Gunga Din in color?

markfp

Gunga Din in color?

Post by markfp »

When it comes to movies, I've never been a "coulda, woulda, shoulda" person. Whatever way a film was made, that's what we have, and I don't spend much time wondering what if it had made differently.

However, I just watched TCM's "1939" special and in it there's some of George Stevens' color home movies that he shot on location while making GUNGA DIN. The film is great as it is, but if it had been shot in Technicolor it would have been stunning. It was RKO's choice to make in b/w and I'm not finding fault because it certainly came out a classic, but what if....
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Gunga Din in color?

Post by movieman1957 »

I would have thought nearly everything would have been brown... being a desert and all. Khaki uniforms, white wraps (Din himself) but by contrast I bet the sky sure was blue.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Reckon I'm alone on the far side of the field with this one.
Devout Kipling fan that I am, and despite my deep affection for films like King of The Khyber Rifles, Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Kim, Flame Over India, Black Narcissus, and The Man Who Would Be King, and the boulder-like, reassuring presence there of Good Saint Victor McLaglen . . . I just cannot bear to watch this film, and have tried to force my way past the proverbial first reel at least 4 times. In fact, I would rate it nearly as distasteful as Disney's animated Jungle Book from '67.
So, I guess from the standpoint, I'd favor having it shown in color, as that would have helped me switch it off faster.
No disrespect to opposing views intended, but I'd far sooner watch Stan & Ollie serving Her Majesty's Indian government in Bonnie Scotland.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:Reckon I'm alone on the far side of the field with this one.
Devout Kipling fan that I am, and despite my deep affection for films like King of The Khyber Rifles, Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Kim, Flame Over India, Black Narcissus, and The Man Who Would Be King, and the boulder-like, reassuring presence there of Good Saint Victor McLaglen . . . I just cannot bear to watch this film, and have tried to force my way past the proverbial first reel at least 4 times. In fact, I would rate it nearly as distasteful as Disney's animated Jungle Book from '67.
So, I guess from the standpoint, I'd favor having it shown in color, as that would have helped me switch it off faster.
No disrespect to opposing views intended, but I'd far sooner watch Stan & Ollie serving Her Majesty's Indian government in Bonnie Scotland.
You are not alone, Klonny. In fact, the very first time I saw Gunga Din, I sort of thought it was supposed to be a joke; maybe a Three Stooges parody? And Sam Jaffe, coated in brown shoe polish, in his dhoti, bravely trumpeting during the battle -- didn't anyone else see how very ridiculous that scene was? He looked like he just stepped out of a Miami Beach schvitz (steambath).
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The far side of the field is getting crowded. I find it painful to watch.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Sorry I thought it a great film with Cary Grant outstanding as the cockney Sargeant Archibald Cutter. It was like Indianna Jones movies full of escapism
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey, Stu, don't feel like the Lone Ranger!
Differences of opinion are ALWAYS welcome here on the Silver Screen Oasis, and we're all more than a little indebted to you for all the fine threads you author, and the contributions you post in others (and the fact that you're a Scot sure doesn't hurt ya none in my book!).
After all, opposing viewpoints fuel horse races, elections and some of the most rewarding film discussions all around the world.
(You know like the ones we have here!)
Besides, it's not like I can make a case for there being anything wrong with Gunga Din from a cinematic or technical viewpoint . . it just struck a sour note with me, and I couldn't find a way to enjoy it.
I also remember the time [on a different message board] that I tried desperately to defend my staunchly grounded opinion that Joseph Losey's much-maligned Boom featured a more pivotal breakthrough role for Elizabeth Taylor than had BUtterfield 8, or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, or Giant ! Man, I was knee-deep in cyber-tomatoes that day! :lol:
markfp

Post by markfp »

klondike wrote: No disrespect to opposing views intended, but I'd far sooner watch Stan & Ollie serving Her Majesty's Indian government in Bonnie Scotland.
What if they had made BONNIE SCOTLAND in color..... (just kidding)

Hey, I don't mind if people take an opposite view. It would be pretty boring around here if we all agreed about everything.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Mark,

The color footage of *Gunga Din* is great. I saw a bunch of it in the presentation before the recent screening of Din at the Academy.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... emy#p47386

The audience really loved the home movie footage and I was reminded of it again tonight in watching the encore broadcast (via Tivo) of the new 1939 documentary airing this month on TCM.

As much as I love the home movie footage and the color footage of Din, I'm glad the film was made in black and white. It makes it more realistic for me and less Hollywoodish.

If that makes any sense.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese