 pm Raymond Chandler's classic mystery "Farewell My Lovely" was filmed as "Murder My Sweet" with Dick Powell and later with the original title with Robert
Don't forget this question. The movie was shown on TCM last Saturday, Dec. 17th.
Actually I had noted this earlier on another thread re: TCM presentations. It is interesting to compare The Falcon Takes Over, Farewell My Lovely with Robert Mitchum and Murder My Sweet with Dick Powell.
I had already seen Murder My Sweet and Farewell My Lovely before I saw the Falcon version. When I saw the Falcon one it kept reminding me of something so I looked it up.
Don't know if it will continue after the holidays, but TCM was showing Falcon movies on Saturday mornings.

As for his name, I always assumed Gay was short for Gaylord or something. Sanders made a few Falcon movies after he did The Saint series, but decided it was time to move on. He actually did get his real-life brother into the role.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 25th, 2022, 3:38 pm . . . As for his name, I always assumed Gay was short for Gaylord or something . . .
After I posted my earlier response, I also thought, "I suppose Gay is an abbreviation of Gaylord."

Nope!

According to Wikipedia and The New Thrilling Detective Web Site, there were two detectives named "The Falcon." The character portrayed in the RKO series was based on "Gay Falcon" created by "Michael Arlen" (née Dikran Kouyoumdjian). Arlen named his sleuth "Gay Stanhope Falcon."

The only other man named Gay I can think of is journalist Gay Talese. In his case, Gay was short for Gaetano.

Kinda name that's just asking for trouble and hardship, IMO. Sorta like the Shel Silverstein song "A Boy Named Sue".
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Miles, you need to tell Holden his answer Lauren Chapin is correct so Holden can post his question before this thread gets off track. Thanks
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

KayFrancis wrote: December 26th, 2022, 7:03 am Miles, you need to tell Holden his answer Lauren Chapin is correct so Holden can post his question before this thread gets off track. Thanks

Yes, Lauren Chapin is certainly correct. Her brother Billy also starred in a baseball movie with Dan Dailey called "The Kid From Left Field". They had
an older brother named Michael Chapin who was also an actor. He starred in a series of "Kid Westerns" in the early fifties with Eilene Janssen.

Holden, It's your turn to post the next question.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Thanks, Miles.
It seems there a lot of missing posts from this thread.
Even the original post is missing with the creator of the thread referred to only as "Guest"!
It appears that posts made by people who are no longer members are no longer visible.

Anyway, next question:

Two female actors both appeared in two different movies released less than year of each other. Each movie was directed by someone considered a highly influential filmmaker, with one of the directors at the end of the their career and one at their peak.
Neither director was ever awarded a competitive Oscar.

Name the two female actors, the two movies and the director of each movie.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 26th, 2022, 11:10 pm Two female actors both appeared in two different movies released less than year of each other. Each movie was directed by someone considered a highly influential filmmaker, with one of the directors at the end of the their career and one at their peak.
Neither director was ever awarded a competitive Oscar.

Name the two female actors, the two movies and the director of each movie.
HoldenIsHere,

Do you mean that the two actresses appeared together in two different movies or that they individually appeared in two different movies?

I'm thinking Harlow starring Caroll Baker and Carol Lynley. Both biopics were produced in 1965. But the directors of those movies (Gordon Douglas and Alex Segal) do not fit your descriptions.