Napoleon (1927), anyone?

moira finnie
Administrator

Napoleon (1927), anyone?

Post by moira finnie »

Are any of our California correspondents going to the big event when Abel Gance's Napoleon (1927) is shown in Oakland at the Paramount Theatre on Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM? Carl Davis will be conducting his own score during the movie. Here's a glimpse of his first visit to the gorgeous theatre:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Napoleon (1927), anyone?

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

You bet some of us are! MoraldoRubini (Marco), Countessdelave(Paula) and myself (plus my friend Dennis from Las Vegas) are all going to the first screening this Saturday! We've had tix since June and now it's finally here.

There are two 20 minute intermissions and an hour and fifteen dinner break. Moraldo is going with a large group and has separate dinner plans (and reservations) from the Countess, Dennis and me.

But we are sitting in the aisle across from Moraldo so we'll see plenty of him, no doubt.

I saw the previous screening of Napoleon at the Shrine Auditorium back in the late 1970s (or maybe it was the early 1980s) with Carmine Coppola conducting an orchestra performing his score.

I can't wait to see Kevin Brownlow introduce this film, Carl Davis conduct and Abel Gance's masterpiece unfold across the screen of Oakland's Paramount Theater.

Should be fun!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sounds like an experience of a lifetime, Lynn! Below are links to two good articles about the restoration of this masterpiece that were published in the last few days:

Napoléon: The Restoration by Kristen M. Jones@ WSJ Online

'Napoleon' on big screen for 1st time in decades by Mick LaSalle@ The San Francisco Chronicle Online
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I would love to go ... but I'm committed to another function back home and can't get out of it. I would love to see Napoleon 1927
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I just read an interview with Charles Tabesh where TCM is the media sponsor for the event but legal troubles will still keep this one off of TCM for some time to come.

http://theeveningclass.blogspot.com/201 ... class.html
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I was part of history today (along with Moraldo, countessdelave, her friend Cheryl and my friend Dennis), in the audience for the first U.S. screening of the 5.5 hour restoration by Kevin Brownlow of Abel Gance's Napoleon.

My head is still reeling from the last forty five minutes of the film so the recap will have to wait till tomorrow.

But the Carl Davis score was sensational and the film, well all I can say right now is "WOW"!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Lzcutter wrote:But the Carl Davis score was sensational and the film, well all I can say right now is "WOW"!
So glad to read that! :) Can't wait to read your review, Lzcutter.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Lynn, I'll be waiting anxiously for your account of this one-in-a-lifetime experience. If there are any reviews of the event in the American newspapers, please someone post them here; I'm eager to read all about it!...thanks :D
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Before Lynn gives her impressions, you can read Carl Davis' diary:

http://www.carldaviscollection.com/blog ... latestblog
March 24: The day of the show

A technical miracle - everything worked! Witha packed house, queues around the block in heavy rain, the only crisis was where to have lunch? With the rain and the theatre closed for the long dinner break, the solution was the corps de ballet dressing room. The orchestra were in a fine mood especially after the rapt reception as we rose into view. A solemn bow from me and off we went. Held my breath for the 5hour mark when the Triptych begins but it all worked with no discernable hitches.
The audience interacted from the beginning with applause for all the performers credits, scene ends and lots of laughter in all the right places. Because of the curved screen I was in a wonderful position to enjoy the 3 screens - a sort of spectacular wraparound Imax-esque experience! I always have a good hour or so after a show so enjoyed the warmth and hugs of my friends and colleagues but there's always a downside. Tomorrow the whole city of Oakland shuts down for a "Running Festival" ie a marathon! Will my orchestra, technical staff and audience manage to get to the theatre? Put their running shoes on I guess!"
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Christine :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks for sharing, Christine. It is so easy to take for granted all the enormous efforts to bring something to an audience. It is so wonderful that the audience response was overwhelmingly enthusiastic.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for posting these links Christine. I imagine every Classic film buff here would love to be present in any of the showings of this film. It'd be like witnessing a historical event; the achievement of a lifetime for Kevin Brownlow, a one-in-a-lifetime experience for any of us...
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I can't wait for the next performance of the film in London. It should be on November 2013. :P
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

If only, I'll start saving now :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin