SPOILERS!

Swithin

Re: SPOILERS!

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: January 17th, 2024, 2:51 pm
Swithin wrote: January 17th, 2024, 9:10 am
Swithin wrote: January 17th, 2024, 4:18 am 1. The film ends with a parade.
2. The film takes place in the United States.
3. A song (instrumental) plays over the opening credits of the film. That same song is sung at the very end of the film, as the parade concludes. The title of the film is taken from the first line of that song.
4. The film's director is one of the best known American directors who has given us some of the greatest films. The film we are going for here may be far from one of his most famous, but he has often said it was his personal favorite (although he may have said that about other films as well).
5. The director (as Dargo guessed) is John Ford.

and the new clue:

The film bears a certain connection to a 1956 Hitchcock film.

And I'll add this bonus clue: the year before the film we're looking for was made, the supporting actor who begins the singing of the song at the end of the film had a dance scene with Hattie McDaniel on her television show!

Today's clue: The song that opens and closes the film (and gives the film its title) is the official state song of an American state.
Ah, I think I've finally got it...and after doing "a little" research here.

I'll bet the film in question is 'The Sun Shines Bright', isn't it Swithin.

(...and yes, I suppose there is a bit of correlation to Hitchcock's 'The Wrong Man')
Congratulations, Dargo! The song, of course, is "My Old Kentucky Home," from which comes the line "The sun shines bright."

But you got the correlation to Hitchcock wrong. That clue about Hitch's 1956 film was to The Man Who Knew Too Much, since that film is a remake/adaptation of Hitch's 1934 version. The Sun Shines Bright is a remake/adaptation of Ford's 1934 film, Judge Priest. The connection is merely that both directors basically remade earlier versions of their own films.

The Sun Shines Bright is a masterful film, though with its Confederate flags and stereotypes, it may be a problem today. But it has incredible heart. Stepin Fetchit (who played the same role for Ford in 1934 and 1953) plays his usual role with a twist: Not only is he a good friend as well as servant to Judge Priest (Charles Winninger), he has an amazing scene in a courtroom in which he basically depicts why he has to perform the roles he performed: in order to succeed: a Black man had to behave like a buffoon in order to survive. The Sun Shines Bright, which takes place in a post-bellum Kentucky town, is filled with humour, sadness, a Black man accused of raping a white woman, parades, music, and the memorable scene of the prostitute's funeral. The film is on YouTube.

Stepin Fetchit, center, in the scene where he explains to the banjo player that he can't play a Yankee tune in a Kentucky courtroom: he has to play "Dixie," and he has to sing and dance for the White men.

The actor who begins the singing of "My Old Kentucky Home" at the end of The Sun Shines Bright is Ernest Whitman, who played Beulah's boyfriend on television. Check out his dance with Hattie McDaniel in this episode of Beulah. The dance is at the 5:30 point.

And the thread is yours, Dargo -- you've earned it!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thanks for your highly informative reply here Swithin, as I have to admit I've never watched this particular John Ford film.

While doing my search for the answer to your clues, I did find that YouTube has posted a copy of the entire film but only watched the opening credits and its ending in order to see if my answer would fit your clues. I'll have to watch the entire film very soon, as you've made it sound as doing so would be quite worthwhile.

I'll also admit here to never before having watched any episodes of that early television sitcom starring Hattie McDaniel, and so appreciate you posting one within your reply to me as well.

It's always fun learning new things, or I guess in this case, old things that I hadn't previously known. Thanks again!

(...I'll now post a new "Spoiler" within the next day)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

As she sits in a cab down the street, she watches as the wanted man she's come to love is being arrested by the police and who had returned to his estranged wife's residence.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: January 18th, 2024, 12:19 am As she sits in a cab down the street, she watches as the wanted man she's come to love is being arrested by the police and who had returned to his estranged wife's residence.
Next clue: The apprehended man drove a truck for a living.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

It's been a very long time since I've seen this film on TCM so my memory is sketchy but I'll give a shot with The Long Haul ?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

KayFrancis wrote: January 19th, 2024, 9:50 am It's been a very long time since I've seen this film on TCM so my memory is sketchy but I'll give a shot with The Long Haul ?
Well done, Kay!

Yep, this Victor Mature starring British film is the one.

(...you're now up)
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thanks Dargo. It's probably at least 10 years ago that I watched The Long Haul on TCM. I remember thinking that Victor Mature and Diana Dors did a good job in this film. Love those British noirs.

Next: a ruthless killer is tortured and killed by mob gangsters
Last edited by KayFrancis on January 20th, 2024, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

The ruthless killer's girlfriend is a wealthy , beautiful young woman looking for excitement
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

JOHNNY COOL
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 20th, 2024, 3:46 pm JOHNNY COOL
Excellent Holden. I thought you might get this one, I know you love Elizabeth Montgomery. Henry Silva as Johnny Cool and Elizabeth as his girlfriend. This one has an interesting backstory. So many cameo appearances, Joey Bishop, Jim Backus, Elisha Cook jr,, Marc Lawrence, Telly Savalas
Sammy Davis Jr, has a role and sings the theme song. Peter Lawford produced the film and William Asher directed the film. Elizabeth and Asher fell in love while making the film, divorced their spouses and married each other. Then came their collaboration on Bewitched. TCM shows Johnny Cool every so often. Not a great film, very violent some plot points don't make sense but good location shots of NYC, LA, Nevada makes it worth watching also because of Elizabeth and the cameos.
Great work Holden, you're up next
😊
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Yes, Kay Francis, I love Elizabeth Montgomery.
BEWITCHED is one of my favorite TV series of all-time.
If Elizabeth Montgomery and William Asher hadn't met, BEWITCHED as we know it would not have come to be.

I'll be be back later with the next spoiler.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Next:

Before the woman can tell her fiancé that she has fallen in love with his brother, the fiancé tells her that he has to break their engagement for a different reason.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Moonstruck
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I should know this one. It's my father's favorite film. He usually asks to see it every three weeks, and I've been seeing it since I was 5 or 6, so, that's a lot of viewings.....
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 2:42 pm Moonstruck
"Snap out of it!"

You are correct, CI.
The movie is Norman Jewison's MOONSTRUCK with its Oscar-winning screenplay by playwright John Patrick Shanley.
The woman was played by Cher (who won a Best Actress Oscar for her work) with Danny Aiello as her fiancé and Nicolas Cage as his brother.

It's your turn