Powell at War

ChiO

Powell at War

Post by ChiO »

With the possible exception of Nicholas Ray, my appreciation for Michael Powell (with and without Emeric Pressburger) has grown more over the past few years than for any other director. Watching and recording ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT (listed by TCM as NIGHT AMBUSH) yesterday for the first time only deepened that appreciation. He is able to capture (what I perceive as) the reality of war, without reliance on battles, bombs and bloodshed, by putting the focus on the on the individual, soldier and civilian, and his connection to the community where the war has placed him. That theme seems to run through CONTRABAND, 49th PARALLEL, ONE OF OUR AIRCRAFT IS MISSING and A CANTERBURY TALE.

It is tempting, because of the vast difference in tone of their films, to juxtapose Powell's war movies with those of my favorite war movie director, Samuel Fuller, but on reflection they may share more similarities than differences.

Homework assignment: Are Fuller's and Powell's war movies opposite ends of the spectrum or two ways of showing the same thing?

P.S. Given the setting for ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT (Crete), I popped it in for Mrs. ChiO last night. She enjoyed it, but, in classic Mrs. ChiO fashion, said, "It was hard for me to understand the dialogue." She, of course, was referring to the Brits, not the Cretans.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Powell at War

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I recorded this one as it was the only Powell showing that I had not seen (it was a great day for any fan of his work). Glad to know I have a treat ahead of me. 8)