Movie trivia?

Arsan444

Re: Movie trivia?

Post by Arsan444 »

Thank you, Holden.
What was the original ending of Double Indemnity that Billy Wilder filmed but decided not to use?
When in doubt, have another one.
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

What Billy Wilder filmed but did not include with the film was an ending where Walter Neff has recovered from his wounds and has been convicted of
murder and sentenced to death. As Neff enters the gas chamber he stares at Barton Keyes, who is just outside of the chamber.
The original ending in James M. Cain's story has Neff and Phyllis both committing suicide, but the Hayes code at the time frowned on suicide as a way
to end the story, so Wilder wrote his own ending. He decided not to use the gas chamber sequence because it didn't add anything to the story.

Check this out: https://lostmediawiki.com/File:Dblindemnity_chamber.jpg
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Excellent answer, Miles.
It's your turn now.
When in doubt, have another one.
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

Most of us are familiar with the movie "Singin' In The Rain". In the movie the producers of the film "The Dancing Cavalier" attempt to fool their audience into thinking that their star, Lena Lamont, played by Jean Hagen, actually had a fine singing voice as well as an equally fine speaking voice, by assigning young Kathy Selden, played by Debbie Reynolds, to dub both Lena's speaking and singing voice for the film. However, they also succeeded in fooling people watching "Singin' In The Rain" because the voice that you heard in those scenes was not the voice of Debbie Reynolds. Whose voice or voices were heard in those dubbed scenes?
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

This question has been up far too long, so I'll give the answer.

When Debbie Reynolds dubs Jean Hagen's singing voice for the song "Would You" with Gene Kelly, the female voice is actually that of a professional voice artist named Betty Noyes, and when Debbie dubs the speaking voice of Jean Hagen it's actually Jean Hagen's real voice that you hear. Debbie was only nineteen when the movie was filmed and she had a young, high voice. The producers thought that it would be better if they used a more mature voice for the dubbing. So you have Jean Hagen dubbing Debbie Reynolds dubbing Jean Hagen. Rest assured that Debbie's own singing voice was used in the rest of the movie.

The thread is now open.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

This science fiction sequel was originally planned on being a vehicle for then-emerging star Eddie Murphy, who would play a new character interacting with the series' regulars.

Name that film.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: February 18th, 2023, 3:06 pm This science fiction sequel was originally planned on being a vehicle for then-emerging star Eddie Murphy, who would play a new character interacting with the series' regulars.

Name that film.
I think I recall it being in one of the Star Trek films, Lawrence. As I remember it, Murphy is somewhat of a Treker.

(...but I don't recall which one of the series it might've been)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Dargo wrote: February 18th, 2023, 4:03 pm
I think I recall it being in one of the Star Trek films, Lawrence. As I remember it, Murphy is somewhat of a Treker.

(...but I don't recall which one of the series it might've been)
Yes, it was Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home a.k.a. The One With the Whales. Murphy was supposed to play the marine biologist character eventually played by Catherine Hicks.

Your turn!
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

This actor perhaps best known for starring in a popular 1950s televsion program, would also dub the voice for one of the characters in a science fiction movie also of this period.

Name the actor and the film.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Dargo wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:36 pm This actor perhaps best known for starring in a popular 1950s televsion program, would also dub the voice for one of the characters in a science fiction movie also of this period.

Is it Marvin Miller, co-star of The Millionaire TV series, and the voice of Robby the Robot in Forbidden Planet?
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:51 pm
Dargo wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:36 pm This actor perhaps best known for starring in a popular 1950s televsion program, would also dub the voice for one of the characters in a science fiction movie also of this period.

Is it Marvin Miller, co-star of The Millionaire TV series, and the voice of Robby the Robot in Forbidden Planet?
Yep, you got it, Lawrence. Figured this might be an easy one.

(...and so, you're now up)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

This A-list actress was finding some difficulty at the box office by the end of the decade. She took a role in a western that would become one of her most iconic, opposite an actor on the rise appearing in his first western.

Name the actress, the co-star and the film.
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:15 pm This A-list actress was finding some difficulty at the box office by the end of the decade. She took a role in a western that would become one of her most iconic, opposite an actor on the rise appearing in his first western.

Name the actress, the co-star and the film.
Marlene Dietrich, Jack Carson and Destry Rides Again.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I was going for Jimmy Stewart, but the rest is correct.

Your turn.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: February 18th, 2023, 11:10 pm I was going for Jimmy Stewart, but the rest is correct.

Your turn.
LOL

Yeah, considering Jack Carson is only 12th-billed in Destry Rides Again, I was also taken aback a bit when laffite mentioned him instead of Jimmy Stewart.