SPOILERS!

BagelOnAPlate

Re: SPOILERS!

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:47 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 1:23 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: May 20th, 2023, 2:54 pm
After he learns he has unknowingly given away his inheritance to charity, the leading man realizes he loves the woman he believed was insane.

Hint: The movie was a comedy distributed by a major Hollywood studio.
Another hint: The movie is set in California.
Another hint: Monogramed underwear play a part in the plot development.
Another hint: In the final shot of the movie, the two main characters are kissing on the caboose of a moving train.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

skimpole wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:45 am Is there anything noteworthy about this film? Or is just a feature from the first three decades of sound film that has been otherwise forgotten?
I wouldn't say the movie is forgotten. There are 200 views of it currently reported on Letterboxd. Some modern online reviewers have called it a hidden gem. It has been shown on TCM at least two times that I can remember.

It is one of the first movies to show a car mobile phone being used. One of the supporting characters has one
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:14 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:47 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 1:23 pm
After he learns he has unknowingly given away his inheritance to charity, the leading man realizes he loves the woman he believed was insane.

Hint: The movie was a comedy distributed by a major Hollywood studio.

Another hint: The movie is set in California.
Another hint: Monogramed underwear play a part in the plot development.
Another hint: In the final shot of the movie, the two main characters are kissing on the caboose of a moving train.
More hints: There are 200 views of it currently reported on Letterboxd. Some modern online reviewers have called it a hidden gem. It has been shown on TCM at least two times that I can remember.

Another hint: It is one of the first movies to show a car mobile phone being used. One of the supporting characters has one.

Another hint: It's in the style of the screwball comedies of the 1930s, but it was made and released after that decade.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

skimpole wrote: May 30th, 2023, 1:57 pm All in a night's work?
No, that's not the movie.

Another hint: The inheritance was in Argentine pesos.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

skimpole wrote: May 31st, 2023, 2:50 am Well it's not on Wikipedia's list of screwball comedies, so it doesn't seem to be a very good one. Nothing about the plot seems to be particularly striking. Who was involved with the movie.
I haven't really posted much about the plot, except for the ending.

Also, I don't see a Wikpedia article that lists all screwball comedies.

Another hint: The cinematography was by the prolific Harry Stradling.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I feel guilty waltzing into this thread at this point, but I guess the answer may be A Millionaire for Christy.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Swithin wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:26 pm I feel guilty waltzing into this thread at this point, but I guess the answer may be A Millionaire for Christy.
Yes!

The movie is A Millionaire For Christy starring Eleanor Parker as Christy and Fred MacMurray as the millionaire.
I love this movie!

The exterior of the scene excerpted in the clip below was filmed on an estate in Santa Monica that at one time belonged to Marion Davies:

Here's the theatrical trailer. Who knew Fred MacMurray was so buff?

Swithin, it's your turn.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thanks Bagel, sounds like a great film.

The main character in this film is holding a sparkler in the final scene.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

No, that's not it. In the final shot with the main character holding the sparkler, a song begins to play that continues over the closing credits. Same song as was over the opening credits.