Morning Departure (1950) John Mills, Richard Attenborough

Ollie

Morning Departure (1950) John Mills, Richard Attenborough

Post by Ollie »

Morning Departure is one of a set of Brit War films released on DVD in mid-May, and it stands as a set of powerhouse achievements: writing, acting, construction of the sets, patience for the story to be told - it has it all. John Mills is the skipper of a sub sunk while on peacetime maneauvers, and Richard Attenborough is but one of many actors delivering memorable performances as he morphs under the pressures of the tale.

If this was in my "What would YOU do-?" film competition, this might win against all entries.

It makes me think of two great lines: "Ask not for whom the bell tolls..." and "...the problems of 3 little people don't mean a hill o' beans in this crazy world..."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Ollie, it's a great movie.

Morning Departure is a post war film made in 1950. while filming a tragedy occurred with a real sub sinking with most if not all the crew killed. in the credits the film was quick to point out that the accident happened during filming and was in no way inspired by the tragedy. however, in old age, John Mills said he got several letters from family members of the dead crewmen thanking him for making the film as they took comfort from it.

another actor from the film was Nigel Patrick, who played Mills 2nd in command. he's an underrated actor with The Sound Barrier and possbly his best film League Of Gentlemen to his credit, where he played Jack Hawkins 2nd in command as their ex soldiers gang robs a bank.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN is a great film and almost never shown here. Last year, it made a premiere-of-sorts at one of our local film festivals. It's never been released on R-1 DVD but I've understood that print is still being shown around the country. And it's making it's return to Texas this summer for a 3-day showing.