A shot in the dark...

Marie Dressler?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Re: Do You Know Me?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Nope Moira ... and the rest of the SSO Community wants to take a "crack at it" ...

Not even close ...

Here's some more useful clues ... She did 120 films from 1926 to 1935 ... a former beauty queen ... I did a lot of "short comedies" with one great silent screen actor ... she was loved by many enduring fans (especially my great-grandfather, who talked about her all the time) and was the center of attraction at her hometown - igniting a scandal so bad ... that everyone was so furious about it. She was such a cutie pie!

Repeat of the first clues ... I worked with the greatest male actors from 1926 to 1935. Believe me they were ... LEGENDS

Hope this helps everyone!
She even got an unusual nickname ... add on ...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Here is some more clues everyone ...

I'm a Classic Actress that did movies (over 120 movies, from mid-1920's to mid-1930's) ... one of the most popular actresses in her era ... I even have a neat (easy to remember) nickname ... and I was crowned a beauty queen in one of the 13 original states ... This is all you get. I'm practically giving it away. BY the way, she is one of my favorites ... I just adore her :!:

Any takers ... Silver Screen Oasis Members :?: :?: :?:

Personal Note: I did a report on her in High School in my English Class that I drew her name out of the hat and given 1 month to write it up. It was one of my toughest assignment that I've ever done during my Junior Year.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm never very good at guessing but I'll have a stab in the dark

Clara Bow
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CCF ... close, but, you are on the right track. Believe me, you are ...

Here's some more clues of this great actress ...
1) I'm very intelligence ... that's led to ... what? (profession)
2) Did pictures for Paramount ... did 120 credited/uncredited movies
Note: Most of them were "comedic shorts" ... and I seen many of them in my College Years ...
3) She was a delightful comedienne ... that's makes me :lol:
4) She had an untimely death ... that's sadden many men in that Generation that wanted to see more of her. My Great-Grandfather told me he cried when he found out that she died.
5) She has a wonderful smile ... it's one of the best of that era ... from mid-1920's to mid-1930's.
charliechaplinfan

Jean Harlow?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Closer, Closer, and Closer.

Here's more ...

Right hair color ... she has two neat nicknames ... one of them is "creamy"
charliechaplinfan

I'm getting stuck

Thelma Todd
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

We have a Winner here ...

Allison, your determination finally pays off ... its Thelma Todd folks.

She was a one-time teacher, she has a high i.q. and quite good in all her subject matters ... she was a bookworm of sorts.
Former Miss Massachusetts ... her mother encouraged to enter beauty pageants and that's how she got "noticed"
She was in Monkey Business with the Marx Brothers, worked with Charley Chase Shorts (I seen them all ...), and Laurel and Hardy too.
They were Legends ...
She has two cute nicknames ... "Ice Cream Blonde" and "The Hot Toddy" ... she always managed to keep me laughing ... with the great ones ...

With Groucho Marx in Monkey Business
charliechaplinfan

My goodness, right, I'll get my thinking cap on.
charliechaplinfan

A member of the British Empire is bowing in now, that is I was when I was born just after the end of the 1st World War. I was born in the North West of England although people would be forgiven for thinking that I was born in another part of the Empire due to one of my most famous roles. I trained at RADA, I was in approx 40 films in my career, starting in 1935 and ending in the 1980s. During this time I made film with some of the biggest names in British cinema and was given an award from the Queen for my contribution to film and theatre. who am I?
charliechaplinfan

Have I made it too hard? I thought you'd all see through me and guess it straight away, let me know if you want some more clues before you guess.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I don't think you have made it too hard, Alison! I think it might be James Mason who you are talking about. Could that be right?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

No.

Some more clues

I was lucky enough to be in films directed by Hitchcock, Powell and Pressburger and David Lean. I was nominated for an Academy Award for my portrayal of a historical character. I also occasionally wrote novels and directed stage productions.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Random guess...Dame Peggy Ashcroft?