Robin Hood the Rascal of Sherwood Forest

cinemalover

Robin Hood the Rascal of Sherwood Forest

Post by cinemalover »

I have always been fascinated with the character of Robin Hood. Growing up The Adventures of Robin Hood was always one of my favorite movies (and I wasn't alone based on the ongoing voting for the best movie we're doing on another thread). But there have been countless versions of Robin Hood over the years. There have been dozens of films, multiple television versions and some scathingly funny cartoon versions (Rabbit Hood 1949, Robin Hood Daffy 1956, Robin Hood Makes Good 1939, etc...). Last year BBC made a very interesting 13 part Robin Hood series.

Whether your tastes run from adventure to drama or comedy it's all there in some form of Robin Hood. We can see Sean Connery as the mature Robin in Robin and Marion 1976 or Cary Elwes as a comic Robin in Robin Hood: Men in Tights 1993. And I don't even want to know what type of Robin we would see in the Ribald Adventures of Robin Hood from 1969.

So the question is, which versions of Robin Hood have you really enjoyed and why. To complicate the question, I am going to throw The Adventures of Robin Hood out of the mix, because it is just too popular. Other than that any version is game. Which do you prefer?

I'm not expecting to read a lot of Kevin Costner love on this thread, but I've been wrong before.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'd say that as a child I remember enjoying a lot Cornel Wilde's 1946 "The Bandit of Sherwood Forest". I haven't seen this film as an adult, so as grown-up I choose Douglas Fairbanks Snr. 1922 version of "Robin Hood" who was the master of this genre. This Silent is pure entertainment from start to finish, has impressive sets and Doug impersonates the character he was born to play. Besides he did the stunts; didn't he?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I love the Walt Disney animated version, 1973, with the wonderful Peter Ustinov as Prince John. But of course the best (though 'thrown out') is Flynn's version. 8) 8)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like the Disney version too but the funniest is the Daffy Duck cartoon. Oh my! I just lose it whenever he's slamming into all those trees, yelling "Yoikes, and away!" :lol:

Wasn't there also an Abbot and Costello take on the story? I remember watching it as a little girl and wondering who the gorgeous guy was who momentarily appeared to weclome the lads to Sherwood Forest...of course, now I know it was a clip of Errol Flynn from TAoRH. :roll:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'd have to go with The Bandit of Sherwood Forest (1946) which I seem to recall fit the former Olympic fencer Cornel Wilde like a glove, (though I believe he was playing Robin Hood's son). I also remember thinking that Anita Louise was perfection as a Maid Marian type. Throw in some good color photography courtesy of one of the Errol Flynn version cinematographers, Tony Gaudio, as well as Henry Daniell and George Macready as baddies, and you've got a good version of the story.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I usually pause when I come across Mel Brooks' (dumb but funny at moments)Robin Hood: Men in Tights--largely because I think that Cary Elwes should've been born about 80 years ago, in order to play the Robin Hood parts in earnest after Errol Flynn abandoned himself to his fate. Well, at least Elwes has Lady Jane and The Princess Bride on his résumé, prior to the dreck he now appears in, such as Saw.

Of course, Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood is the best, bar none. The Fairbanks silent is number two. Wish that TCM would show them back to back!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Apparently I missed something somewhere. I wonder what is wrong with the Kevin Costner version? I liked it. It's not a favorite movie but none of the versions are - I'm not that much of a Robin Hood fan. But for fun, action, and excitement, I thought the Costner version pretty much filled the bill. So, fill me in on what I missed?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

HI Anne,
I think that many Robin Hood devotees are inevitably going to question anyone who attempts to put on the green tights, swing down from Sherwood's ancient trees and show off their archery skills in contemporary cinema, but I believe that many people felt that the Kevin Costner version, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves suffered because of:
1.) Kevin Costner's wavering attempt at an English accent, which came and mostly went throughout the film. Also, this film was made at a time when Costner's career was red-hot, he may not have been at his best in this one, as he tried to be actor/producer/screenwriter/wunderkind, all at the same time. I personally like him much more now that he's a bit more ragged, funnier and chastened by the ups and downs of life.

2.) Morgan Freeman as Robin's right hand man was not universally hailed as a great bit of updating, though the mention of the Crusades as the excuse for Freeman's presence and the always welcome gravitas provided by this good actor probably weren't all bad.

3.) Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Maid Marian--another slightly different choice. I do remember some parents at a screening in 1991 being pretty peeved to find some nudity as well.

4.) Christian Slater as Will Scarlett really irked a great many people, but then Slater in just about anything can put people off at times. He seems better suited to modern, not medieval stories, as many feel all of the above actors do, though certainly Westerns have given Costner and Freeman some of their best roles.

5.) On the plus side is Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham. While watching this, many people felt that the story should've been told entirely from this gifted actor's viewpoint, including me. He's a hoot, as usual.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I gotta go with Fairbanks. His Robin Hood is an incredible film -- nearly the equal of the Flynn movie, IMO.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Anne,
I think Moira hit the high points as to why many don't think Costner was a wise choice to play Robin Hood. He looked a bit old to be playing the part too, though you could explain that away by his treatment while imprisoned I suppose. Rickman was a delicious villain.

I'll definitely side with those that hold the 1922 version in high esteem. I was fortunate enough to see that film with a live score played by the Seattle Symphony. It was a night at the movies that I'll never forget. The sets were huge (though I later learned that at least some of the illusion was thanks to excellent matte paintings) and Fairbanks in hyper active mode is always worth the price of admission.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As I said, I'm not enough of a Robin fan to choose one over the other, I'm not even sure who played him before, but saying Kevin was too old for the part is not acceptable especially when everybody gives such kudos to Cooper as the Sheriff in High Noon, or Audrey's co-star in Love in the Afternoon. Coop was years too old for both parts. The same goes for Kevin Spacey in Beyond the Sea. But actually I wasn't talking about individual roles, I meant the overall look of the movie. I liked the sets, the costume design, the dialog and basically a non-movie buff clicking it on and enjoying just the whole story without any urge to dissect it.

I adore Spacey and think he's been one of the best around for a number of years now, and I liked Coop, so I wasn't picking on them. There are a lot of reasons to make certain movies or do certain parts, money, ego, or simply a love of the material which I think it was on Spacey and Costners' behalves. When that's the case, it's a matter of getting something done now, while you still can.

In any case thank you for the answers. Reading them, I know you're right, I'm just sorry that you are, I guess.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

5.) On the plus side is Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham. While watching this, many people felt that the story should've been told entirely from this gifted actor's viewpoint, including me. He's a hoot, as usual.

Yes! Love Alan Rickman in just about anything, even that silly Tim Allen movie--the one about the guy who stars in a "Star Trek" like TV show? And in "Dogma" (a movie, which though I hated it at first has started to grow on me a little--like fungus? )Anyway, he's a terrific actor and has a great voice.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde